PDA

View Full Version : Lock Cylinder Replacement

CletusJones
04-11-2006, 09:34 AM
I didn't know where to put this so I guess this is the most fitting forum...

I purchased new lock cylinders for my daytona because nothing was keyed the same and I didn't even have a key for the hatch. I've replaced the ones in the doorhandles (that was easy) but can't figure out how to go about swapping the one in the column. I'm also not sure how to get at the one for the hatch in the rear.

So, how do I replace the column lock cylinder? Does the column have to come apart?

How do I get at the one in the rear? Do I have to pull that piece with the taillights on it?

Is this stuff in the FSM? Can anyone offer any tips/tricks to make the job easier?

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2006, 01:02 PM
What year car? Does the ig lock cylinder sit inside a round tube so to speak?

CletusJones
04-11-2006, 01:51 PM
sorry, it's an 87 Daytona with tilt.

the cylinder I purchased is only that. It's tubular shaped....

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2006, 03:37 PM
You need a special tool to take the column apart. You remove the steering wheel, then you have to remove the lockplate-thats where the tool comes in to push it down then remove the clip, the plate comes up, you turn signal actutor and the 3 screws that hold down the signal switch. Go down to the base of the column and loosen and disconnect the wiring harness, now pull up the turn signal switch and you will see one screw holding the lock cylinder in place, remove it. You will also see a plastic retainer with 2 metal fingers, use some needle nose and pull sharply straight up. Remove lock cylinder and install new one, reinstall plastic retainer, and reassemble column in reverse order.
You can buy the lockplate tool at most parts stores and you'll need a steering wheel puller also.

jckrieger
04-11-2006, 03:57 PM
You can also build a tool if you have a welder, some sheet metal, and a couple old rod bearings :)

CletusJones
04-12-2006, 09:47 AM
You can also build a tool if you have a welder, some sheet metal, and a couple old rod bearings :)
I have none of that stuff, it looks like I'll be purchasing the tool. Unless you're feeling generous with your old parts and time that is.

Thanks for the steps Simon, now to find the tool. Any idea where I can get one?

BIGBRUDDA
04-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Carefull Cletus. The turnsignal switch is rather delicate,especially mounted down inside the column where its hard to move. A wrong step, and springs and slugs and rollers go flyin, ever-which-a-way. :amen: And mark the clockspring( tape the inner sleeve in posistion)for proper reinstallation.:thumb:

TurbododgePirate
04-12-2006, 12:57 PM
I have none of that stuff, it looks like I'll be purchasing the tool. Unless you're feeling generous with your old parts and time that is.

Thanks for the steps Simon, now to find the tool. Any idea where I can get one?

Cletus,

I have a clock spring compressor..... right tool for the right job always makes it go faster. I can send it to you. All I ask is shipping, and that when you are done, send it back. If you want to do that, just let me know, PM me. ~~Heath

CletusJones
04-12-2006, 01:28 PM
How does it compress the clockspring?

When I did the heater core in my Dakota I didn't pay attention to the steering wheel (I removed the column) so I had to re-center the clockspring. There wasn't anything in there tha looked like it could be compressed. Obviously they're different but I don't understand what's being compressed.

I just talked to my uncle who's a Chevy tech, he's got all the tools I'd need. We're gonna bust it out next week.

I appreciate the offer to borrow your tool very much, thank you.

turbovanmanČ
04-13-2006, 12:30 AM
There is no clockspring, you don't have an airbag.

You should replace the turn signal cancel springs, there like a couple bucks.

BIGBRUDDA
04-13-2006, 08:05 AM
NO AIRBAG!:banghead: Livin on the "EDGE" are ya Cletus:D

CletusJones
04-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Nope, no airbag. They didn't come stock in 87 and I'm perfectly okay with that. It really opens up my wheel choices. :thumb:

I don't know about living on the edge though, I do wear my seatbelt.

Simon: Wouldn't it still have a clockspring for the horn button? Where can I get the turn signal cancel springs? Dealer only or regular parts store?

turbovanmanČ
04-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Nope, no airbag. They didn't come stock in 87 and I'm perfectly okay with that. It really opens up my wheel choices. :thumb:

I don't know about living on the edge though, I do wear my seatbelt.

