PDA

View Full Version : flywheel question.

2.5L_Turbo_Sundance
03-04-2009, 02:38 PM
hey guys, i am planning on building a turbo 5 speed car. i am picking up the shell today.

now i have a 5 speed tranny i can drop in it, but i am not sure of the motor, i need to talk with my brother.

now i was jsut wondering if it was the same on the 2.2 and the 2.5.

the tranny is on a 2.2 right now.

thanks
Alex

85daytona
03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=133&products_id=330 This suggest that there is only 1 flywheel for both and I'm pretty sure thats right. Remember to get it neutrally balanced and resurfaced.

mcsvt
03-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Yes same flywheel.

But early blocks were 6 bolt vs. 8 bolt for the later blocks.

2.5L_Turbo_Sundance
03-04-2009, 07:24 PM
ok but if i have the older block with the newer tranny, i should be ok?

i htink my choices for engines right now are either a 2.2 out of 90 or 91 lebaron, 2.2 out of 86 laser, or a 2.5 out of 89 sundance.

im trying to stay away from the 2.5 even though it is a better block, i heard, but my brother is building a race omni and it would be better if he had that one... so its up to either of those 2 blocks, or it will have to be the 2.5...

depends on which he gives me.

Alex

shelbymonster
03-04-2009, 07:52 PM
ok but if i have the older block with the newer tranny, i should be ok?

yes if you have the appropriate flywheel

i htink my choices for engines right now are either a 2.2 out of 90 or 91 lebaron, 2.2 out of 86 laser, or a 2.5 out of 89 sundance.

86 im pretty sure its a 6 bolt crank , 87 and up is 8 bolts (correct me if im wrong)

im trying to stay away from the 2.5 even though it is a better block, i heard, but my brother is building a race omni and it would be better if he had that one... so its up to either of those 2 blocks, or it will have to be the 2.5...

i like the 2.2 for the reving and 2.5 for the torque , it depends in what body you put it in

depends on which he gives me.

Alex

give us news

85daytona
03-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Are you sure the 90 lebaron is really a 2.2 or really a 1990?
If it is definitely grab it because it means its the turbo II with the stronger common block and forged 2.2 crank which is what you would want for the omni. less torque slightly higher rev range. That will be an 8 bolt crank and would work perfectly with the newer transmission.

shelbymonster
03-04-2009, 08:46 PM
true 85 daytona , in 89 only turbo II have 2.2 , exept omni n/a 89 up, all year trans work with the appropriate flywheel

85daytona
03-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Ya allpar has some conflicting info says TII is 1990 lebaron on one page then the other says only up to 1989.
http://www.allpar.com/eek/LeBaronCoupe.html
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/22.html

Anyway the best thing to get would be a common block and find a 2.2 forged crank to put in it.

BadAssPerformance
03-04-2009, 11:09 PM
2.2L turbo in '89 is T-II and 2.2L turbo in '90 is T-IV

Lotsa errors on allpar... Turbodave's VIN decoder in our KC is very helpful :thumb:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=3

2.5L_Turbo_Sundance
03-05-2009, 10:36 AM
ok the motor out of the baron is a vnt motor.

the tranny is the one off of that car/engine, and most likely it is what i am dropping in the car.

the car is an 89 tona es, originally 2.5 turbo 5 speed.

i jsut bought this clean shell yesterday.

anywho, thanks for the help and i will keep updated if i do seperate the engine and tranny.. if i get to use that motor and tranny, i will not seperate them.

oh and will the 2.5( from daytona) harness and pcm work with the 2.2 or do i need the 2.2 harness?

wont get to work on the car till sunday.. but i will keep updated.

thanks again
Alex

mcsvt
03-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Harness will work, but a new cal would be preferred.

2.5L_Turbo_Sundance
03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
ok yea my brother say i can have the motor but i cant have that vnt turbo on it :lol:

but we got a few that i can pick from.

but for the main part the harness is the same?

Alex

Chris W
03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
ok yea my brother say i can have the motor but i cant have that vnt turbo on it :lol:

but we got a few that i can pick from.

but for the main part the harness is the same?

Alex

You wouldn't want the turbo for a performance application anyway. There are much better choices out there.

Chris-TU

2.5L_Turbo_Sundance
03-19-2009, 09:51 AM
ok update.

i got the motor out of the laser(86)

the flexplate on it right now is a 8bolt.

so in 86 the 2.2L had 8 bolt.. unless it is a newer motor... which i will look tomorow, since its my next day off.

where are the numbers located at on these motors?

i will be swapping the intake to a TII intake with a TII turbo.

i will need to rebuild the turbo... so how hard is it to find a kit?

also there is an "issue" that im not sure about... because my brother is telling me this but im not sure if its true.

axle shafts.
i believe they were off a 525 in the daytona. those came with the shell.
im putting a 555 in there(i think those are the numbers my brother told me)

he says nothing will fit...

i have everything to hook it up.. shift linkage clutch cable, axles and everything... but the way he is talking, it is pretty much useless for me.... cause he says it wont fit and its all different...

so what am i to do? we have axles and stuff, but i would rather use what i have rather then take it from him... and have to give him a bigger check:lol:

anyways, im jsut wondering if it will work or if i do need to go and get thew other axles and shift cables.

thanks
Alex

t3rse
03-19-2009, 11:24 AM
I have a fresh 8 bolt flywheel for sale if you need it (pm me)

Casting codes are on the back of the block just above the oil pan on the passenger side

tryingbe
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
87 and newer axles of any K-car will work for you.

2.5L_Turbo_Sundance
03-20-2009, 11:24 AM
ok thanks and where can i find a date of production for the tranny?

i will be looking at all that when i get home aroud 3:00 this afternoon.

and i am also going to take the turbo off of the sundance and grab an intake off of the shelf and work on it make sure its good and all... probably polish the inside too ;)

Alex

t3rse
03-20-2009, 01:08 PM
the transmission has a tag on top of it under the air box just under the timing window on the trans that will give you the information you need...it will be a round disk riveted onto the trans

puppet
03-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Wouldn't that be a small spline 568 from the vnt?

tryingbe
03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Or turbo mini-van.

2.5L_Turbo_Sundance
04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
another update...

now looking for a 555 since that is what it came with originally and it is what i have parts for...

that i know of... will have everything verified by my friend who knows lots more then me about TD's

anywho, i already have a thread for the tranny, but if anyone is selling one, please let me know alexakaad1@yahoo.com or pm me, or jsut let me know....

motor is stripped down now and about to be "inspected" for what i need to get.

i was looking for numbers but forgot the location when i got home and my computer crashed... so i have to use the one at school.... so i will try to remember and find out... but it is an old block because it has the plate for where the manual fuel pump usually goes...

alright... well that is my update...

Alex