PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction LeBaron GTC Trunk Decals

Polygon
02-20-2009, 01:04 PM
As luck would have it the trunk decals for the LeBaron GTC have been placed as NS1 from the dealer and can no longer be ordered. Now, I have one brand new set ready to go on my GTC when I get it back from the body shop. They are the block fade type used from 1988 through 1991. They are also the dark pewter color but I will have no problem making them the lighter pewter. I tried to get Positive Impressions to do this but they just don't have the time I guess.

So, I've scanned in the decals and gotten them ready to take to a local company that can recreate them. He is estimating around $25 per set after I pay for the setup fees. I will also be having him make some high temp GTC decals to go on the calipers. If any of you LeBaron guys are interested just post up in here and I will let you know when you can order.

I am also working to see if we can reproduce the later decals as well.

neongary
02-20-2009, 09:42 PM
That's cool! I'd love to see someone reproduce a lot of the other decals too, such as emission, tire pressure, air bag and a/c warning, etc. My locals won't touch them for fear of copyright infringement.

Polygon
02-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Actually, you can get that one new from the dealer.

neongary
02-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Actually, you can get that one new from the dealer.

He he. Well that was just an example. Can't get anything else mentioned new.

Tony Fields
02-20-2009, 11:53 PM
You might give Martin Kolner a shout.
He is a member here. He has a lot of the discontinued items.

Left side "CHRYSLER" is part no. T402JD8
Right side "LEBARON GTC" is part no. T403JD8

He owns
www.ArizonaParts.com

135sohc
02-21-2009, 02:08 AM
You might give Martin Kolner a shout.
He is a member here. He has a lot of the discontinued items.

Left side "CHRYSLER" is part no. T402JD8
Right side "LEBARON GTC" is part no. T403JD8

He owns
www.ArizonaParts.com

Sure he is a great source. but there will come a day when all the remaining stock is depleted, and your back to square one. Not having anything

I think thats why threads like this and group buys to encourage aftermarket vendors/MFG's to make new stuff wherever possible should be promoted. So were not fighting over an ever dwindling supply of parts (window scrapers, weatherstripping, intercooled style radiators ect) and the victor is whoever has the biggest wallet :(

slasky
02-21-2009, 03:47 AM
My locals won't touch them for fear of copyright infringement.
Just keep trying. I actually have not found anyone local here that would not reproduce decals.

neongary
02-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Sure he is a great source. but there will come a day when all the remaining stock is depleted, and your back to square one. Not having anything

I think thats why threads like this and group buys to encourage aftermarket vendors/MFG's to make new stuff wherever possible should be promoted. So were not fighting over an ever dwindling supply of parts (window scrapers, weatherstripping, intercooled style radiators ect) and the victor is whoever has the biggest wallet :(

Probably comes down to if the vendors feel like it is worth the investment to tool up to make those items for a limited market. After all, it isn't like making something to fit a Mustang!
I tried to have some decals made by Positive Impressions, but with no luck. It was just too much bother or trouble.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31047

Polygon
02-21-2009, 04:01 PM
He he. Well that was just an example. Can't get anything else mentioned new.

True. However, if I could somehow get some that I could use to scan in I'm sure this guy would reproduce them. He's been doing logos for a lot of classic restorations for the shop my LeBaron is as now. I don't think he would have an issue with this.

As for Martin, been there, done that. He doesn't have them. It's regardless anyways as I'm going to this guy to get some GTC hi temp vinyl decals made for the front calipers as well using that same font. I figured I mind as well have these set up as there are about 10-15 people that have showed interest in getting some of these.

135sohc
02-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Probably comes down to if the vendors feel like it is worth the investment to tool up to make those items for a limited market. After all, it isn't like making something to fit a Mustang!
I tried to have some decals made by Positive Impressions, but with no luck. It was just too much bother or trouble.

