PDA

View Full Version : leather rejuvination

tommyturbo
03-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi All,
So the 85 turbo z I picked up has the cool bunched leather enthusiast seats in leather. It's kinda dry, but not ripped /torn/ or anything. Anyone know of a good way to bring the softness back? What products, etc.
Thanks.

SpiritedShelbys
03-03-2009, 08:01 PM
lexol... treat it once or more/week for old stuff you want to keep. If it were older I'd use lexol and then a steady diet of any skin moisturizer since that's more affordable than lexol... but our leathers are of the cheap kind.

tommyturbo
03-03-2009, 08:13 PM
can you give me a product name for skin moisturizer? will the lexol help soften it up again? I've never used it.

SpiritedShelbys
03-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Oh yeah lexol works great but I've also had good results with maguires leather conditioner too. It all depends on you. Personally, I only use the leather conditioners (lexol) on TD leathers since it's an old inferior quality leather. Other than that jergens, neutrogena skin moisturizers you can buy at any grocery store. Thing is, you have to keep it moistened and out of the sun as much as possible. I treat my leather stuff once a week or more depending upon the conditions. It's much cheaper than replacing the leather...

johnl
03-03-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't know what is actually best but I've got the same Shelby Z front seats in the Ramerati and I used the stuff they sell at the local "feed and seed" hardware store for horsey leather goods: neatsfoot oil, which comes in a bottle and mink oil, which is actually a paste that comes in a tub. Both products will sit on the tanned surface of the leather for a day or two before being absorbed; they don't really evaporate. Where there are cracks in the tanning, the leather sucks it up right away. So far so good and sad to say the car is outdoors, driven all the time.