PDA

View Full Version : Securing Center Caps

neonsox
02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
What's the best way to secure the Shelby Lancer center caps so they don't fly off and drain my wallet? I could just take them on/off/on/off etc but I'd be willing to bet that's how the teeth get worn out. I was thinking JB Weld or some kind of epoxy but I don't want to ruin the wheels or the caps either. Any suggestions?

contraption22
02-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Personally, I would take them off and put them only for special occasions. Or get some inexpensive aftermarket black wheels that you don't have to worry about as much.

If not, I would try rubber cement. It's fairly easily removable from smooth surfaces.

Turbo3Iroc
02-27-2009, 01:39 PM
I had a set of CSS wheels and sold them because of this. I didn't have the caps anyway but I hated the way they looked with the hubs exposed all the time. I did a lot of research trying to find out what cap was on this set in the knowledge center with few leads.
Scroll about halfway:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=33

These were the best I could come up with but decided on selling the set and opting for something bigger in diameter to run in the summer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270315788108&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

neonsox
02-27-2009, 03:36 PM
I'd like to keep the whole car stock looking, so I'll be sticking with the CSS wheels. I guess I'm not sure where the surfaces mate and what to use. I've heard silicon, super glue, etc. Those eBay center caps don't look too bad though and might make a nice "en route" set to at least cover the hubs while driving to meetings and shows.

Any other adhesive suggestions?

GLHS60
02-27-2009, 03:56 PM
I use windshield urethene to do stuff like that. It holds extremly well but needs to be cut when you need to remove the part.

Thanks
Randy

DC Turismo
03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
You also have to worry about whether you plan on getting tires changed or not. In that case, I wouldn't want to put anything too secure on there that you'd end up having trouble popping the centers off safely when you need to.

I'd find a substitute centercap and find a local print shop to make you up a CS decal to put in the center. That's what I plan on doing when I install my CSS rims someday so I can keep the centercaps I do have perfect and not have to worry about hitting a pot hole or have one fly off.

ScottD
03-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I had a K car with the turbine wheels on it. These had the large plastic center cap that always fell out. I beefed up the mounting tabs by wrapping electrical tape around them. It made them fit snug but you could still get them off. Maybe you can do something similar with these SL caps.

neonsox
03-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I had a K car with the turbine wheels on it. These had the large plastic center cap that always fell out. I beefed up the mounting tabs by wrapping electrical tape around them. It made them fit snug but you could still get them off. Maybe you can do something similar with these SL caps.

That sounds less invasive than any type of epoxy so I'll give it a look. :nod:

ScottD
03-04-2009, 03:11 PM
You can "adjust" the fit too with more or less tape. I did the same thing with the center caps on the factory wheels on my 90 Dakota Sport convertible. Just be sure to wrap it tight so it stays on.

HoverFish
03-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I had forgotten until now but I did that exact same thing once on my 92 Chevy Silverado. Worked very well.