PDA

View Full Version : Roller Cam on GLHS?

Chad T
02-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Hey guys,

Just picked up my head for the GLHS at the machine shop after having some studs drilled out and getting the surface trued up. My machinist pointed out that the cam is shot after only 49k miles.

After doing some searching I guess it's not that unusual. Really looks bad.

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/gallery2/d/83145-1/cam.JPG

So I want to switch to a roller cam. I'm thinking about going with the FWD F-2 package.

http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/Product.asp?IDCatalog=78&ProductID=871

Would be nice having the new rollers and lifters. Can't find any info on these lifters though. Does anyone know if these have the bleed hole like the PT lifters?

Would this setup be a straightforward install on the GLHS? Would I need to shim the lifters even with the FWD ones?

Stock valve springs be OK? I haven't removed the valves from the head and wasn't planning on a lot of work as it looks to be in good shape.

Do the TBI cams wear much? Was thinking about going that route but I want something fairly fresh since the car still has low miles. Would seem silly to put a 150k mile cam in a 49k mile car right? Or does it not matter with the roller cams?

Sorry if that's too many questions :D. I did do some searching but would like some more info. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

GLHSKEN
02-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Not sure about the F2 and shimming, Roller cams are drop in. just need the cam and rockers....

As for your cam, 49k is way too few miles to look like that. Oiling issue...

turbovanmanČ
02-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Whats your setup? If its stock, just grab a roller TBI or turbo cam and rockers, reuse your old lifters.

If you want to run PT's, then you need some shims as the lifter is shorter.

I have rockers if you can't find any and shims if you buy some PT lifters.

Pat
02-21-2009, 11:01 PM
What does the rest of the motor look like? I stock slider in my first GLHS has about 140k on it and it looks brand spankin' new.

A roller cam is just a drop in. Shoot for an '88 roller though since it already has the square tooth pulley. Supposedly, the round tooth pulley rollers ('89+) are keyed differently. I've never confirmed that myself since the '88's are easy to find, I've just used them on early square tooth motors.

black86glhs
02-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Chad, I put an 89 turbo cam in the engine in my 86 GLHS. The cam timing was off due to using the square tooth pulley on the later cam(round tooth version) but wasn't a major deal. Omni's don't have much traction under 3000 rpm anyway.:eyebrows:
Like Simon said, just get roller rockers and reuse the lifters.:nod:

Chad T
02-22-2009, 02:27 AM
As for your cam, 49k is way too few miles to look like that. Oiling issue...

Yeah it looks terrible. Wonder what might have caused it? Or maybe my picture makes it look worse than it is. I didn't notice the wear until it was poined out to me.

Whats your setup? If its stock, just grab a roller TBI or turbo cam and rockers, reuse your old lifters.

If you want to run PT's, then you need some shims as the lifter is shorter.

I have rockers if you can't find any and shims if you buy some PT lifters.

It's a stock 1986 GLHS but I'm in the process of installing a TU 3" swingvalve 3" exhaust, afpr and +20 injectors. I also have a manual boost controller (won't be installed until everything else is sorted) and might do some sort of map tricking with a zener or a bleed. Car has the Mopar performance Stage 2 logic module in it now.

Ran great on that wore out cam. I've just got the head off to install the swingvalve. I would have never noticed the cam if my guy at the machine shop hadn't pointed it out. He really knows his stuff. I saw a V8 block on a stand in there with bores the size of coffee cans. I asked him how big it was and he said it was a 502 he is building for a Sixtey's Mclaren Can Am car.

I might hit you up for those rockers and shims. I'm really leaning towards upgrading unless I can get the stock stuff for dirt cheap or the FWD F-2 re-grind requires a lot of shenanigans to make it work.

The FWD package includes brand new rockers, high RPM lifters and the re-ground cam. I just have no idea what the lifters are or if this setup will just drop in. If it's plug and play I would go for it. Somebody's got to stimulate the economy right? :D

What does the rest of the motor look like? I stock slider in my first GLHS has about 140k on it and it looks brand spankin' new.

A roller cam is just a drop in. Shoot for an '88 roller though since it already has the square tooth pulley. Supposedly, the round tooth pulley rollers ('89+) are keyed differently. I've never confirmed that myself since and since the '88's are easy to find, I've just used them on early square tooth motors.

Haven't taken the bottom end apart but this is what it looked like when I pulled the valve cover.

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/gallery2/d/81643-1/cleancam.JPG

Chad, I put an 89 turbo cam in the engine in my 86 GLHS. The cam timing was off due to using the square tooth pulley on the later cam(round tooth version) but wasn't a major deal. Omni's don't have much traction under 3000 rpm anyway.:eyebrows:
Like Simon said, just get roller rockers and reuse the lifters.:nod:

Bah hahh :lol: That's one reason I'm thinking about a bigger cam. Less wheelspin. Big torque in a itsy bitsy car makes life interesting for the guy in the next lane though. :D

You go to the Buckeye SDAC meet today? Looked like it was going to snow but it was 45 most of the day here in Cols.

turbovanmanČ
02-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Gotcha, sounds like a nice setup.

I don't want to take a sale away from Cindy but unless your porting out the head, etc, cams don't make much difference. But if you want to stimulate the economy, then buy her kit, will make life easier, :clap:

Chad T
02-22-2009, 04:06 AM
Gotcha, sounds like a nice setup.

