PDA

View Full Version : Daytona body lines

blk86trbo
02-21-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm an absolute fan of the Daytona, and really like the example in these pics. But, what I'm wondering is if anyone has looked at the lines of a Daytona, and thought that the window sill was low? What I mean is, the fender flows back in a nice arc towards the spoiler, but the window just drops out in the middle of it all

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee39/blk86trbo/DSCN1878.jpg

Screwing around with a paint program, I attempted to create some sort of door skin or filler panel to blend in with the body lines. Obviously something would have to be done about the side mirror and moldings, etc.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee39/blk86trbo/DSCN1878-Copy.jpg

I guess I was just wondering if anyone had ever thought about customizing a set of doors to raise the sill...

BadAssPerformance
02-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I've noticed that too Paul, but I kind of like it as it is somewhat unique so it makes the cars stand out.... Chevy Beretta's also did this, but not sure of any others?

tommyturbo
02-21-2009, 10:06 PM
it's more obvious on t-top cars because of the black trim. hardtop cars are not as much, but yes the window is a bit lower than the fender and body line.

A.J.
02-21-2009, 10:29 PM
The sill is at a perfect height when you have you arm on it. I've owned 3 and I wouldn't change a thing.

A.J.

neonsox
02-22-2009, 12:06 PM
It seems like most cars have tiny windows these days. I'm not really sure why, but I'd guess it's a safety thing. I'm not a fan of tiny windows and a ton of metal and paint. It's overkill.

JohnnyIroc
02-22-2009, 01:06 PM
it seems like it would make a cool daytona but how do u make the mirror and trim fit..

chilort
02-22-2009, 01:58 PM
It is a safety thing. I really don't enjoy newer cars because you can't hang your arm out the window as well. I had a 2002 Monte Carlo SS that I really enjoyed. It had a moon roof and with all of that open it was fun, except with your arm on the window sill your elbow was at the same height as your forehead... and I'm 6'2".

Rather than raising the sill, I think I'd rather see the entire rest of the car some down to that level. Drop the hood and the rear, then chop the top about the same amount. Short, squat, low center of gravity.... sounds like fun.

Polygon
02-22-2009, 02:20 PM
it's more obvious on t-top cars because of the black trim. hardtop cars are not as much, but yes the window is a bit lower than the fender and body line.

Exactly. Just paint it monochrome and it won't be as noticeable.

Besides, try putting your arm out the window in the second pic. It wouldn't be comfortable.

blk86trbo
02-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Everyone has made good points...was just wondering if anyone else had ever thought about the window. Maybe some time in the (very distant) future I'll try to mock something up.

Besides, try putting your arm out the window in the second pic. It wouldn't be comfortable.

I agree it would be uncomfortable...but when has comfort ever gotten in the way of style? :thumb:

Polygon
02-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I agree it would be uncomfortable...but when has comfort ever gotten in the way of style? :thumb:

Ah, touché.

chilort
02-22-2009, 04:43 PM
I guess this is more of what I had in mind.

http://turbogt.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/dodge_viper_gtsr_concept_.jpg

J&H Ryan
02-25-2009, 01:14 AM
I've always thought that like the OP. After being in a few cars with a high beltline (even my S2000 is a bit high) it gets old after awhile. Feels like you're a midget in a bucket.