PDA

View Full Version : Question about removing emissions stuff on a carb car

ScottD
03-09-2009, 08:34 AM
I recently bought a 1986 Plymouth Turismo 2.2 with the high output 110hp carb'd engine.

I'm going to be doing some routine maintenance on it here shortly and am planning on removing the air pump and all that other emissions garbage.

I'm also planning on putting on a Weber carb.

My question is when taking off the Holley carb that has the 02 feedback on it, is it pointless to leave the 02 sensor in? Will the 02 sensor have any function without the feeback carb there?

turbo84voyager
03-09-2009, 10:36 AM
It should not have any function at all. I would leave it in and connect it to a gauge for tuning. Make sure you leave the coolant sensor and the vacuum line going to the ECU connected. The only thing that might cause a problem is the carburetors have a switch which tells the ECU if it is at idle or not. I am not sure if you need that.

ScottD
03-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks Justin, good suggestion on the tuning aspect.

Tim
04-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Don't waste your time and effort trying to tweak another 6 horsepower out of the carbureted motor.

GO TURBO!!!!:thumb:

contraption22
04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
I will have to find it, but somewhere on another website, I found an article about a guy that used a turbo blow-thru intake on his carbed motor. He left the factory spark computer in place to handle the ignition, and used megasquirt to handle the fuel. He was getting over 40mpg in a Turismo 5 speed, and much better drivability and power.

ScottD
04-28-2009, 12:40 PM
P.S.. I'm jealous and I want that Turismo.