PDA

View Full Version : 1 3/4 I/O... even worth using?

DeckSetter
04-12-2006, 02:51 PM
My van has a Probe cooler mounted by the previous owner. The inlet and outlet are both 1 3/4", which looks like it's about 1/2" smaller than the throttle body diameter. Is this cooler even worth using, or should I just scrap it unless I can come up with a dual core setup?

tryingbe
04-12-2006, 02:59 PM
The opening of your throttle is 46mm.
1 3/4 is about 44.4mm

Keep the ic.

89DaytonaTII
04-12-2006, 03:32 PM
the thing is junk, upgrade :)

DeckSetter
04-12-2006, 03:46 PM
The opening of your throttle is 46mm.
1 3/4 is about 44.4mm

Keep the ic.

Just went out and measured. The inlet / outlet on the cooler take a 1 3/4" hose, but inside diameter of the cooler I/O are only about 1 5/8". Whatever the throttle body is, it appears to take a 2 1/4" hose. Won't I get a lot of pressure drop from this?

I don't want to take the time / spend the money to plumb this thing in and then upgrade again in a month. Don't get me wrong here, I haven't had this van long (only about a month) but it's not going to stay stock by any means. I'm hoping to finish the 5spd swap, get 3" exhaust, a garret, and intercool it, and run as much boost as the stock fuel allows by September 14 (my birthday). That's the current goal, anyway... By that point, would the dinky cooler be a major cork?

cordes
04-12-2006, 03:55 PM
To not buy the plumbing, couplers, and clamps that you will be needing for your long term goals costs a lot of money and time.

I would pick up the best IC you can afford, and preferably the one that will support the HP you want and then some. Do it once, do it right.

tryingbe
04-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Whatever the throttle body is, it appears to take a 2 1/4" hose. Won't I get a lot of pressure drop from this?

It's NOT the outside of throttle body that counts. It's that little butterfly plate IN it. It's 46mm in diameter.

Use the probe IC as is, until you have money to buy better.

Plus, if Gary used it to run 14's on, it can't be that bad.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/the_caravan.html

JuXsA
04-12-2006, 08:28 PM
I have an IC forsale. do a search for it in the forums. I will sell it cheap. I need the money

WVRampage
04-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I was running a probe I/C on my rampage for a while then I went to a starion I/C it worked good and i ended up breaking loose a end tank and now iv got one of the big 200 dollar ones from ebay and it works great but the probe if you have it and its in there and all you have to do is plumb it run it then upgrade to a big one.

R/T
04-12-2006, 10:37 PM
My Son's 86 GTS draw thru went 14.19 with one of those....

Not the greatist, but they are OK.

Dave
04-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Yup, they're not the best, but it's way better than no intercooler. Plumbing is relatively cheap if you use NAPA. Buy some radiator hose with some bends, buy some piping, clamps, and you're ready to go. Half of that piping you'll be able to use again. I gaurantee it. As long as you use the right diameter that you'll always be using.

tryingbe
04-13-2006, 09:08 AM
My napa wants $32 for a 11inch long 2.5inch radiator house.

I said thanks, but no thanks. If I have to buy that much, I might as well buy pipings and silicone hoses.