PDA

View Full Version : Pantone (PMS) color # for 87 CSX decals?

4 l-bodies
02-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know the actual Pantone (PMS) color for the bright blue 87 CSX decals? Looks like Grabber blue Ford color.
Is it 2935 or 2925 or perhaps 300? Trying to replicate the color not the decals.
Todd

LaserXT1986
02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Does anyone know the actual Pantone (PMS) color for the bright blue 87 CSX decals? Looks like Grabber blue Ford color.
Is it 2935 or 2925 or perhaps 300? Trying to replicate the color not the decals.
Todd

I will check tonight as I am probably one of the few people on the board who has a PMS book and is thoroughly familiar with the Pantone system :D

Do you want me to match it in C or U?

4 l-bodies
02-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I will check tonight as I am probably one of the few people on the board who has a PMS book and is thoroughly familiar with the Pantone system :D

Do you want me to match it in C or U?

David that is a good question. I would probably say coated. I am looking to replicate that color in some vinyl and powdercoating. On my monitor, the 2925 (Olympic blue) seems a little light. 2935 seems a bit off too. Seems like 300 (Salttire blue) is closer. But obviously this is just an approximation of those colors while viewing on a monitor. Anyway, thanks in advance for checking this out for me.
Todd

"Top Fuel" Bender
02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
David that is a good question. I would probably say coated. I am looking to replicate that color in some vinyl and powdercoating. On my monitor, the 2925 (Olympic blue) seems a little light. 2935 seems a bit off too. Seems like 300 (Salttire blue) is closer. But obviously this is just an approximation of those colors while viewing on a monitor. Anyway, thanks in advance for checking this out for me.
Todd

Don't worry
You got Mr. Perfection on the job

LaserXT1986
02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Todd

Todd,

Are you trying to print the vinyl? If so, which format (thermal or ink)?

Or are you trying to match it to a "colored" vinyl? If it's this, I can check my vinyl color charts and see which brand has a close match (versus giving you a PMS color and you having to hunt down vinyl charts).

Let me know ;)

4 l-bodies
02-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Todd,

Are you trying to print the vinyl? If so, which format (thermal or ink)?

Or are you trying to match it to a "colored" vinyl? If it's this, I can check my vinyl color charts and see which brand has a close match (versus giving you a PMS color and you having to hunt down vinyl charts).

Let me know ;)

David,
Whatever the CSX decals were. Trying to get as exact match to the CSX decals as I can. Going to be doing some vinyl work, paint, and powdercoating of parts. Not trying to make a big deal of this, just trying to get it right the first time. Mixing paint can be expensive if you start making mistakes. Same goes for powdercoating and making multiple sets of decals too.
Todd

LaserXT1986
03-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Todd,

I apologize for not getting back to you, was sick and then got hit with a good sized snowstorm yesterday. I PROMISE you I will have an answer for you tonight. Sorry for the delay :(

LaserXT1986
03-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Todd,

Going by a factory original NOS piece of blue stripe (the kind used around the whole car, about 1/2" wide), I compared it to a number of PMS "C" colors in my book.

After careful evaluation, the closest color I can compare it to is PMS 7461c.

This is not an exact duplicate, but it's pretty close. I can actually take a picture of the stripe against various pages of the PMS swatches if you want to see for yourself. The PMS 300 is way too dark, PMS 2935 is too dark and PMS 2925 is too light.

As you may (or may not) know, the Pantone Matching System is used for inks, and trying to match it in any other format is very, very difficult. I go through it daily with clients asking me to match projects that need painting with PMS numbers and they just don't understand that certain pigments cannot match the intensity of PMS colors. Likewise, trying to match a glossy vinyl (which has a higher gloss value than coated paper stock used for "C" PMS color) is difficult as well, esp. when you factor in how vinyl is actually made to begin with.

Let me know if you want to see some comparison pictures to make your own evaluation :D

I hope this helps you out, and if you need any other help let me know, I'd be happy to offer more assistance. Take care!

4 l-bodies
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
David thanks for all your input, I appreciate it. I'll pass that info along.
Todd