PDA

View Full Version : Need to rebuild auto trans for 92 Cummins

Johnny
02-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Any input for when I can find someone that has a rebuilt tranny for my 1992 Dodge with the diesel? Or for them to rebuild mine?

I have asked a few places and seems price is $1500 and others at $2500, just for the rebuild. Thats me taking it out and installing it.

Johnny

Vigo
02-24-2009, 11:55 PM
$1500 would be on the cheap side for someone to do the whole job where im at. maybe possible to get it for $1300 if you do the r&r.

2500 is too much unless you plan on getting a nice converter and upgrading internals.

The Pope
03-01-2009, 02:49 PM
after the bands, clutches and the rear bearing kit your looking at about $300 in stuff. I like to piece it out and get the 6 clutch direct pack and the 5 clutch low pack with there thinner plates. Then buy the 5.0 lever for second gear. Between those you can hold a lot more torque. Then buy a nice converter, something that will hold. Still all combined a hair under $1,000 to do. The OD inner clutch requires you take it to someone with a stand up press if you don't have one. Otherwise the only real special tool you need is a 1/8" drive inch pound torque wrench. The book costs $20 that has the band specs. By far the hard part is removing and installing it, but the rebuild is cake.

Also what is wrong with it? Does it slip and not move? Or is it having OD shifting problems? The Dodge OD trans should be power flushed ever 2 years at the dealer to shift smooth. Then the OD servo goes out on them a lot. Both should be done before a rebuild if the thing has issues. Clearly if you blew out a gear completely that's another story lol.

Rob Walsh

Johnny
03-01-2009, 04:50 PM
OD indent ball dropped out. The OD is not functioning. The rest is fine. Had a local tranny guy look at it. We took the pan off and there was that indent ball, and lots of metal. So added a new filter, fluid and he said he wouldn't even want to rebuild this one, I should do an exchange.

Johnny

The Pope
03-09-2009, 09:19 PM
OD indent ball dropped out. The OD is not functioning. The rest is fine. Had a local tranny guy look at it. We took the pan off and there was that indent ball, and lots of metal. So added a new filter, fluid and he said he wouldn't even want to rebuild this one, I should do an exchange.

Johnny

An indent ball?:confused: There are OD bearings that give out and the OD clutches can go as well. There is a large main bearing in the back by the govener that can pitch a ball. Not sure what that is, maybe I don't understand the name correctly. Sounds like to took out the OD bearings if you see metal. My truck at 130K had metal shavings and no OD and I changed a $40 servo and was on the road. If you rebuild it you will need a new servo anyway. I would at least try it.

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I have asked a few places and seems price is $1500 and others at $2500, just for the rebuild. Thats me taking it out and installing it.

Johnny

Thats about right. Getting them done right costs money, I know we are all cheap but if anyone could rebuild tranny's, then they wouldn't be so expensive.

I recommend Mister Transmission if you have them, the local shop does all my customer trans, except A413's, :lol:

Vigo
03-12-2009, 12:52 PM
you should do 4l60s, they are easy and half the market!

The diesel upgrade parts are pretty dang expensive if you want one 'built up'. The converter and the overdrive section are $$$$ for good ones. Last i heard you could get an aftermarket setup of like 23 clutches and plates into the overdrive section and im sure some people are still burning those up.

Johnny
03-12-2009, 02:24 PM
you should do 4l60s,
I am not sure what you mean by this.

Johnny

turbovanmanČ
03-12-2009, 03:25 PM
I am not sure what you mean by this.

Johnny

He's talking to me, thats GM's RWD 4 speed auto. I do my own of those too, :thumb:

I used to be a backup tranny rebuilder at GM years ago, :thumb:

Another fave was 4L80E's, :amen:

trannybuster
04-14-2009, 12:57 PM
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

have a look around!!

Johnny
04-26-2009, 02:47 AM
What's the auto tranny called in this 1992 3/4 ton Dodge with the cummins?
OR is there different ones?

neongary
04-29-2009, 11:21 AM
What's the auto tranny called in this 1992 3/4 ton Dodge with the cummins?
OR is there different ones?

Probably the 47RH or 47RE

Johnny
01-28-2010, 01:31 PM
I finally pulled the tranny out of my truck. Took the transfer case down first of course. Was a lot of work but not as bad as I expected. One of the lines wouldn't come loose so I soaked it with PB Blaster a couple hours and finally would unscrew. My first time doing something like this. Took me 5 hours! I am sure it will take a lot longer putting one back in.

turbovanmanČ
01-28-2010, 02:30 PM
So are you rebuilding it yourself or taking it to someone?

Johnny
01-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I bought one, putting it in later today.

Vigo
01-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Well, it sucks to do on the ground. If you got a lift and a nice tranny jack and you do it for a living, you can get it down WAY below an hour both ways. :) I actually ended up liking tranny r&r more than just general repair work by far!

But if you only do it every once in a while and not on a lift, it will never be 'easy'.

glad to hear its going back together. :)

Johnny
01-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Well, I do have a lift and tranny jack.
I did install the tranny and torque converter in 2 hours tonight.
still need to add the transfer case, both drive lines, etc.

Johnny
01-31-2010, 02:59 AM
Yesterday I installed the transfer case and new poly transfer case mounts. Today I did everything else...deep fined aluminum trans oil pan, linkage, drivelines, fluid fills, oil change, etc. Done! Took it for a test drive....PERFECT!
Good to have my truck back the way it should be.

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2010, 05:28 AM
Who did the trans?

Was it upgraded or just stock?

Subliminal
02-01-2010, 09:24 AM
They say the stock torque converter is good for stealing about 40% of your HP.

Did you go aftermarket, or just stick with stock?

Johnny
02-02-2010, 02:06 PM
I used stock, could not afford more. The first lasted 197k miles, this will do fine for now.
I do not use the truck hard anyway.