PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft Sensor

1qk4dr
03-07-2009, 01:44 AM
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Camshaft-Position-Sensor-BWD_18480003-P_985_R%7CGRPSENSAMS_528115806___

I'm looking what are my options. What camshaft sensor can replace the stock TIII one. Will the above one work?

I saw this below on alternate parts-
Camshaft Position Sensor:
Borg Warner CSS74
Where can I find one of these and what vehicle was this part number designed for.

turbovanmanČ
03-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Not sure, I don't think anyone has replaced it yet.

For that price, try it, :D

moparfwdsleeper
03-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Hope this helps...

GP Sorensen part # CSS40 $38.88 normally stocked (Advance Auto Parts)

It requires cutting the plastic back around the plug, and soldering the pigtail from your old sensor (or a spare HEP... same connector:) ) to the terminals. It also requires filing a flat into the plastic body of the new sensor in the same location as the flat on the stock sensor. Other than that, it's a drop-in replacement. The body is the same length, and the bolt hole is in the right spot.
I just got my Spirit running off of one today, so no long term results yet, but it's working great so far. :thumb:
Maybe someone else can benefit from my experimenting. Sure beats paying $150-$200 for one.:)

1qk4dr
03-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Hope this helps...

I remember reading that a while ago but couldn't find it. My sensor works now but The mounting piece broke off and I have a washer and bolt holding it on there. I'll have to try this out sometime.

Thanks btw

moparfwdsleeper
03-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Glad it helped. I'll be buying one of these and modifying it so if it ever happens its in the glove box ready lol

lotharamc
03-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I just looked and the CSS40 is a sensor mounting bracket (@ Advance auto). The # may have changed.

Wasn't this one for the crankshaft sensor anyway? It would still be fairly easy to make work in the cam sensor's location if it were.

My R/T has been running off the caravan sensor in the first post of this thread, so that at least can be done for sure.

Andy

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Hope this helps...

That's for the crank sensor, Tony did that.

Hemlock
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
I have some sensors that look the same as that CSS-50 on the sensor end, but it has the same wiring plug in as the stock T3 cam sensor. I got them from a guy that worked for Chrysler, he said they functioned the same, just needed to be made to fit. I started messing with one, but since I don't have any T3 cars now, I lost interest. If anyone wants to try one of these, I would sell them pretty reasonably.

moparfwdsleeper
03-10-2009, 12:05 AM
That's for the crank sensor, Tony did that.

I didn't know if he was on here or not, remembered it from TD:p

And good point, WTF was I thinking LOL

RJ138
03-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Doesn't the cam sensor from the 3.3L work? I vaguely remember they did and you just had to make a small bracket to get the sensor in the right location.