Agreed. but when I say "vendors" I'm not necessarly referring to or thinking of the vendors here or elsewhere who specialize in these cars. Dont mean to sound rude or harsh when I say this. But just because one of "our" vendors cant or wont supply something due to whatever their reasoning it is (and I understand where there coming from) doesnt mean someone else cant or that someone shouldnt look elsewhere for a solution. thats all

neongary
02-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Agreed. but when I say "vendors" I'm not necessarly referring to or thinking of the vendors here or elsewhere who specialize in these cars. Dont mean to sound rude or harsh when I say this. But just because one of "our" vendors cant or wont supply something due to whatever their reasoning it is (and I understand where there coming from) doesnt mean someone else cant or that someone shouldnt look elsewhere for a solution. thats all

You don't sound harsh. Hey, when it comes to getting more parts for "our" cars, the more companies that jump on board the better it is for all of us. The vendors that we deal with now are the best, but they can't offer everything. When it comes to decals/graphics, I would think ideally someone that is already in the biz would be better prepared to offer things for our cars.

Polygon
02-22-2009, 01:54 PM
You don't sound harsh. Hey, when it comes to getting more parts for "our" cars, the more companies that jump on board the better it is for all of us. The vendors that we deal with now are the best, but they can't offer everything. When it comes to decals/graphics, I would think ideally someone that is already in the biz would be better prepared to offer things for our cars.

Well, they guy I'm getting to to this is in the business. I got his info from the shop that is painting my GTC. This guy makes them stencils and decals for a lot of classic muscle cars they restore.

He is in the business.

neongary
02-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Well, they guy I'm getting to to this is in the business. I got his info from the shop that is painting my GTC. This guy makes them stencils and decals for a lot of classic muscle cars they restore.

He is in the business.

That's cool! I'm sure he appreciates the business, especially these days.

LaserXT1986
02-24-2009, 05:37 PM
(Ahem) cough cough (ahem) :D

Guess no one checks the TM board for those vendors that actually contribute to TM and can possibly help out with what people need done? :(

Just take a look at my signature for a small sampling of what I have done for this community. As far as copyright bs, I have PLENTY to say about the "supposed" license that Positive Impressions has...actually, rather than re-hash it here, you can search for my comment in other threads on the issue.

Back to the matter at hand....who needs what? I guarantee you I have in my facility more manufacturing capability than most shops out there. I also will bet I have more experience (over 20 years) in the business :)

What can I help TM members with? :thumb:

(BTW, I am not the only one on here that does this sort of stuff....Kurt Check (Devilish) also does this sort of stuff as well, has equipment similiar to mine, and even did work for FWD Performance).

Polygon
02-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey, I would rather keep this in the community. I thought that Positive Impressions were the only vendors re-popping decals. They pretty much told me it wasn't worth time right now, maybe later.

Well, I'm getting my car back soon. I don't have time to wait until later and I'll be using these OEM decals soon.

So, pretty much here's the deal. All LeBaron GTC trunk decals have been discontinued and you can't find them anywhere except maybe on eBay and sellers are asking $100 for them, ridiculous. Now, I have a set for a 1989 GTC ready to go on my car and I was offering to have them redone for the members I have found that really want them but can't get them.

Would you be interested in taking it on? If so, what would you need from me? Also, what can we do to get the later style 1992+ redone as well?

neongary
02-24-2009, 07:08 PM
(Ahem) cough cough (ahem) :D

Guess no one checks the TM board for those vendors that actually contribute to TM and can possibly help out with what people need done? :(

Just take a look at my signature for a small sampling of what I have done for this community. As far as copyright bs, I have PLENTY to say about the "supposed" license that Positive Impressions has...actually, rather than re-hash it here, you can search for my comment in other threads on the issue.

Back to the matter at hand....who needs what? I guarantee you I have in my facility more manufacturing capability than most shops out there. I also will bet I have more experience (over 20 years) in the business :)

What can I help TM members with? :thumb:

(BTW, I am not the only one on here that does this sort of stuff....Kurt Check (Devilish) also does this sort of stuff as well, has equipment similiar to mine, and even did work for FWD Performance).

Sorry David, didn't know you were out there.
If you read my post #2, those are some of the things that I am looking for.
Anyway, this is what I need for my '89 Lebaron:
Air Bag warning label
Tire pressure label
A/C service label
Emissions label
Electric fan warning label
Compact spare usage label
I already have pictures of some of the labels and can supply high resolution pics thanks to my overpriced Canon EOS 50D.
My initial contact with PI last year was to reproduce the ultra-rare Indy Pace Car decals that I have. I was thinking about making my Lebaron a pace car replica. I have all the decals except for the "Chrysler" on the windshield header.

Reaper1
02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I've known Dave personally for about 10 years now(he's the next door neighbor to one of my really good friends). He is a stand up guy, and is VERY detail oriented, sometimes to a negative extent.

PI does in fact hold a license to reproduce SHELBY decals. I don't know about Chrysler, but I do know the Shelby thing for FACT as it put him in a pretty tight financial bind for a long time to aquire that!

He has told me several times that he would not produce certain decals due to copyright things.

Then there are things myself and some of my friends just don't understand, like why he refuses to repro the CSX-T lower door decals!? His claimed reason is becuase he couldn't find a color that was exactly right. With Dave, when he says "exactly" he means exactly! We are of the opinion that the colors are all faded after 20 years and there isn't a person alive that could tell a shade or two difference between what was new and what he could get produced.

Whatever, it's his buisness.

PI does in fact offer top quality products for resonable prices to a dwindling community. He pretty much does it because he loves these cars, not becuase he's trying to make a mint off it, trust me on that!(I am not implying that any of our vendors have any other motive either, just to be clear)

neongary
02-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Well I have my own views on how much of a "stand up" guy he is.
I have better vibes for David C. Lucidi helping out with the decal dilemma.

LaserXT1986
02-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Then there are things myself and some of my friends just don't understand, like why he refuses to repro the CSX-T lower door decals!? His claimed reason is becuase he couldn't find a color that was exactly right. With Dave, when he says "exactly" he means exactly! We are of the opinion that the colors are all faded after 20 years and there isn't a person alive that could tell a shade or two difference between what was new and what he could get produced.

Buddy, there is a LOT you do not know.

*I* was contacted by PI about doing the lower door sill CSX decals. YOUR reason listed, is NOT the reason he didn't go with it.

Get your facts together before posting such nonsense. Here is the TRUTH about Positive Impressions (scroll down to read MY post).

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18073

He doesn't even use 3M exclusively anymore, I have installed his products on friends cars where he used Avery (a less quality brand), and his CSX windshield decals take SHORTCUTS instead of doing it right (I re-did several people's on here as a favor because they were so unhappy with Dave's "shortcut" version). I could go on and on, but the thread above sums it up.

PI does in fact offer top quality products for resonable prices to a dwindling community. He pretty much does it because he loves these cars, not becuase he's trying to make a mint off it, trust me on that!(I am not implying that any of our vendors have any other motive either, just to be clear)

Well when Dave first started out, he used 3M exclusively. I still have the catalog stating so. He does not use 3M exclusively, anymore (but still charges the prices as IF it WAS 3M!). He has taken shortcuts in quality and production methods to save costs.

That's fine and good, so long as people understand he is not making "top quality" products. Top quality starts with top quality materials.

As a former *supplier* TO Dave @PI, I know firsthand how much things have changed since he started out.

LaserXT1986
02-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey, I would rather keep this in the community. I thought that Positive Impressions were the only vendors re-popping decals. They pretty much told me it wasn't worth time right now, maybe later.

Well, I'm getting my car back soon. I don't have time to wait until later and I'll be using these OEM decals soon.

So, pretty much here's the deal. All LeBaron GTC trunk decals have been discontinued and you can't find them anywhere except maybe on eBay and sellers are asking $100 for them, ridiculous. Now, I have a set for a 1989 GTC ready to go on my car and I was offering to have them redone for the members I have found that really want them but can't get them.

Would you be interested in taking it on? If so, what would you need from me? Also, what can we do to get the later style 1992+ redone as well?