I don't want to take a sale away from Cindy but unless your porting out the head, etc, cams don't make much difference. But if you want to stimulate the economy, then buy her kit, will make life easier, :clap:

Well it defintely needs a cam. If I could find a cheap 88 TBI in good shape for cheap with the rollers that's an option but I really like the idea of having a fresh cam, new rollers and new lifters as long as all that stuff fits good.

If I deceded to get a TBI cam with new rollers and lifters I'd be half way there anyway and if I decide to open things up later I'd already have a better cam.

If the FWD setup requires a lot of shimming cam gear adjusting etc. then the TBI cam becomes the better route for me. I just want something simple that will work well and I want to get rid of the slider deal.

Chad T
02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Ok decided to go the TBI roller route. Just got a set of new rollers on ebay for 20 bucks. Dealer wants $248 for the cam. I've found one online for $177. Anybody know of a better price than that anywhere?

After searching all the posts on the TBI cam I think I finally realized after 20 years why my 1988 Daytona C/S T1 seemed to have more top end than my '89 C/S T2. :)

Should I do the PT lifters? I do remember knocking a lifter off on my '88 Daytona with this same cam. I am a little more careful now though. ;)

turbovanmanČ
02-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Ok decided to go the TBI roller route. Just got a set of new rollers on ebay for 20 bucks. Dealer wants $248 for the cam. I've found one online for $177. Anybody know of a better price than that anywhere?

After searching all the posts on the TBI cam I think I finally realized after 20 years why my 1988 Daytona C/S T1 seemed to have more top end than my '89 C/S T2. :)

Should I do the PT lifters? I do remember knocking a lifter off on my '88 Daytona with this same cam. I am a little more careful now though. ;)

I have a stock turbo cam for $50 plus shipping.

For a TBI cam, hit up your local wrecking yard.

PT lifters, I loved them, they are a good upgrade so the choice really is yours, reuse your old ones or buy new ones.

black86glhs
02-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah it looks terrible. Wonder what might have caused it? Or maybe my picture makes it look worse than it is. I didn't notice the wear until it was poined out to me.

It's a stock 1986 GLHS but I'm in the process of installing a TU 3" swingvalve 3" exhaust, afpr and +20 injectors. I also have a manual boost controller (won't be installed until everything else is sorted) and might do some sort of map tricking with a zener or a bleed. Car has the Mopar performance Stage 2 logic module in it now.

Ran great on that wore out cam. I've just got the head off to install the swingvalve. I would have never noticed the cam if my guy at the machine shop hadn't pointed it out. He really knows his stuff. I saw a V8 block on a stand in there with bores the size of coffee cans. I asked him how big it was and he said it was a 502 he is building for a Sixtey's Mclaren Can Am car.

I might hit you up for those rockers and shims. I'm really leaning towards upgrading unless I can get the stock stuff for dirt cheap or the FWD F-2 re-grind requires a lot of shenanigans to make it work.

The FWD package includes brand new rockers, high RPM lifters and the re-ground cam. I just have no idea what the lifters are or if this setup will just drop in. If it's plug and play I would go for it. Somebody's got to stimulate the economy right? :D

Haven't taken the bottom end apart but this is what it looked like when I pulled the valve cover.

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/gallery2/d/81643-1/cleancam.JPG

Bah hahh :lol: That's one reason I'm thinking about a bigger cam. Less wheelspin. Big torque in a itsy bitsy car makes life interesting for the guy in the next lane though. :D

You go to the Buckeye SDAC meet today? Looked like it was going to snow but it was 45 most of the day here in Cols.Yes, I was at the meet. Pretty good turnout except for those pesky Columbus people.:lol:
I have an adjustable gear now, so maybe I can freak out a few more ricers.:thumb:

Chad T
02-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Yes, I was at the meet. Pretty good turnout except for those pesky Columbus people.:lol:
I have an adjustable gear now, so maybe I can freak out a few more ricers.:thumb:

Sweet! I hope to make it to one when I get the car back together.

Ordered a new TBI cam and PT lifters today. :D

I know I'm spending too much but it's a low miles s and I want to know exactly what I'm putting in there and how old it is.

turbovanmanČ
02-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Sweet! I hope to make it to one when I get the car back together.

Ordered a new TBI cam and PT lifters today. :D

I know I'm spending too much but it's a low miles s and I want to know exactly what I'm putting in there and how old it is.

Nice, :nod:

Don't forget to find some shims for the lifters.

Did you order the MP lifters?

Chad T
02-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Nice, :nod:

Don't forget to find some shims for the lifters.

Did you order the MP lifters?

Yeah I got the MP ones. Took me forever to find them on the site I was ordering the cam from (moparpartsamerica.com). I had to ad the p in front of the number then they came up. P5007440 is what finally worked. $30 per set of 4.

I'm going to check with the Pope to see if he still has some of the washers. If not I'll get something from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks for all the advise! :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
02-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah I got the MP ones. Took me forever to find them on the site I was ordering the cam from (moparpartsamerica.com). I had to ad the p in front of the number then they came up. P5007440 is what finally worked. $30 per set of 4.

I'm going to check with the Pope to see if he still has some of the washers. If not I'll get something from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks for all the advise! :thumb:

I have posted that number before but maybe I'll add it to the KC.

Yeah, cheap from MP, good deal.

Good luck with your car, should be alot of fun when your finished, :thumb: