PDA

View Full Version : Project Free 87 New Yorker

Vigo
02-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Well, i just dragged home yet another project. I got it in trade for some scrap car carcasses i had parted out. It has no keys and a broken out window and no background info, so no idea what im getting into.

I actually already have one of these, and im probly not going to be keeping it long, hoping to trade it to a friend when i get it going well enough..

87 log 2.2 turbo new yorker.

Here's some pics.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03648.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03649.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03650.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03651.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03682.jpg

BadAssPerformance
02-23-2009, 12:35 AM
'87 New Yorker!? Awesome! SDAC-Chicago needs another one! What kinda cheap trades you looking for!?

Ondonti
02-23-2009, 12:56 AM
87 new yorker is the only TD I have ever driven, and it broke down. stupid digital gas gauge.

GLHNSLHT2
02-23-2009, 01:03 AM
hey looks just like mine. Or what mine looked like when I bought it. Now it's rolling on Shelby Suspension and GT Lebaron wheels. Nice T2 swap and you have a low 14 second car graingered to 14psi.

Vigo
02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
It runs on starter fluid. I think it needs a fuel pump. Didnt have tools so thats as far as i've gotten so far...

rich tideswell
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
It runs on starter fluid. I think it needs a fuel pump. Didnt have tools so thats as far as i've gotten so far...

don't rule out clogged filter or line if the car has been sitting with fuel in the tank for a long time.

omni_840
02-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Nice find, a little old lady has one of those in my area. I tried to get it off her but to no avail. BTW it's MINT:)

Vigo
02-24-2009, 11:52 PM
I cant hear the pump running at all. But i do hear the stupid compressor for the air shocks running non stop. lol.

WickedShelby88
03-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Check the wiring in the back too. Those yorkers have issues with sender connections.

Vigo
03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
So today i put the fuel pump out of my 89 turbo donor van in the new yorker and got it running.

I also used the ignition lock cylinder from the van since this car didnt come with a key.

It still needs a driver window, LR tail light, FL strut, a key for the door cylinders, and a good cleaning.

But at least i drove it down the road @ 7psi for my efforts. W00t

Vigo
03-29-2009, 09:12 PM
I did some more work on the new yorker on friday. I put a drivers window in it and fixed the power windows on both front doors by scrounging used gears for the window motors. The driver side broke again after a while so i might actually have to spend $19 on a new gear kit if i cant scrounge more of those pucks/gears.

I made the key i have work in the door lock by taking out the tumblers. So now the keys out of my parts van work for both the door and ignition. The trunk lock is messed up but it has an internal pull to open it anyway.

I also put an extra wide radiator from my limo in it. Clearance near the alternator is very tight but it hasnt broken yet. The radiator that was in it was fine but i wanted it for my limo so i could move it over and run intercooler piping on the drivers side like i did with my aries (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34580&page=2), so i put the big limo one in here. I figure more cooling cant hurt an unintercooled car.

Turns out the taillights on my 85 are completely different, even down to the bolt pattern, so i need to go to a junkyard and grab a taillight still.

i replaced both locked up front struts with ones i already had that are NOT locked up. Now it rides like buttah.
I also lubed up the door lock mechanisms on the two front doors and stuck a stock resonator from my dynasty's cast-off stock exhaust in to plug up the exhaust where the cat used to be. It slowed the car back down to where it started. It HAD been noticeably quicker with open downpipe after i cut the cat out (rent money lol).

I wanna buy one of those cable-actuated 2 1/4 cutout pipes that are like $40.

Still havent put a boost controller on it. Seems like the exhaust is such a restriction itd be pointless to raise the boost before addressing that.

Big thanks to Strax22 for helping me out with it. Its a pretty decent car now. If i get that window permanently fixed and put a taillight on it, i might even get it legal and start driving it.

:)

WickedShelby88
04-01-2009, 09:01 AM
They drive great don't they! My great uncle bought one of these new and it was kept in a garage with a sealed floor its whole life. It was blue and fully loaded with the voice and all. It had already been sold off and he had passed away before I knew anything.. Shame I couldn't have more to remember him by.. Anyhow sounds like an excellent save especially down in TX! Rust free ftw.

Matt86
04-02-2009, 11:30 PM
You didn't get that hot baby blue Ford Tempo? Man...I bet that's a sweet ride :D !

Nice New Yorker...glad you saved it from the crusher...these are becoming rare cars.

Vigo
04-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Well, ive had this thing running for a while, but havent driven it much. I cut the cat and ran open downpipe up and down the street a while back, HUGE improvement. Hooked the rest of the exhaust back up with a piece of pipe.. back to crap.

However, its motivation!

So im piecing together an exhaust with bends i already have, keeping the stock 2.25 downpipe, and i scored a good (real good) deal on a stage2 cal so i should be moving along pretty well shortly.. trbowgn just ran 15.4 with more weight and a udp, so i think i should be able to about equal that if all goes well.

I also worked on the power windows a bit and got a key to work in it. Stupid driver window repair has already failed, but i will re-repair it reel guud this time :mad:

Still need to transfer the title and get it legal. Im still up about 6$ overall on this project. Yes that's right. I have sold the cat, bought a taillight, and i am still UP $6 on this free turbo car :D

trbowgn
04-14-2009, 08:31 PM
That is true TM right there still up $6 after all that work. That looks like it is going to be a fun cruiser. Your Limo sounds pretty sweet too, Have you ever weighed the limo?

Vigo
04-14-2009, 10:13 PM
not yet! i probably wont weigh it until it hits the dragstrip, and if that happens like.. this year, id be a little surprised. However, ill gladly offer wild speculation... just under 3400 lbs. :) a new yorker weighs under 3000 and the limo is basically a new yorker with an extra foot in the middle. I seriously doubt its over 3400. My short caravan with no back seats weighed 3040.

trbowgn
04-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Ok so you should be able to have a limo in the 14's with a mild turbo II build. That is cool,
What are your goals with the limo?

Vigo
04-15-2009, 08:48 AM
mostly for it to be presentable and clean. My friend and I are going to build a custom console in the back and use a modded xbox as a game/media player with a flip down screen, but other than that i just want it to be 'nice' which means the whole car needs to be redone, lol. Tons of work.

For power.. right now im just gonna use stuff i have laying around, which i guess = mild t2. 2.5 w/mitsu and 1pc on stock injectors with a probe intercooler, auto tranny, and probly ~14psi. I dont expect it to run 14s like that but im optimistic that it will surprise me :) I never knew a stock motor w/mitsu could feel so fast until i put togeter my aries..

This new yorker, on other hand.. I just want it to run 15s. I actually plan on selling it to make some money, but the exhaust and cal i will keep and stick on my other new yorker when i sell this one. For now i just want to enjoy it some before i flip it. IF someone from the forum wanted to get it from me, itd probly be under $500 :)

raccoon
04-15-2009, 09:48 AM
so have you checked if this is a talking new yorker?

Vigo
04-15-2009, 10:29 AM
oh yes, it is! I NEVER FORGET MY KEYS!!! lol.

raccoon
04-15-2009, 11:43 AM
if something sad happens to this thing, keep me in mind for the dash harness and talking computer thingy.

Vigo
04-15-2009, 03:55 PM
I may actually part it if there is interest.. many of the parts that are on it right now would go to good use in other cars i own...

any takers??

Vigo
05-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Well, after one of my usual brainstorming sessions where i always come to the same conclusion (i have way too many projects and need to prioritize the good and ditch the less good) i decided to help a friend out and put the new yorker on permanent loan to my friend Derrick.

Itd been sitting here not being driven or worked on, so i offered it to him so he could be inducted into my circle of turbo-mopar friends. I give him parts, help him do the work, and he pays for everything and gets it legal and shakes it down and has fun.

So far i've given him:
a t2 rad/ic combo which we already put in (still log)
a complete 1pc intake with sensors, harness, tb, injectors, fuel rail, etc.
some t2 injectors (if they are bigger than whats in the 1pc already...)
a staqe 2 chip we need to install.
a reman a/c compressor

Stuff i INTEND to give him when i find it among all my piles of stuff...
An old turbo mx6 BOV
some pieces of hose and clamps to piece together IC plumbing
some set of 15x6 factory wheels. he hasnt decided which set yet.

Also planning on cutting the front springs and maybe putting some better springs in the back to bring the stance back to 'acceptable for a stock car', which will be a major improvement over where it is now.

Might also give him some minivan front brakes if he wants em..

So i guess this thing will not be taken apart and will instead become pretty cool.

IIRC, GLHNSLHT2 took a car EXACTLY like this and threw on stock t2 conversion stuff and ran 14.2. Seems like others have done the same with similar setups/weight on auto. There's potential here :)

And then if it turns out so cool that i get jealous ill just have to pull my 85 turbo new yorker out of the back yard and do it all over again:thumb:

WickedShelby88
05-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Cool to hear. That thing is wayyyyy too nice to part. Wouldn't mind having one of those for a DD.

Vigo
05-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Derrick (new owner) came over and worked on the New Yorker while Mason and I were working on the Aries.

I instructed him on a permanent solution to replace the stupid plastic pucks in the window motor drive setup with pucks made out of a bolt shank. Those suckers wont crumble like stupid stock stuff:eyebrows:

Also pressurized the a/c system with compressed air to check for leaks and found a few. Waiting to replace some gaskets before we charge it up. Until then he's got 2-60 air conditioning, which is better than 1 (windows@60mph).

Then i gave him a radio out of my turbo donor van to replace the stock one that only worked on AM, and an Autometer -20/20 vac/boost gauge.

Hopefully im gonna grab some 2.5" 90* mandrel bends this next week, and we should be able to build a decent 2.5" system from the 2.25" downpipe back.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC04543.jpg

Slowly but surely :)

BadAssPerformance
05-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Sounds like a good time! :clap:

Vigo
07-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Ok so to update on this car:

We got the boost gauge in the dash flush mount, looks clean.

We cut the front springs and put some coil spreaders in the rear springs so it sits level (but still looks high to my slammed-car-loving eyes).

I gave him some crabs with 205/55r15s on them. Looks better than whitewalls and wire wheel covers.

We wired up his amp and subs with some serious welding cable, got 2 12s in a bandpass. It makes noise, but thats all i'll say for it..

The fuel pump i put in was making horrible noises so we put in 2 other pumps i had in parts cars and neither one behaved well. After the first we had taken the tank out and rinsed it out because it had an incredible amount of sediment in it. I figured it would take a long while to come back and when it did he could deal with it on his own, but even the second pump starting acting up pretty quickly and when we went back in there was another huge amount of sediment so i gave him the complete tank out of my aries and now its fine.

Then it started hitting overboost at 8+psi so i lent him a map sensor off my minivan.

Then we cut the exhaust off behind the downpipe to motivate ourselves to put together the exhaust stuff he has.

Then when it still sucked we checked the ignition timing and adjusted it from 0 to 12 btdc, which helped a bit (DRRR).

So it's slowly coming together. I still have a chip to put in it but want to get the exhaust finished first, and it needs general tune-up stuff too.

I have some more pics but i left my camera in Ohio and need to get it sent back to me before i can post them (oops).

:)

ShadowFromHell
07-06-2009, 08:02 PM
any pics of the dash mounted boost gauge? I cant decide where to put mine in my NY...

TopDollar69
07-06-2009, 09:19 PM
I can't wait to see some pics. I was thinking of putting crabs on my 85 New Yorker so this should help me decide. You might want to try replacing the cam, I bet the stock slider cam is all worn down with hardly any lift.

Vigo
07-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, i do have some extra tbi roller setups, and that wouldnt be too hard.

The engine needs to come out sometime soon anyway because of a bad rear main leak.

We were planning on swapping a 1-pc intake on at the same time and converting to blow-through.

If you remember, its already got a t2 rad/ic in it that i gave him.

So maybe then it wont leak, will be t2 converted, and have a nice tbi roller cam in it. :)

I will post pics as soon as my camera gets back from Ohio. : /

Vigo
07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Still aint got my camera back, but it's in the mail.

This thing has been giving us fits.

One good thing, the exhaust is 85% complete. $50 or so in the parts store got us a 28" 2.5" glasspack off the downpipe to 2 2.5" crush bent 90s and a few clamps, and then the over-axle pipe off my parts dakota (also 2.5"), with one bend cut off and rotated, and now it just needs that second muffler to be 100%. I intend to repeat this scheme on other cars cuz it was SUUUPER easy and cheap.

But then it picked up a bad knock, but when i pulled the #4 plug wire it went away. So we went ahead and put some rod bearings in it, which went fine, but didnt fix the knock. It got worse. The bearing on #4 was definitely the worst of the bunch, but also wasn't the culprit.