In order to reproduce any decal, an original is needed for the best reproduction results. Typically if it is unused (still has the pre-mask on it), it may have to be "used" in the process (i.e., it gets put down on a piece of clear acetate for scanning). Some people do not wish to do this (ruin their only original), but it's impossible to accurately scan and re-trace the decal with that pre-mask on it.

A picture can be used in a pinch (under certain circumstances) but the clean up time is considerably more (and thus more costly).

I actually did some Lebaron GTC stuff a long time ago but it was done in within a 3 hours from cleanup (from a picture) to applying final decal to car for a show. I assure you it is not as accurate as it could be. I'd be happy to offer consultation on what you have and what you need :thumb:

LaserXT1986
02-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Sorry David, didn't know you were out there.
If you read my post #2, those are some of the things that I am looking for.
Anyway, this is what I need for my '89 Lebaron:
Air Bag warning label
Tire pressure label
A/C service label
Emissions label
Electric fan warning label
Compact spare usage label
I already have pictures of some of the labels and can supply high resolution pics thanks to my overpriced Canon EOS 50D.
My initial contact with PI last year was to reproduce the ultra-rare Indy Pace Car decals that I have. I was thinking about making my Lebaron a pace car replica. I have all the decals except for the "Chrysler" on the windshield header.

It's alright Gary, not everyone does ;)

See my above post on what I need to reproduce the decals for more information. And regarding copyright issues, an easy way around that is not charge you (i.e., work out a trade). :thumb:

neongary
02-24-2009, 08:57 PM
No way I could supply an original for all of the small decals that I'm looking for. My originals on the car are a mess and I think that if I tried to remove them, they would fall apart.
I don't know anything about your biz, but a lot of these look real simple, like black background, white lettering, etc. If the font and size was close, I wouldn't care!

LaserXT1986
02-24-2009, 09:08 PM
No way I could supply an original for all of the small decals that I'm looking for. My originals on the car are a mess and I think that if I tried to remove them, they would fall apart.
I don't know anything about your biz, but a lot of these look real simple, like black background, white lettering, etc. If the font and size was close, I wouldn't care!

Gary,

That picture would take me 23 hours to properly replicate into a decal. The cost, for you, would be $1023.40. Pre-payment, please.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Just kidding :p:p

Actually, stuff like that IS simple...just requires some good shots as close to 90 degree (dead on) as possible, and precise measurements (tape a tape measure to the bottom, starting with 1" so you dont have the mis-measurement of the metal tab at 0").

Feel free to email me at LaserXT1986@aol.com with anything you need/want and we'll go from there. Thanks!:)

Reaper1
02-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Dave L., I'm sorry you have such a poor opinion of Dave S. Please don't bite my head off....

Please take note that I was not trying to spread false information and that I did say that it was his reasoning to my friends and I why he wouldn't produce them.

I've never had the bad experience of getting lackluster products from him, but I also know that he changed his source for his product(appearantly you) to a local guy in Jax.

As always there are sides to stories that are unknown to all but those involved. I was mearly stating what was known to ME.

It is sad to know that he has deviated from the quality that he once had. Oh well, that's why there's free enterprise in this country, if you can bring on a superior product for near the same cost, then let's have it! :thumb:

neongary
02-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Gary,

That picture would take me 23 hours to properly replicate into a decal. The cost, for you, would be $1023.40. Pre-payment, please.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Just kidding :p:p

Actually, stuff like that IS simple...just requires some good shots as close to 90 degree (dead on) as possible, and precise measurements (tape a tape measure to the bottom, starting with 1" so you dont have the mis-measurement of the metal tab at 0").

Feel free to email me at LaserXT1986@aol.com with anything you need/want and we'll go from there. Thanks!:)

I just about had a heart attack! Anyway, I will definitely be getting back with you on the specs and better pics. Can your e-mail handle a large file .jpg?

LaserXT1986
02-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Dave L., I'm sorry you have such a poor opinion of Dave S. Please don't bite my head off....

