PDA

View Full Version : Running Rich?

CletusJones
04-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Car: 87 Daytona 2.5L TBI

It seems like my car is running a little rich. When I start the vehicle the exhaust seems to smell a little like raw fuel and I've noticed that the fuel gauge moves a little faster than I think it should. My odometer doesn't work so I can't calculate fuel mileage, but it seems like the car is running rich. It also seems to misfire at idle a little bit when cold but smooths out very nicely once it's at operating temp. The timing is dead on at 12 degrees, fresh plugs, wires, cap, rotor, HEP, and coil within ~1000 miles.

Could an oxygen sensor cause the car to run rich if it was on its way out? How do I test for this? I pulled the codes this morning and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

rare_ram
04-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I would change the O2, avoid Bosch.

CletusJones
04-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I'd rather not throw parts at it. How can I test the sensor I have now to see if it's working correctly?

Lee'sdaytona
04-11-2006, 11:16 AM
See if you can PM simon, Turbovanman, if he doesn't see this post. He has a way to hook up a voltmeter to the O2 sensor and I don't know the proper range of voltage it should be, but he can tell you. BTW, your doing the right thing by not throwing parts at it, as many of us, including myself are guilty of at times:thumb:
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
04-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Ok, I just made an FAQ about it. Make sure the wire and connector has no oil on it, this will contaminate the sensor and make it read funny.

Your looking for the black sensor wire to black harness wire.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3527

CletusJones
04-12-2006, 01:12 PM
thanks a bunch!