Ran out of time and went to drive it back to Derrick's house and on the way tossed the serpentine belt (which it had coming cuz it only had 2 ribs left iirc) and then lost all power and compression on two cylinders.

Looked under the valve cover and didnt find valvetrain issues, so next step is to take the head off.

Im GUESSING it has a failed wristpin and a blown HG, but honestly at this point i wouldnt be surprised if it was worse, considering how this car's been going lately...

But either way, next few weeks it'll be t2 status and running right, cuz nothing stops this train... lol.

Vigo
08-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Ok got the camera but havent been using it.. silly me.

Pulled the head off, and ....

a HUGE (ok 3/8 inch wide) chunk was GONE between 3 and 4. Not just blown but GONE, fire rings and all.. and come to think of it i think i remember the noise it must have made when it went through the turbine. :(

The head is ruined in that area.. i guess 0 psi is still enough compression to have combustion melt part of the head...?

Also, 2 headbolts broke off in the block, but due to my mad skillz i got em out anyway.

So basically complete success!

Success because i already have a good 782 i just took off my tbi van with roller tbi cam (stock was slider.. ew) so the head part is already covered.

Also success because we didnt have to spend money on the block getting bolts removed or decking a damaged block surface.

I still think i want to pull the #4 piston and check the wristpin.. because i still havent found anything to explain the loud knock on #4.. but i have extra piston/rods of this vintage waiting to be thrown in if its found to be bad.

So its getting a mopar HG and the 1pc intake and converting the turbo to t2 style, and then we'll finally be able to hook up to that factory t2 intercooler thats been sitting unused in there for months.

Derrick wants to clean the motor up like the aries' one, so it'll probly be a few weekends before its ready to reinstall.

But all in all, its going well. Progress :)

BadAssPerformance
08-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Moved to p-log :thumb:

Maybe a new thread name?

Aries_Turbo
08-12-2009, 10:43 PM
flexplate can cause some nasty knock noises.

dont forget to toss the turbo exhaust valves and all the valves springs in the TBI head.

Brian

turbokid
08-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Wow keep up the good work.
YOu are a good buddy for permanently loaning your buddy a car =)

Vigo
08-13-2009, 06:32 PM
dont forget to toss the turbo exhaust valves and all the valves springs in the TBI head.

ill mention that to him and see if he feels like doing the work.. i sure dont! lol

We'll probly work on it again this weekend, and maybe ill remember to take a pic of that boost gauge and post it up!

Aries_Turbo
08-13-2009, 06:38 PM
if he doesnt, the exhaust valves will burn out in a short amount of time and youll be taking the head off again.

Brian

Vigo
08-13-2009, 06:51 PM
well, itll be a good excuse to get rid of one of the sets of new valve seals i have kicking around that never get used.. for the most part im more likely to swap a whole head than do anything to fix one. He'll probly be up for swapping the valves.

TopDollar69
08-13-2009, 07:41 PM
I would check the exhaust valves in that TBI head to see if they are inconel or not. A lot of the later TBI heads had the turbo spec valves. Just check them with a magnet.

Vigo
08-13-2009, 10:56 PM
How can i tell with a magnet? will they not stick if they are inconel?

Right now all i know is the turbo head ex valves say T and the tbi ones say nothing.

TopDollar69
08-14-2009, 06:17 AM
Yes, the turbo exhaust valves will be non magnetic. Some have a T, some don't.

Vigo
08-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Easy enough! thanks!

Vigo
08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Forgot to post back:

Oddly enough, of ALL the heads i have sitting around, NONE of the exhaust valves are magnetic down in the chamber, and ALL of them are magnetic up at the stem..... WTF?!

Also, managed to pick up some more of the odds and ends for the t2 conversion..

Like a t2 compressor cover and gasket, a 1pc fuel rail, and a sweet chrome fart cannon with a 5" tip!! YEEHA!!!

GLHNSLHT2
08-26-2009, 11:57 AM
My Manley valves are that way, Does that mean they're 2 pieces?

Vigo
09-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Ok, so we're finally getting the motor put back together and ready to go back in. Almost there...

Here's some pictures of the boost gauge for anyone who still cares..:o
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05237.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05238.jpg

And now motor stuff..
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05234.jpg
Messy!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05235.jpg
Multi-tasking!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05236.jpg
Go to clean up a dirty one-piece, and what do we find inside?? CAT FOOD! LOL! Country-livin!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05239.jpg
Had to modify the t1 garret turbine housing to clear the new intake.. Normally i would do this with a bench grinder but mine is too puny and it was the weekend.. So i used a sawzall and a cutoff wheel.:thumb:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05240.jpg
I made two cuts straight down with the sawzall for the sides. Then i went through the middle with the cutoff wheel from the front and the back side until i got a hole big enough for the sawzall blade to go through. Then i cut out in both directions until i met the side cuts. Vigo engineering!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05245.jpg
Swapped on a t2-style compressor cover. The log big can wastegate goes right back on! :)
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05248.jpg
If we didnt have a t2 cover, here's what you can do.. I found some stuff in an old pile and decided to take pics for the Intarn3t peeplz. Thats a log-style compressor cover with the bottom of a log throttle body.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05249.jpg
One hole lines up, other two need to be drilled. Seems like a lot of people dont know this so i decided id post it up. This way both parts are already on the car you're converting.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05250.jpg
You have to do a tiny bit of massaging on the big can wastegate actuator to get it to clear the 1pc intake. I did it with a bench grinder, its easy stuff.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05251.jpg
Almost there!

Derrick wants to drag the car to the car wash and spray out the engine bay like we did on my van... And we still need a timing belt, install the rear main, and other little odds and ends. But its getting close!

Vigo
09-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Ok, we got all the above.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05275.jpg
Here we are about to tow it to the carwash and rinse all the engine bay crud down someone else's drain for $4.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05276.jpg
Engine went in SOOO smoothly. I almost forgot how easy auto's are. The last 3 times i put a motor in seperately from the tranny it was on manuals..a little tougher..
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC05279.jpg
Now it's got a motor! Still need to finish it up.

Ahh the smell of progress :thumb:

Vigo
10-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Well we started the motor for the first time last Saturday. Revved it up and the knocking sound is GONE, which semi-confirms my crazy theory about the firing order and the relative position of pistons 3 and 4 when 3 fires and the way the headgasket blew....ANYWAY.

