PDA

View Full Version : sagging door fix

t3rse
02-24-2009, 03:05 PM
So how does one fix a sagging door on an omni? ...preferably without using an acetylene torch....

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~dberry/2.4swap/primer%20005.jpg

SpiritedShelbys
02-24-2009, 03:51 PM
try flipping the hinge pins? Or get new ones..

1966 dart wagon
02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Yep^^^ replace hinge pins and bushings, your local parts store should have them on hand.

Or if its really bad my daytona's hinge was broken off from the door causing it to sag horribly, but its fixed now

GLHS60
02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
As I mentioned on the other thread you want to practice on a junker car to get a feel for the process. It's probably best to start with something like a Daytona with long heavy doors that tend to sag at the latch/handle end. Something where the door drops a lot when you open it and has to be lifted up to close if you get my drift. They respond really noticeably so you can get a feel for the process. There are hinge adjustment tools available from body shop suppliers etc. but I usually use a ball peen hammer. If the door is sagging like I described, open it up and stick the steel end of the hammer in the lower hinge. Then apply closing pressure on the door with the hammer stuck in the hinge and the harder you push the door the more it adjusts the door up at the latch end. You want to get the door up so the body lines match then you might have to adjust the striker to match the latch. If for some reason the door is high on the latch end you place the hammer in the upper hinge and this will lower the latch end. You will have to push the door fairly hard to adjust it and I usually bounce against the door near the latch with my --- to get the desired result. Give it a try on a junker and let me know how you make out.

Thanks
Randy

"Top Fuel" Bender
03-01-2009, 09:09 PM
As I mentioned on the other thread you want to practice on a junker car to get a feel for the process. It's probably best to start with something like a Daytona with long heavy doors that tend to sag at the latch/handle end. Something where the door drops a lot when you open it and has to be lifted up to close if you get my drift. They respond really noticeably so you can get a feel for the process. There are hinge adjustment tools available from body shop suppliers etc. but I usually use a ball peen hammer. If the door is sagging like I described, open it up and stick the steel end of the hammer in the lower hinge. Then apply closing pressure on the door with the hammer stuck in the hinge and the harder you push the door the more it adjusts the door up at the latch end. You want to get the door up so the body lines match then you might have to adjust the striker to match the latch. If for some reason the door is high on the latch end you place the hammer in the upper hinge and this will lower the latch end. You will have to push the door fairly hard to adjust it and I usually bounce against the door near the latch with my --- to get the desired result. Give it a try on a junker and let me know how you make out.

Thanks
Randy

Pretty much the as I said in the other post also
push, pull ,torch
L-bodies don't have bushings, bolts, adjusters ect...
3 chunks of metal (for each hinge) with a hole thru it and a drift pin that;s it nothing fancy
good luck

kleiner
04-12-2009, 01:29 PM
I have the same problem with an 86 omni, when lifting the door up and down there is a little play. I thought this would be the drift pin, so If I replace the drift pin will this fix the problem?
Or do I need to push, pull torch. (I feel the door will close better, but will still have some slop.
Thanks in advance