PDA

View Full Version : Can I add 12V sockets?

The S is Silent
12-24-2005, 10:28 PM
I just thought of something...

I'm thinking about how to use my iPod in the car without any of those stupid FM modulators. I have an alpine head unit with the Ai-net port in the back, so I'm going to get an Ai-net to RCA cable, and then get an RCA to headphone cable to plug into the iPod...this takes care of my audio signal.

Down the road, I may invest in one of the units from Alpine that allow me to control it through my head unit...but that's for later.

Can I get a cigarette lighter from another car and wire it up in the van (the bay underneath the cup holders and factory 12v socket.) I'd like to be able to do this for 2 reasons...1) I can hide the power cords and run them behind the center console to the location where I want to keep the iPod and 2) I want to keep my factory socket open for things like a cell phone.

Could the van's electrical system handle the extra load of having a second 12v socket, and could it handle both of them being used at the same time?

Turbodave
12-29-2005, 01:18 PM
I don't think an Ipod is going to draw too many amps, it shouldn't be a problem. Radio Shack sells extra 12V outlets you can wire in.

BadAssPerformance
12-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Yep, the shack, and some auto parts stores... Did that to add some blue 12V Christmas lights to the CSX years ago. :thumb: