PDA

View Full Version : SDAC-19 Judgement Call

neonsox
03-01-2009, 12:19 PM
I live in Massachusetts, about 800 miles from Cincinnati. Lodging is all set due to family, but I don't have a trailer. I'm wondering what people 500+ miles away from these events do. Do I just put the 1600 miles on the Lancer and drive it? Can I rent a truck/trailer combo for anywhere close to a decent amount of money and tow it? What is usually done? This is my first year really planning to hit the events, so I'm wondering what all you wiley veterans do to keep your cars from racking up the mileage.

"Top Fuel" Bender
03-01-2009, 12:39 PM
If your car is reliable and doesn't usually break because you maintain it
then just drive it and say heck with the miles on the car, the experience is worth more then the mileage
If it's a hard hitting dragcar/road race car then yeah trailer it

Some of the west coast folks like to rent cars and then hit it with the :nx:
Allen = nitrous 300C and Catty
Dave and Joe had a blast renting a PT Cruiser conv.

denviola
03-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Will be trailering car this year, mainly because I never had one of my own cars ready and either drove the Ram to 15 and 16, (missed 17) and last year towed another member's car and we shared as part of the deal.

Another great reason to trailer is that wife is coming with me this year, and if she wants to vacation doing something else there she would still have a vehicle to use. Looks like you said family is coming in your post, so you may want to consider trailering to keep the family option open.

Denny

neonsox
03-01-2009, 04:48 PM
No family coming, family out there to stay with for the 5 days. I'm sure the car would make it just fine, I'm just trying to keep the mileage down. Judging by the pictures though it's a great experience worth the trip. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Gaboon
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
All but one year I've driven mine to SDAC and most times it's quite a hike for me living in Canucistan.

I run it hard when I'm there on top of it. If it breaks, oh well, I'll fix it.

I normally bring a spare tranny and numorous axles just in case.

BadAssPerformance
03-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I drove the Z to 7 and 8 and had to repair the car to get it home from 7. I have trailered it since mainly cuz I race it and racing puts way more abuse on it than just driving. If I wasnt racing, I would probably drive a car out instead :thumb:

Anyone from your area going? Always good to caravan in numbers. At least meet up with someone on the way not too far from home :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
All but one year I've driven mine to SDAC and most times it's quite a hike for me living in Canucistan.

I run it hard when I'm there on top of it. If it breaks, oh well, I'll fix it.

I normally bring a spare tranny and numorous axles just in case.

Yeaj, but you're hardcore Joey! :thumb: :hail:

Turbo3Iroc
03-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Yea Crazy Canadians lol.

If you're not planning on racing then I'd say drive. Your car is mint and has been well maintained. I wouldn't doubt it making the trip. There's a few of us from the area that go every year.

1FastCSX289
03-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Or you could tow your car like me, break your car at the track and STILL get stuck because you break your tow vehicle on the way home. I cant win.:banghead:

Gaboon
03-16-2009, 03:12 PM

Hard core...Missing a few brain cells....It's a toss up really.:cheer2:

BadAssPerformance
03-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Hard core...Missing a few brain cells....It's a toss up really.:cheer2:

Hey! I was trying to hide the fact that you and Pat share a brain! ;)

BadAssPerformance
03-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Yea Crazy Canadians lol.

If you're not planning on racing then I'd say drive. Your car is mint and has been well maintained. I wouldn't doubt it making the trip. There's a few of us from the area that go every year.

Sounds like a NE caravan? :thumb:

Gaboon
03-16-2009, 03:16 PM

Yea Crazy Canadians lol.

Actually, I think I'll tow it this year.

The stress that goes along with driving it down, knowing I'm going to beat on it and it could potentially break, which would mean I'd have to fix it and that would obviously cut into my drinking time.....And we won't be having any of that!

black86glhs
03-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Be wary of hitch-hikers...LOL!

Gaboon
03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey! I was trying to hide the fact that you and Pat share a brain! ;)

Mine's Biggier!:nod:

Oh wait, you're talking about brain....Never miind.

neonsox
03-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I think I might wait until SDAC is held closer. I've already secured tix for Carlisle and Lime Rock, so it will be a lot of driving as it is. I beat the snot out of it yesterday on some back roads, hitting 15 (14.7) psi a couple times. She ran good and I didn't lose not one center cap this time :clap:

Eh, I don't know.

Edit: And yes, I let car idle for 2-3 minutes so everything would cool down. No bangin' gears or any of that either. Damn that was fun though. The Neon (SXT) can't do that!

minigts
03-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Quit crying, just decide to go. I drove 12 hours last time from Memphis to Detroit and 12 hours STRAIGHT when I drove back in the middle of the night. You can do it, we can help. :)

BadAssPerformance
03-16-2009, 06:44 PM

The stress that goes along with driving it down, knowing I'm going to hand the keys to Reeves and tell him to do nitrous burnouts and it could potentially break, which would mean I'd have to fix it and that would obviously cut into my drinking time.....And we won't be having any of that!

"beat on it"? LOL... I fixed it for ya ;)

BadAssPerformance
03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Quit crying, just decide to go. I drove 12 hours last time from Memphis to Detroit and 12 hours STRAIGHT when I drove back in the middle of the night. You can do it, we can help. :)

Thats the spirit :clap: Heck, if you cant bring a car, chip in on gas for somone and tag a ride, most fun of the year!!!

Turbo3Iroc
03-16-2009, 07:37 PM

The stress that goes along with driving it down, knowing I'm going to beat on it and it could potentially break, which would mean I'd have to fix it and that would obviously cut into my drinking time.....And we won't be having any of that!

Yes Priorities!

My brakes shafted me last year. Spent all day Sat wrenching :banghead:

Companynine
03-17-2009, 05:41 PM
I drove my Lancer to SDAC-16 in Topeka. Lost the starter solenoid on the way there. By the time I got home, both outer CV joints had blown the boots out, I'd lost the A-arm bushings and motor mounts. Shortly after, both the front crank and intermediate shaft seals had crapped out.
I never even raced it, and I couldn't get it fixed for 17 or 18.

If I can get a chance to work on it soon, I will probably still drive it to 19. I worked my --- off getting it ready to roll for that trip, but I honestly didn't care that it started to come apart like that. It's a 20 year old hatchback! Even so, it is such a nice car to drive when it isn't falling apart!

sdac guy
03-17-2009, 07:52 PM
I drove my Lancer to SDAC-16 in Topeka. Lost the starter solenoid on the way there. By the time I got home, both outer CV joints had blown the boots out, I'd lost the A-arm bushings and motor mounts. Shortly after, both the front crank and intermediate shaft seals had crapped out.
I never even raced it, and I couldn't get it fixed for 17 or 18.

If I can get a chance to work on it soon, I will probably still drive it to 19. I worked my --- off getting it ready to roll for that trip, but I honestly didn't care that it started to come apart like that. It's a 20 year old hatchback! Even so, it is such a nice car to drive when it isn't falling apart!And a darn good looking Lancer it is Tim! :thumb: Here's a pic from then ... The Companynine Lancer (http://www.sdac.org/sdac_photo_pages/car_show_16/pages/160923a.html)

Barry

30 PSI SHADOW
03-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Dont worry, there will be plenty of guys in our group to convoy with! Far as i know, its Kelly G,Jon B,Garry M, and of course, ME!

Bill Baker

Aries_Turbo
03-18-2009, 12:05 AM
drive it. you know if something breaks, a ton of crazies will converge on the car and fix it. something like that happens every year. blown trans/clutch/etc and there are always spare parts and hands to help.

Im looking to bring my daytona and it doesnt even run right now lol.

brian

neonsox
03-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Convoy! Sweet. I'd do that and feel good knowing I have some expertise driving alongside me for the trip. I'm sure she would make the trip, but the car is 20+ years old and !@#$ happens. And then there's the mileage, but these cars like to be driven.

I'll talk it over with you SDACNE guys at the Redhook meeting and book the time off again in the meantime just in case.

Sloride
03-25-2009, 01:37 PM
drive it. you know if something breaks, a ton of crazies will converge on the car and fix it. something like that happens every year. blown trans/clutch/etc and there are always spare parts and hands to help.

brian

'The convergence' should be a raffle prize... If your name gets drawn...you trailer your broke --- ride to be fixed by the mob of tders... you would also supply the beer.

BadAssPerformance
03-25-2009, 01:45 PM

brian

Exactly, parking lot wrenching happens about every year...

Is this a Bucar vs. Frank race to see who can have a Daytona ready by SDAC? ;)

mcsvt
03-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Dont worry, there will be plenty of guys in our group to convoy with! Far as i know, its Kelly G,Jon B,Garry M, and of course, ME!

Bill Baker

Just need to find me a trailer before SDAC :eyebrows:

Aries_Turbo
03-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Is this a Bucar vs. Frank race to see who can have a Daytona ready by SDAC? ;)

frank might have the daytona ready for sdac 23.....

i should have mine there even though i just found out today that the bottom end is siezed! 87 real T2 siezed :(. bummer.

thats ok, picked up the phone and 30 sec later i had a 2.5L and 523 trans ready to go. :)

Brian

Rampage16V
06-19-2009, 11:37 PM

If thats the case I wanna do a burn out in it too this year!!

cordes
06-19-2009, 11:44 PM
I think I might wait until SDAC is held closer. I've already secured tix for Carlisle and Lime Rock, so it will be a lot of driving as it is. I beat the snot out of it yesterday on some back roads, hitting 15 (14.7) psi a couple times. She ran good and I didn't lose not one center cap this time :clap:

Eh, I don't know.

Edit: And yes, I let car idle for 2-3 minutes so everything would cool down. No bangin' gears or any of that either. Damn that was fun though. The Neon (SXT) can't do that!

If you have family in the area there is really no way you can go wrong. Worse case scenario is that you will use the cash which would have gone to a room for a parking lot fix. There are enough spare parts and knowledgeable guys hanging around to fix about anything.

You're not kidding. I couldn't believe you left so late to drive through the night. Didn't you work the next morning too? That was great!

neonsox
06-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Not going to make SDAC this year, but will be making Carlisle. Maybe next year if it's closer.

Aries_Turbo
06-20-2009, 02:05 AM
SDAC is far superior to carlisle. skip carlisle and go to SDAC.

Brian

cordes
06-20-2009, 09:47 AM
SDAC is far superior to carlisle. skip carlisle and go to SDAC.

Brian

I've never been to Carlisle, but I find it hard to believe any car event would be friendly to the Shelby Dodges and top SDAC both. :nod:

sdac guy
06-20-2009, 11:43 AM
I've never been to Carlisle, but I find it hard to believe any car event would be friendly to the Shelby Dodges and top SDAC both. :nod:Carlisle is pretty much the supreme car show for Mopars. It is on a well maintained grassy field with plenty of hard top lanes separating the areas. In the years that SDAC was going there would be about 2000 cars on the show field and the Shelby/FWD classes would have 60-70 cars. It is a really nice show and worth anyone's time to go there at least once just to say they've been to Carlisle. The swap meet and vendor area is enormous. But it is basically just a show and swap.

SDAC has a show and swap but is much more of a well rounded event with racing and other events. It isn't really fair to compare the two, but like Carlsile, once you go to an SDAC event, you wanna go back next year. :thumb:

If the Carlisle was closer for me, and the motels a bit cheaper SDAC would still be there every year. It is a really nice relaxed atmosphere!

Barry

Aries_Turbo
06-20-2009, 12:03 PM
yeah carlisle is good, but SDAC is the total package! :)

Brian

denviola
06-22-2009, 08:03 AM
SDAC and Carlisle are two different animals.

Very simply, SDAC is 100% about our cars and all the events are for the members. At Carlisle, we are a small part of the show with different things we do for our gang. If registering at Carlisle, please list Shelby Dodge Auto Club as your club affiliation. If we get enough of these, the SDAC tent on the grounds (usually right at our car show area) is free. It is unfortunate that with all the FWD cars we rarely make the freebie.

Anyhow as Barry listed above, Carlisle is all Mopars, although dominated by muscle cars. The flea market is nicely sized and there are activities such as the kickoff car show Thursday night, drags Friday night, burnout and bikini contests Saturday evening followed by the SV club sponsored picnic Saturday evening for Turbo fans.

The Carlisle SV picnic post will be up in a few days, just a couple details to wrap up.

denny