Please take note that I was not trying to spread false information and that I did say that it was his reasoning to my friends and I why he wouldn't produce them.

I've never had the bad experience of getting lackluster products from him, but I also know that he changed his source for his product(appearantly you) to a local guy in Jax.

As always there are sides to stories that are unknown to all but those involved. I was mearly stating what was known to ME.

It is sad to know that he has deviated from the quality that he once had. Oh well, that's why there's free enterprise in this country, if you can bring on a superior product for near the same cost, then let's have it! :thumb:

Reaper, I too apologize for coming off so hot-headed. Dave S. left a VERY bad taste in my mouth after how much I did for him in the past. There is far more than I mentioned in that old post, believe me. I am not trying to toot my own horn, but I give back plenty to this community. Frank and Ken can verify what I have done for TM. Barry can verify what I did for SDAC. I did plenty for Dave S. too, like carrying a bill for $60 friggin dollars, for over *90 Days* (cause he was hurting for money really bad). Then after being that nice, I get told he is using someone else for future GLHS decals because they were about $1.00 per set cheaper from this other source. Talk about a slap in the face after I carried him! I could literally spend an hour and a page typing everything else but you get the point.

I do apologize about aiming the sights in your direction, that was not my intent. The local guy in Jax (I want to say his name was Kevin but not sure) was the same guy who dropped the price $1.00 per set on those GLHS decals. And he did so by using non-3M material (which, btw, he should have been able to lower the price MUCH more than a buck). When he put me through the CSX sidesills ordeal for over 3 months, only to try to nickle and dime me to death (by using crap materials), I had enough. I should have actually said no from the get-go, after what happened with the GLHS incident. But being the nice guy I was, I gave him a second chance.

Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me lol.

Anyway, again, sorry about biting your head off Reaper :o

Reaper1
02-24-2009, 11:48 PM
It's all good...there are people I know that I feel the same way about. No harm, no foul! :thumb:

J&H Ryan
02-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Hi Dave!

I didn't forget about you, but I wasn't about to throw your name out there or put you on the spot. If you're up for some "trades" I've be interested in some of the newer-style lebaron emblems. We could start this thread as a info center. I'm thinking about buying some "PHANTOM R/T" stickers as polygon said they were still available at the dealer, and taking high-res pics of the the "CHRYSLER LEBARON GTC" to be able to pick between calling my car a phantom gtc or just leaving it stock. The doors are for sure going to go from lebaron gtc to the older style "turbo gtc" to differentiate my car from the V6's that got the same moulding. If you need any kind of help let me know. I'd likely be interested in the same decals gary wants, assuming they didn't change 89 to 92.

Rooster
02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
so any updates on this?

LaserXT1986
03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
I just about had a heart attack! Anyway, I will definitely be getting back with you on the specs and better pics. Can your e-mail handle a large file .jpg?

Gary,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Yes, my email can handle up to 16mb. You can try either of the following:

LaserXT1986 "at" aol.com
LucidiCorp "at" comcast.net

Thanks! -Dave

mcsvt
03-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Dave maybe we should wrap my Sundance :eyebrows: ... Or at least come up with something fun.

And thanks for jumping in on reproductions :thumb:

Polygon
03-04-2009, 07:14 PM
so any updates on this?

Only update I can give right now is that he's right, to scan them in I'd have to destroy the one set I have. I'd really rather get them on the car and then get a high res shot of both. From there they can easily be mapped in Illustrator and cut on a plotter.

neongary
03-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Gary,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Yes, my email can handle up to 16mb. You can try either of the following:

LaserXT1986 "at" aol.com
LucidiCorp "at" comcast.net

Thanks! -Dave
Well I sent you some pics. Not too happy about the quality on my end, you will have to let me know if they are useable or not. I'll try again if they aren't good enough.

LaserXT1986
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Well I sent you some pics. Not too happy about the quality on my end, you will have to let me know if they are useable or not. I'll try again if they aren't good enough.

Gary,

Got the emails, will look them over and email you back in a day or so.

Thanks!