PDA

View Full Version : how do i know which steering rack i have?

bluneon
02-21-2009, 10:34 PM
my fender tag rusted off a long time ago so i'm not able to pull which steering code my car came with, either sba or sbb.

would looking up my VIN # help @ the dealership? i can't assume which rack i have based on common knowledge, sport/non-sport. reason being that my car came with 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS from the factory on a base model shadow with 14 inch steel wheels.

Turbo_Rampage
02-22-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but i think the sport rack (quick ratio) is 2.5 turns lock to lock on your steering wheel... the regular (not quick ratio) i'm not sure how many turns lock to lock it's supposed to be, but i'm sure somebody on here knows.

TheCanadian007
02-22-2009, 02:59 AM
I think the non-quick ratio are 3.5 to 4 turns lock to lock.

135sohc
02-22-2009, 03:02 AM
The dealer can give you a printout buildsheet with all that info on it.

Turbo_Rampage
02-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I would just get the quick ratio rack either way.... the dealer won't know if you brought them back a regular one as a core...

jory
02-22-2009, 11:28 PM
The firm feel rack I bought from Advance is 2 full turns lock to lock. The only difference they had listed was 14" or 15" wheels. With 14's you probably have the normal rack.

turbovanmanČ
02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Just get the sport rack.

J&H Ryan
02-25-2009, 01:22 AM
I'd think youd want to run a VIP on that car anyway, but yeah, what simon said, get the quickest rack you can find - or better yet, go manual!

bluneon
02-26-2009, 07:14 PM
lock to lock is about 2.75 turns, so i guess i just have to regular rack.

thanks!

rbryant
02-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I'd think youd want to run a VIP on that car anyway, but yeah, what simon said, get the quickest rack you can find - or better yet, go manual!

That seems contradictory... The manual is the slowest of all racks. I mean it is better in some ways to not have the PS pump as a power drain but in that case I would say get the 16:1 rack, loop the lines, and go to the gym rather than going with slowest of the racks...

I think the quick one is like 14:1 the slow 16:1 and the manual 19:1?

This is from memory only so it might be slightly offf.

-Rich

rbryant
02-26-2009, 09:05 PM
The firm feel rack I bought from Advance is 2 full turns lock to lock. The only difference they had listed was 14" or 15" wheels. With 14's you probably have the normal rack.

Is that on the car with wheels installed or with the rack loose?

If installed then you could have the tire hitting the tranny or the hub hitting the control arm limiting your turn radius and thus reducing it from 2.5 to 2 turns depending on your setup. Not that I really know but I am curious if that might be why yours is so quick.

-Rich

rbryant
02-26-2009, 09:05 PM
lock to lock is about 2.75 turns, so i guess i just have to regular rack.

thanks!

I am pretty sure my 14:1 rack is between 2.5 and 2.75. My slow one was more.

-Rich

jory
03-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Is that on the car with wheels installed or with the rack loose?

If installed then you could have the tire hitting the tranny or the hub hitting the control arm limiting your turn radius and thus reducing it from 2.5 to 2 turns depending on your setup. Not that I really know but I am curious if that might be why yours is so quick.

-Rich

That was with the rack installed and hooked up in my Spirit, the same way I drove it for months. Nothing was rubbing (15" Turbo Blade wheels with 205's) and the turning radius was not affected... Huge improvement over the normal rack. I plan on using the same rack in my Laser, 2 turns lock to lock is way better than the normal 2.5 turns that seem to be so common. Less arm movement, more turning action and better handling.