Its still not tidied up and driveable.

This weekend we'll be hooking up the cooling system, setting the timing, hooking up the exhaust, maybe welding a muffler on, putting a j-pipe on it for now and installing a tranny cooler.

We're getting a stock lower i/c hose from Cindy first week of Nov.. building an upper out of scraps and probly putting in a stock mx-6 bov for $0.

Not many pics this time.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC06116Medium.jpg
I was working on the spirit at the same time. It should start soon. I also picked up a drop-in rad/ic combo for that thing for $35 that day!

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC06117Medium.jpg
This car needs MORE CHROME so we picked up this muffler out of a junk pile for $0. Heheh

GLHNSLHT2
10-23-2009, 12:10 AM
how straight through is the muffler? Any pics? is it 3" all the way through? I like it :)

Vigo
10-23-2009, 02:27 AM
Its completely straight through, perforated core 2.5" i.d. It did have a silencer thing which dropped it down to like 1.5" (wtf) but i tore that ---- out. So its the same size as the rest of the system and i think it will make the car even quieter than it already is while making people wonder wtf is up with this 'turbo' badged pimp-mobile :p

Vigo
10-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, we got the car running and straightened out several minor issues and Derrick has been driving it, set at 9psi non intercooled until we build some hoses to hook up the t2 ic.

But he called me yesterday and said it started making a knocking noise again.. so i guess we'll see what it is THIS TIME. sigh.

Vigo
11-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Picked up a lower t2 i/c hose so should be able to get the intercooler hooked up soon. Still havent taken a look at the noise. Derrick works 60hrs/wk and i live 60 miles away so its tough to coordinate sometimes.

Vigo
11-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Ok, i got the noise down to really bad lifter or lifters on cyl 4. Got some extras so we'll swap junk for now to get it quiet and then do PT lifters after finishing up the rest of the little stuff that's still on the list.

List include: putting i/c hoses on finally! this weekend!

Putting t2 32 lb injectors in. I told him stick to the 27s until we got the car going well but now it seems pointless, shoulda put 32s in from the beginning. I got 8 in my toolbox.

Put that muffler on. Will probably be doing some cutting under the car to get it to fit up there snug. Had to do the same thing to my dynasty. Then we need to weld up the whole system and ditch the nasty clamps and put the factory hangers back on.

Replace drivers side axle. Making a bunch of noise. Already got one in a parts car.

So it oughta be doing 13-14 psi in t2 mode by this weekend and maybe even open the valves all the way too! (seem backwards? :p )

thedon809
11-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Yes, the turbo exhaust valves will be non magnetic. Some have a T, some don't.That's odd. My turbo exhaust valves are magnetic but not a lot. The magnet attracts but its really weak compared to the intake valve. The new yorker is coming along good too.

turbokid
11-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Wow awesome work on a budget.
You made it look pretty decent. That what I wanna do to my lebaron forsure!
Q

Vigo
11-13-2009, 09:02 PM
http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/?action=view&current=MOV06478.flv

I just looked at this thread from the beginning and i wanted to re-cap basically whats been done to the car:

Replace fuel pump with used one (x3 or x4 times, all 0$)
Replace fuel tank
Replace drivers window
Replace ignition lock cylinder
Modify door lock cylinder
Replace window motor gears/pucks on both front windows (x2, still 0$) and lube stuff
Install autometer 20/20 boost gauge in dash
Replace radio
Replace radiator (x3 at this point) culminating in installing t2 rad/ic combo (0$)
Replace radiator fan (more blades! huzzah)
Install power/ground (big welding cable!) for amp, 2 12" subs
Replace front struts
Cut front springs
Install coil spreaders in rear springs
Install transmission cooler
Install Grainger valve MBC
Replace Map sensor
"Fix" vacuum system
Disable Air shock compressor
------------Everything to this point was juggling parts i already had and didnt cost anything!

Replace tail light ($15)
Install crush bent 2.5" exhaust with 28" glasspack from stock 2.25" downpipe back (~$50)
Install 15x6 shadow crab wheels with 205/55r15 (i paid $100 for the whole set)
Replace rod bearings ($25)
Remove motor and clean everything, paint some things, spend some money:
-Mopar performance headgasket (~$25)
-Oil pan gasket (~$15)
-Rear main seal ($15)
Install 1 pc intake, fuel rail, tb, etc (0$)
Modify turbine housing for intake manifold clearance
Swap to t2 style compressor cover ($30)
Spray out engine bay at car wash while engine was out ($7+gas money for towing)

This weekend we will install a stock t2 lower intercooler hose ($30) and make an upper out of an old ford truck intake pipe ($0) and throw in some stock t2 injectors (0$) which are 32lb vs stock 27lb, so hopefully the car will be intercooled and set to 13-14 psi by tomorrow night.

Still gotta get that sweet muffler on there and weld up the exhaust hangers.

Up to this point i think less than $500 has been spent on the car, and its running and driving. Derrick got the car's first speeding ticket this week..

Anyone know how to get the digital dash to read past 85mph? I remember some talk about a switch on the back, but not sure....

thedon809
11-13-2009, 09:13 PM
If we didnt have a t2 cover, here's what you can do.. I found some stuff in an old pile and decided to take pics for the Intarn3t peeplz. Thats a log-style compressor cover with the bottom of a log throttle body.

One hole lines up, other two need to be drilled. Seems like a lot of people dont know this so i decided id post it up. This way both parts are already on the car you're converting.
I did this today and it worked out great. I had to knock out the 2 ribs with vice grips and a vice in order to get the 1 bolt to sit flush.

Vigo
11-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Cool! Yeah it's thin aluminum so you can just crack those ribs right off with a little bit of force..

Let me know what kinda intake hose you hook up to it, pics if possible..

thedon809
11-16-2009, 05:48 PM
I could make it look a little nicer but I'm lazy. I don't know what to do for an airfilter yet. Might just rig a screen on there for now.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj197/thedon809/image001-1.jpg

Vigo
11-22-2009, 12:51 AM
News Flash!

New Yorker has sad-face crankshaft journal.. After some scrounging and brainstorming it was determined that Free New Yorker will get the 2.5L common block out of my spirit while spirit now gets 2.2/520 combo sourced elsewhere!

Going 2.5L for mad torkz yo!

