PDA

View Full Version : No balance shafts and solid poly mounts=dash rattle. Need new mounts for Spirit.

dds78910
02-24-2009, 02:09 AM
I got the R/T back together the other day and when the motor was out I removed the chain for the balance shafts. When I got the car it had solid poly mounts all around, I never minded it before but now the dash rattles at idle and cruising speeds. For 1, I dont know where to get a master link to put the chain back on and 2, I dont want to pull the pan off again. So I figure my best bet would be to intall stock style mounts back in the car. Where is a good place to get them? And in the future, if I change my mind is the a way I can get a link to put the chain back in?

135sohc
02-24-2009, 02:23 AM
Dealer, If they still have any leftover ? otherwise I'd go to the junkyard and find some from a donor in good condition. The anchor brand mounts from the parts stores are garbage. never had much luck with them

turbovanmanČ
02-24-2009, 04:32 AM
Dealer for mounts or aftermarket but Napa aren't much better. I'll list up what I've used in the past after I look at an invoice tomorrow, they don't vibrate and trust me, I've tried them all.

If you are running a solid bobble strut, take that out first and see what happens.

You can't get a link for the chain but you might be able to if you get ahold of a manufacterer and match it up?

Dealer still might sell the chain but you have to drop the pan and remove the front crank retainer.

I have said this happens but everyone says nah, its liveable, :o

Turbo3Iroc
02-24-2009, 04:35 AM
I'd put a stock style bobble strut in first and if the dash still rattles then you can put in a stock style mount on the pass side. Johnny also has a way to mod the pass mount on his site by drilling holes in the lower corners but then you can't put it back.

Turbo3Iroc
02-24-2009, 04:40 AM
I have the same setup in my Daytona only that it is balanced and the vibration is very minimal. Only at idle, not at cruise. I wouldn't tolerate much more rattle than what it is either.

jamesmonty
02-24-2009, 08:19 AM
I had the same thing happen with a shadow I had. I had to take the change out of the ash tray it rattled so bad. I think some of the vendors sell stock mounts.

bansheenut420
02-24-2009, 01:15 PM
No vibration at all in my RT with solid mounts and no b.s. Bobble strut making the engine sit funny?

turbovanmanČ
02-24-2009, 01:53 PM
I'd put a stock style bobble strut in first and if the dash still rattles then you can put in a stock style mount on the pass side. Johnny also has a way to mod the pass mount on his site by drilling holes in the lower corners but then you can't put it back.

I found the front mount makes more of a difference than the side mount. I put another vendors front mount in my friends base auto minivan with no bs's, shook the dash out and the vibration, so I put a stocker back in, fine.

dds78910
02-25-2009, 01:20 AM
The bobble strut is the only thing that hasnt been changed, so it is stock. My dad removed the chain in his R/T and it seems fine, so it must be poly mounts in my car.

turbovanmanČ
02-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Change the front one and see what happens.

moparfwdsleeper
03-01-2009, 03:23 PM
;)I'll take your PB mounts:p

Will send you my non-PB, probably stock ones:thumb:

dds78910
03-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Sorry, I can still use them on my 16v hybrid spirit I'm building as my race car.

glhs0426
03-01-2009, 11:37 PM
After the poly front mount was installed the vibration was pretty bad on my R/T, so, I installed what I call a "hydro" mount on the right side. It came off a 3.3L Dynasty. The mount has no voids and something along the lines of glycerin inside. The addition of this mount and centering the powertrain greatly reduced the vibration at idle. Now I have a vibration @ 50mph in 5th, but after 48,000 miles of DD it's not so bad.

John

dds78910
03-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Where do you get one of those mounts at? I saw polybushings sells a mount that is a stock mount and the voids are filled with polly.