Simon: Wouldn't it still have a clockspring for the horn button? Where can I get the turn signal cancel springs? Dealer only or regular parts store?

Clockspring is for the airbag, you have a lockplate. The horn is grounded thru the steering column using your horn button.

GM or Chrysler will have the springs, there like $1.50 each and when they break, you get no signal cancel, :(

iTurbo
04-13-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm going through the same thing with my Shelby Lancer right now. Every lock cylinder on the car uses a different key, but I only have a key for the new ignition lock cylinder I installed a couple weeks ago. I went to the dealership and the parts manager said the best thing to do is remove all the locks and bring them to a locksmith to be matched and have new keys made.

On my Lancer, the rear hatch lock is easy to get to once you remove a plastic panel that covers the latch. The doors on the other hand look like a major PITA. If your uncle is good with GMs, he shouldn't have any problem working on the tilt column. It's the same as a lot of 80's GM columns. I've torn into 80's Impalas and Malibus and the columns were almost the same as my Lancer.

Ok, here's a question I need answered....I know there were two keys for my car originally. I plan on having the door lock cylinders matched to the ignition, but what key is supposed to work on the glove box door? Does it use the ignition key also or the hatchback key?

mcsvt
04-13-2006, 12:26 PM
For my Daytona, the ignition, doors and hatch all work off the same key. And the glove box is a seperate key.

Don't know if that applies to your Lancer...

CletusJones
04-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Ok, here's a question I need answered....I know there were two keys for my car originally. I plan on having the door lock cylinders matched to the ignition, but what key is supposed to work on the glove box door? Does it use the ignition key also or the hatchback key?
The glovebox should be the same as the trunk/hatch key. Ignition/door keys don't fit into the lock on mine. (They key for the hatch is cut differently, the grooves are in different places. It's like that on the keys I found from my dad's 600 that we got rid of years ago. The keys I got with the locks I bought are mopar keys as well.)

I got my locks (all 4) from this guy, we handled the transaction outside ebay and it ended up costing me just under $60 shipped for all 4 new lock cylinders. I'll eventually have the glovebox re-keyed but it's not a priority.

http://stores.ebay.com/KeyBits-Lock-and-Key-Blanks

CletusJones
04-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Clockspring is for the airbag, you have a lockplate. The horn is grounded thru the steering column using your horn button.

GM or Chrysler will have the springs, there like $1.50 each and when they break, you get no signal cancel, :(
Gotcha.

I'll swing through the dealer and pick some up, thanks again.

CletusJones
04-19-2006, 08:30 AM
So I went to the dealer yesterday and they told me there are no springs. The only thing they had related to turn signal cancelling was a "cancelling cam" that looks like a round disc in the diagram they gave me. Is this what I need? It was like $15 - $20.

They asked me if it was a tilt column, is there much difference between tilt and non-tilt?

turbovanmanČ
04-20-2006, 01:39 AM
So I went to the dealer yesterday and they told me there are no springs. The only thing they had related to turn signal cancelling was a "cancelling cam" that looks like a round disc in the diagram they gave me. Is this what I need? It was like $15 - $20.

They asked me if it was a tilt column, is there much difference between tilt and non-tilt?

What a bunch of f*cking idiots. Yes, theres a cam, this hits the springs and moves the switch. Find a dealer with an older gentlemen as kids won't know this or go to GM. Heck, I'll look up the GM number tomorrow at work, I have it in my work computer, :thumb:

CletusJones
04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
That's what I figured. The guy behind the parts counter was an older guy already, but he looked like he had a really good time in the 70's.

I'll try another dealer today and see what they've got. If you can post those part numbers once you find them I'd be very grateful.

turbovanmanČ
04-20-2006, 12:19 PM
GM #'s left=1964784 right=1964785

CletusJones
04-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks Simon

Lee'sdaytona
06-19-2006, 10:34 PM
for the questions about the keys, you can see that round key in my avatar, thats for the glovebox. the black key is for the doors, hatch, and ignition. I was wondering how to get that lockplate off my column! I'll have to look for that tool!
thanks,
Lee