Turbulence
11-22-2009, 01:05 AM
awwwsum!! torkz rooools!!! :thumb::thumb:

sometimes:nod:

Martin
89 hor-izon turbo 2.5 tbi blocked nonsense

TopDollar69
11-23-2009, 12:16 AM
The 2.5L should be a better engine for a heavy automatic New Yorker. I would guess it will make the car seem much quicker off the line.

GLHNSLHT2
11-23-2009, 01:01 PM
the 87 Yorker isn't that heavy. Mine weighs just over 2800lbs. My tona is 200lbs heavier and my buddies 91 shadow vert is 250lbs heavier. I was really suprised at how light it was with all the nice sound insulation in it. It's at my cut off weight for the decision to go 2.5 or 2.2. I had a race prepped 2.2 C commonblock sitting in my shop so I went with a 2.2 in mine. A 2.5 would be nice though sometimes. But the 2.2 is still peppy enough to move it away from a stop light easy enough. If it was 100lbs heavier I would of gone 2.5.

Vigo
11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Well Derrick put 2 12's in a bandpass box and a 20 lb amp in the trunk so i guess that does it!! :p

I was really suprised at how light it was with all the nice sound insulation in it.
Now take out all that nice insulation, the power windows, door locks, mirrors, extra speakers, more complicated door panels, landau roof, a/c components, dash center console thingy, extra lighting, power seats, overhead console, air suspension components, on and on and on, and oh cut about 8 inches off the whole car in the backseat area, and itd be at light as an Aries! People dont know how light k-cars are...

Your car has been the bar to hit for this car as far as going quick on mildly cranked stock parts, but i guess with 2.5 now its not as direct a comparison. Still hoping for low 14s on what we got. :)

Vigo
12-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Well, we're taking apart the spirit right now to get the 2.5 out for this car. I think Derrick really wants to go through this one and be sure its right, so it may be a while before its ready to go back into the new yorker.

Hopefully not too long, though. The rest of the car just keeps getting better.

One thing i do need to do before it goes back together, is socket the LM and buy a chip burner or get someone to burn me an 87 2.5/782 cal so it will run right.

turbokid
12-07-2009, 07:38 PM
^I was wondering when that would come up.
I thought you would go the cheap way and throw some FFV injectors in it for the time being lmao

Vigo
12-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I thought you would go the cheap way and throw some FFV injectors in it for the time being lmao

Well actually... :p I did put some 32lb injectors in to replace the 27s right before we found out it was going to have to come back apart.

But yeh i want to do it right, half so that it will be right, and half so i can learn how to do this chip burning stuff :p

Vigo
01-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Derrick took the 2.5 home to finish taking it apart. He's gonna get the crank and probably rods resized just to make sure everything's right, then put it back together, hopefully for the last time in a good while.. I just wanna see this damn thing give something back!! Gotta have some fun in it for all the dang work thats gone into it.. :p

Vigo
03-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Well, finally started this car and moved it around today with the new 2.5 motor.

Ill take some pics when we finish buttoning it up, slap a 2.5 cal in it, and go tear it up. :D

turbokid
03-28-2010, 05:28 PM
awesome keep it updated forsure!

Vigo
04-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Well the 2.5's been in for a few weeks with a few hundred miles on it. Definitely a torquer compared to the 2.2.. Still stock gear auto trans in it.

Only running wastegate boost, 5-7psi, on the stock 2.2 computer. I ordered some chips from BoostButton.com (check it out, Rob Lloyd's site:thumb:) and socketed another 87 t1 lm i had lying around.

Once the chip comes in we should be able to burn a 2.5/782/t2 inj's/LM cal for it and then we can actually turn it up a bit.. hopefully he'll be able to resist going past 12-13psi until he buys a wideband!:eyebrows:

Vigo
05-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Last week we installed a cheapy harbor freight tach in this car that came out of the Aries (which now has no tach again.. didnt seem helpful anyway :p).

Derrick wanted to put it right next to the Autometer boost gauge but the bezel colors didnt match perfectly, so we resprayed them both to match.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC01243Medium-1.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC01242Medium-1.jpg
I did some awesome masking with an exacto..

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC01250Medium-1.jpg
We tried to get the holes perfectly even but they came out only close to even.

Got it in the car and working.. T-tapped right off the tach signal coming out of the LM and even got the memory for the lighting wired up. :thumb:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC01248Medium-1.jpg
Derrick took off the blue pinstripe.. it was in pretty bad shape and was missing some sections.. looks better without it. Dont mind the stance, its parked on a funny lump. BUT, we will be putting in some ES springs/shocks/struts from a shadow i parted pretty soon here. The air-suspension rear coils are too damn soft.. so they're going in my limo:eyebrows: while this car gets something a little bit stiffer to keep it from bottoming out when we're going 70 on 35mph country roads.:o

Oh and we also added an AUX input jack to the factory-style stereo :eyebrows:. It works, but we need to put a switch in the circuit someday.

Also burned a 2.5 cal for the car but had issues with that.. we'll be back at it soon im sure.:)

ShadowFromHell
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
How well do those tachs work? Ive been tempted to buy one but they are so cheap I cant imagine they are very good quality.

Vigo
05-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I wont say they are good quality.. however, the rpms change slowly enough on a low-power 3spd auto car that the tach can keep up with this application. As for accuracy, i would call it ballpark, but i havent checked it against anything else.

1FastCSX289
05-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Hey, great tip! In all the years of working on these things I never knew this. Thanks!

Vigo
05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Somebody else told me that if you slide the orange coupler from the turbo to the throttle body or manifold over it, it brings the outside diameter up to the right size to accept the stock later style intake hose, too.. :)

Vigo
06-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I forgot to mention two things:

We put some shadow ES coils and better shocks in the back.. brought it down a little and made it a lot stiffer so it doesnt bottom out now.. but the front needs to be lowered again. Luckily i have the matching front springs from that shadow i parted out, just waiting to go on and bring it level again.

The other thing is that we blew the welds on the inta... i mean, the seals on the turbo, so now its a bit of a smoker.. like a lot. Ive got a rebuildable t2 core sitting right in front of me that Derrick needs to rebuild with a $40 ebay rebuild kit and put in there. Might be doing a dual-pivot k-frame swap at the same time since we're probably doing the turbo on the car this time.

ShadowFromHell
06-23-2010, 11:18 AM
So the shadow coils LOWERED the back? wow. I thought they might lift it. I installed some shelby z coils in my es and it was a big drop. I should dig up those springs and install them in mine, did they work well for you guys?

Vigo
06-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Well, previously what we had in there was the air suspension coil springs which are very soft because they are supposed to be supplemented by the shocks, so we had coil spacers in them to make it level.

But yeh, as long as both cars are 87-up the coils from the shadow all around will fit.. if your new yorker is an 85 or 86 the front strut spring perches are different, though, so youd have to swap entire struts.

Vigo
09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Well the new yorker started smoking a bunch out the exhaust so we decided we better take the turbo off and rebuild it.

Luckily I also had a dual-pivot k-frame to give Derrick so we decided we might as well just pull the k-frame and do the turbo from the bottom to save a bunch of work..

Derrick finally moved into a place with a garage we can lay the car up in so we actually did the work at his place for once!

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC02261Large.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC02272Large.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC02267Large.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC02270Large.jpg

So it'll go back together still with a stock t2 turbo and 2.25" SV (which makes me sad but i dont have anything better to give), an 89 dual pivot k-frame, a 2.5" downpipe instead of 2.25", an exhaust that's welded instead of clamped and has a flange near the rear axle so we can get it out easier, and has real hangers instead of electric fence wire.. hehe. We're also thinking about pulling the intake and painting it since it doesnt match the valve cover right now.. and i painted the metal pipe in his upper charge pipe. Oh, and finally fixing the wiper bushings as well.:lol:

Right now we're waiting on the rebuild kit to come in the mail.

ShadowFromHell
09-09-2010, 04:21 PM
His front plate bracket is intresting.... Has he had problems with the cops? I havent ran a front plate on my NY since I brought it home. I swear cops dont even look at it...

Vigo
09-09-2010, 10:23 PM
no problems with cops. He just zip tied it on there because we lost the bracket at some point.. and i think he found it later but just never switched back. Like you said, it doesnt matter how it looks if noone is looking :p

Vigo
10-03-2010, 07:46 PM
We're rebuilding a different garrett center section i had that was in better shape with a $40 ebay rebuild kit. We pulled the turbine housing off it on friday night. Its crazy how easy those bolts turn out after you take the torch to it!

I think the center section and turbine housing are soaking for a few days in some cleaner/rust remover stuff, and then back together!

And then HOPEFULLY, FINALLY we can figure out whats going on in the cal we burned for it to get it to stop cutting out at 4psi!!! We've had it up to ~11psi on the log 2.2 computer but it didnt feel as strong as it should and i didnt want to push it too far considering we're running a t2 2.5 now.

No new pics from the turbo teardown because my camera was dead. :(

Aries_Turbo
10-03-2010, 08:53 PM
We've had it up to ~11psi on the log 2.2 computer but it didnt feel as strong as it should and i didnt want to push it too far considering we're running a t2 2.5 now.

yeah.... dont do that. :)

it will pop. its only a matter of time.

Vigo
10-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Im sure ill be pestering you for help when we finally get it back together. We burned a cal for it but it cuts out violently at 4psi and we havent figured that out yet..

Aries_Turbo
10-04-2010, 11:53 AM
yeah shoot me a pm when you need a hand.

Vigo
02-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Well this beast is finally out of hibernation. We poured a trickle of work on it over the last 3 months, dragging a whole lot of ---.

But, we got the turbo back together, painted the intake and upper charge pipe, swapped in a 2.5" downpipe and finished the 2.5" out the back, put an 89-style dual pivot k-frame in it, replaced the driver side axle, and put some 17s on it, and now it's assembled and driveable again. Should be putting a WORKING cal on it this weekend, i hope.

and YES we will lower the front some more.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC02954Large.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC02963Large.jpg

ShadowFromHell
02-02-2011, 08:12 PM
I love this project! But I cant say I like those wheels :(. But then again alot of wheels don't look good on a NY IMO. Thats why mine is rocking steelies and Chrysler caps still, lol. You said you are going to lower it some more, has it already been lowered some? What did you use and how much did it drop? Whats the plan to drop it some more? I really want to go to some stiffer springs on mine, but want to rebuild the front end at the same time and cant afford it.

Aries_Turbo
02-02-2011, 10:24 PM
id like to see a side profile once its fully lowered.

i think it looks pretty decent with those wheels.

Brian

GLHNSLHT2
02-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Just need to raise the back some :)

j4278h
02-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Glad to see this beast keeping up the good fight. More progress has been made on this car than any other car in that 10million car deal

Vigo
02-03-2011, 12:36 PM
OH yeah, i forgot you were there when i picked this thing up! The interior cleaned up VERY well.

I cut a coil off the front springs and put coil spacers in the back to start, but it had those limp-wristed air-shock rear springs so we swapped them out for some out of a shadow ES i parted so it would stop bottoming out the rear. I think those rear springs are not cut at all. The front i will probably cut more coils, i dont think there is any demand for it being stiffer right now, or id put in some cut shelby springs.

I think the back is at about a perfect height, but the tires are too tall all around (215/50r17).. Derrick got the wheels for free i think so.. no complaining. :) He's got a pair of 215/45 for the front, that ought to help a little bit until he can get another pair for the back.

ShadowFromHell
02-03-2011, 04:57 PM
So it has shadow ES springs in the back (what did that do to the ride height? I have a set...) and cut NY coils in the front?

Vigo
02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Yeh, thats what it has. I dont remember what the shadow springs did to it. Remember, any car with the air suspension that isnt working isnt going to sit at the correct height. I never saw what the rear end is 'supposed' to look like when its stock, only what it looks like with just the coil springs (which are weaker than any non-air suspension rear springs), and then with the coil springs with spacers in them, and then with shadow springs.

The back doesnt need to be messed with anymore. The front just needs to come down more.

ShadowFromHell
02-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Mine has the air susp but the rod is MIA. So any diffrence you saw, would be the same for me. The shadow es springs I have were much softer then the 87 Z springs that took their place(in my 88 ES), but I have them and they are easy to swap. Im thinking this spring (car is put up for the winter) Im going to tear it down, instal the ES springs, some GTC front struts and a big front bar, and a 87 Z rear axle. I have all those parts, but need to save the $$$ to rebuild the front end. I also want to change the TC... and right now it runs and drives so I dont want to tear it apart and watch it snowball... lol

Vigo
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM
I dont think the ES springs made much difference from sagging stockers in ride height, but they made it a lot less likely to bottom out over dips.

GLHNSLHT2
02-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Mine has the air susp but the rod is MIA. So any diffrence you saw, would be the same for me. The shadow es springs I have were much softer then the 87 Z springs that took their place(in my 88 ES), but I have them and they are easy to swap. Im thinking this spring (car is put up for the winter) Im going to tear it down, instal the ES springs, some GTC front struts and a big front bar, and a 87 Z rear axle. I have all those parts, but need to save the $$$ to rebuild the front end. I also want to change the TC... and right now it runs and drives so I dont want to tear it apart and watch it snowball... lol

Swap out the springs and shocks and give me the compressor so mine can retain the factory setup.

Vigo
02-03-2011, 11:06 PM
On a related note, i was thinking about snagging the rest of the setup off this new yorker and putting it on my limo-thing, but having it run airbags inside the springs (as per the kit some drag racers here have tried) and keeping 'normal' shocks..

TopDollar69
02-03-2011, 11:49 PM
I think the way you described would give a better ride, and improve handling.

ShadowFromHell
02-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Swap out the springs and shocks and give me the compressor so mine can retain the factory setup.

Whats the pump worth? Id gladly sell it to you.

dwh4784
02-04-2011, 06:18 PM

Dang I can't believe you're still looking for one of those! Should just hook it up like I had mine put 55psi in them and forget about it.

Vigo
02-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Well thanks to DodgeZ we finally got a cal in the car that doesn't cut out at WOT.. It might even get better than 13mpg now that it has the right cal!

And of course because we like silly around here, we put a fart can on it. It's something i picked up out of Cindy's scrap pile a long time ago cuz i thought it was good for a laugh. It's a straight through perforated core stainless mesh kinda thing with a giant 5" tip. So now the car finally has full exhaust out the back. It smoothed out the sound and quieted it down a bit, both good cuz it was kinda loud and nasty before.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03044Large.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03047Large.jpg

GLHNSLHT2
02-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Whats the pump worth? Id gladly sell it to you.

Well in a previous thread last year you said something about the price of a manual air line kit.

Dang I can't believe you're still looking for one of those! Should just hook it up like I had mine put 55psi in them and forget about it.

I have your kit on it. I want something that Auto-adjusts so that when I put my tools in the trunk it doesn't sink or when I don't have them in rides like a 1 ton truck :)

Well thanks to DodgeZ we finally got a cal in the car that doesn't cut out at WOT.. It might even get better than 13mpg now that it has the right cal!

And of course because we like silly around here, we put a fart can on it. It's something i picked up out of Cindy's scrap pile a long time ago cuz i thought it was good for a laugh. It's a straight through perforated core stainless mesh kinda thing with a giant 5" tip. So now the car finally has full exhaust out the back. It smoothed out the sound and quieted it down a bit, both good cuz it was kinda loud and nasty before.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03044Large.jpg

Nice, looks similar to my Magnaflow but yours is more visable. Funny we saw a car here today with a Texas Plate. I turned to my g/f and said "He must of come up here to get out of the snow" :)

Vigo
02-06-2011, 02:23 AM
haha yeh the weather was hitting us hard for a few days. I hope it stays gone, personally.. cant work on t-m's when its below 20 degrees and your garage is a carport...

Aries_Turbo
02-06-2011, 05:10 PM
sissy. i changed a neon starter the other day in the snow. :)

shoveled most of it away, layed a carpet down. wasnt too bad. i was hot in my snowsuit. :)

Brian

Vigo
02-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Well, Derrick put some slightly smaller tires on the front and we cut the front springs a little. The front looks right, now. It's not slammed but the gap is fine, still looks lowered. The back end we had to bring up a little bit with a combination of some slightly taller springs and $7 worth of rubber spacers from Advanced. Now it's level.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03130Large.jpg

We were driving it around a lot yesterday.. I think the MPG is finally normal, or close to it. looks like 18avg when beating on it, and possibly around 28 on highway.

This pic is from before we raised the back to level it.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03132Large.jpg

We also had some fun fixing the overflow setup.. this rad/ic had the little spout broken out of the filler neck so it always lost a little coolant that way.. A long time ago i tossed a radiator that the filler neck had broken right off of, but i kept the neck and threw it in the trunk of this car. We finally dug it out and i melted the solder to get the nozzle out of that one, and then soldered it into this radiator. Cleaning out the overflow tank was pretty damn hilarious, but i'll wait until i get the pics to go into detail...

TopDollar69
02-21-2011, 04:54 PM
The wheels look much better in that pic.

Vigo
02-23-2011, 06:47 PM
So after we soldered on the overflow nipple, we looked into the overflow and then immediately vomited.. it was super nasty and Derrick didnt want any of that ---- getting sucked back into the system, so we had to flush it out. We left it on the car because we didnt want to mess with the battery tray or whatever it would have taken. Too lazy..

anyway it had something at the bottom that i thought was a big leaf... then i thought it was a lizard.. turns out it was a mouse. I found both halves but i threw the first half out into Strax22's yard (take that!) before i thought to take a picture.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/P1000338Medium.jpg
The back half.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/P1000341Medium.jpg
The Flushinator.

Vigo
04-02-2011, 02:17 AM
So today Derrick was over and we did a few things.

First we modded an extra valve body in hopes of getting his trans to act a little better. We havent put it in yet.

We used this:
http://mechdb.com/index.php/Chrysler_A413_transmission_valve_body_modification s

http://mechdb.com/index.php/Chrysler_A413_transmission_valve_body_modification s
Took out a check ball and drilled out two orifices in the spacer plate to 1/8", made a 1.458" rod out of a flat/phillips screwdriver bit, made the .18" spacer out of a small bolt i chopped with a pair of vise grips, and used some copper banjo fitting washers to increase the preload on the regulator spring.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03688Large.jpg

Ultimately i want to do the pressure bleed in the valve body case but we had like.. 2 drill bits (this mod was kinda spontaneous) and they weren't small enough for that.

We also wired up the auto-dimming rearview mirror and radar detector to a switched power in the overhead console. I had given Derrick an old radar detector somebody found in their shed, but we didnt have a bracket, so we made one out of a piece of sheetmetal and some tin snips and a stepper drill bit.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03689Large.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03690Large.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03695Large.jpg

The overhead console lights had stopped working a while back. As soon as we took the console down we noticed some burned up diodes on the board for the lights. Should be an easy fix.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03687Large.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC03684Large.jpg

Vigo
04-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Derrick's got an invite to race at the local Snap-On race day on the 16th. I did one in 08 iirc, it was so packed i only got one run in.

We gotta get the valve body in before then! I think he's ordering one of those nice Mopar reusable pan gaskets. We'll put a drain plug in the pan too, and mod the case for a line pressure access port.

No wideband yet but we've got NB o2 volts, knock monitoring with an old otc, a homemade AFPR and a fuel pressure gauge with a really long hose.. The temptation is there.. but it all comes down to what the trans will hold at this point.

Vigo
04-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Well Derrick's vacation got cut short by the two days we were going to use to get the car ready, so he's not racing the new yorker.. he'll take his stock cherokee instead. :p

We did put 2 or 3 hours into it tonight. We put in the modded valve body, installed a drain plug in the oil pan, and used the reusable gasket that came in.

We did NOT drill the case for a line pressure adjustment port. We did NOT adjust the band, it got late before we finished. We DID go ahead and drill the bleed hole in the regulator spring passage with a .038 bit.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?6084-Line-pressure-mod-in-valve-body-and-theory
That's smaller than the .046 that Torqueflite said got him 150 with the spring adjuster maxed out, so i left in the spring spacer washers and left the adjuster all the way out to start.

The Drive and Reverse engagement are quicker and more solid, and the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are much improved, although the 2-3 shift doesnt seem synchronized well with the different things applying. I need to look at an apply chart.

Unfortunately it did pick up a little pump whining which im not sure why it's doing.. other than just being worn out? The trans itself is not in good shape, but i figure its NOT running that much line pressure considering the small bit we used and the fully backed-off adjuster. Not sure what to think about that yet.

Vigo
04-19-2011, 02:37 AM
Well the cherokee was too fast and broke out in the 2nd round. It ran a 16.0, pretty good for dead stock! He tried to slow it down to a 16.2 dial in but its 4.0 power couldnt be contained.

RoadWarrior222
04-19-2011, 09:07 AM
With those VB mods I blocked the accumulator, kinda thought it was necessary when you have hard applies that it was NOT trying to be in two gears at once.

Vigo
04-19-2011, 12:38 PM
The only overlap problem it seems to have is that on the 2-3 shift it feels like it shifts solidly to 3rd and then something engages about a half a second later. Looking at an apply chart, the only thing that engages from 2-3 is the front clutch. Im not sure the front clutch could be causing this because when it shifts to 3rd it shifts pretty firmly so if the front clutch was taking a long time to grab and equalize the speeds, id think the first part of the shift would be sloppy.

So, im not sure about that part yet. 1-2 is fine.

RoadWarrior222
04-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Hmmmm

On the spacer plate, did you check those other holes? I think it was a factory mod on later heavier duty 2.5s and 3.0s that they were already that size, I've never needed to drill them, but if the VB came off something small, it might have had small holes there???

Vigo
04-20-2011, 12:44 AM
I drilled the holes that are shown in the link i posted.

RoadWarrior222
04-20-2011, 09:22 AM
'k, you only said you drilled 2 holes. There's 4 indicated in the pics, 2 of which often don't need drilling on some VBs because they're already that size.

Juggy
04-20-2011, 09:51 AM
nice job!!!
that car looks helluva lot better now. very clean too.

Vigo
04-20-2011, 12:36 PM
There's 4 indicated in the pics, 2 of which often don't need drilling on some VBs because they're already that size.

I think some were already bigger than the link showed so i made no changes to those. I dont remember which ones.

nice job!!!
that car looks helluva lot better now. very clean too.

Yeh, it just needs to run as good as it looks. We're gonna start building the replacement trans ASAP. It'll be nice to fix the rear main and get a trans we can put some power through so that we can finally turn it up.

Vigo
07-13-2011, 12:51 AM
This thing has been sitting for a while. Derrick's been super busy.. Right now there is some thought about swapping it to a 5spd.

The downside of this would be.. have to buy a clutch. It would cost about the same as the rebuild parts to build the auto.

The upside of this would be.. we wouldnt have to spend the hours building the auto. We WOULD have to spend an hour or two putting a pedal and shifter into it, though.

It would get better gas mileage and be faster.. and it would be pretty unique.

What do you guys think?

TopDollar69
07-13-2011, 12:56 AM
I would keep it an auto.

bloodrose
07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
[
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC01250Medium-1.jpg
We tried to get the holes perfectly even but they came out only close to even.

I did the same with my New Yorker, same tach. It works but mine tends to jump around a lot. I connected it correctly, how jumpy is yours or is it not at all?

Vigo
07-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I dont like the tach. It is jumpy. The only thing it seems good for to me is figuring out your cruise rpm @ whatever speed, and finding WOT upshift rpm. +/- 200 rpm i'd bet. :p

Big_P
07-18-2011, 06:39 PM
I have one of those Harbor Freight tachs too, ironically in the exact same place you put yours in the gauge bezel :lol: They suck.

RoadWarrior222
07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
I dont like the tach. It is jumpy. The only thing it seems good for to me is figuring out your cruise rpm @ whatever speed, and finding WOT upshift rpm. +/- 200 rpm i'd bet. :pIF it bugs you enough, try some small capacitances across it, damp it a bit.

Vigo
07-19-2011, 01:07 AM
It doesnt bug Derrick enough, so that's that. I used to own this car but its his now. I just post in here about it because he's not a forum person.

He said he doesnt want to do a tranny swap (either auto or manual) until he can do it in his new garage at the place he's moving to in October. Hurry up and wait. :(

Vigo
04-29-2013, 01:43 AM
Man, this was a cool thread.. I should guilt trip Derrick into doing more work on the new yorker!

It's still in one piece and still runs, but still has that shitty auto trans and leaky rear main in it and he just moves it around whenever he needs to. The 2.5 in it that he got the rods and mains checked on before putting it back together seems to have a wristpin noise. We parted out an 89 2.5/520 T1 dayona that was in good working order so that engine/trans is going into the new yorker (it IS getting 5spd swapped). I gave him an 84 caravan auto trans floor shift shifter console to try and make the shifter thing look good, but we havent started the work yet. I'll post pics if we end up using it.

I also gave him a 2pc intake to bribe him into working on his new yorker. Hasnt worked yet, but when it gets fixed this next time around it will now have a 2pc intake and a 5spd swap as the major upgrades. This car has been laughably one-sided over it's history.. it takes and takes. I hope to hell it gives a little more back this next time around! :P

Khajjathefang
04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Cool car, beat him up some more so he gets back on track!