PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Need a turbo A413 quick and cheap

LaserXT1986
02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Hey all,

The trans in my 85 Turbo New Yorker finally sh!t the sheets, and I am in desperate need of one. Here's the requirements:

1.) Cheap
2.) Quickly
3.) Within a radius of 100 miles of 19036

Anyone? I know it's asking a lot but figured I'd give it a shot.

Thanks for any help!

contraption22
02-19-2009, 09:32 AM
What are your symptoms?

"Top Fuel" Bender
02-19-2009, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=LaserXT1986;446729]
[QUOTE]

If its anywhere in eastern Pa I'll make sure it gets to you
just lmk if someone's got one

LaserXT1986
02-19-2009, 09:47 AM
What are your symptoms?

Remember what it was like when you were in the car with me? After I toasted it on the way to Canada?

Well, now its like that, only it doesnt move lol. No, I have to pretty much redline it to get it moving...once it does, it grabs and then instantly lets go requiring more flooring. I can drive it short distances by redlining the engine and scaring the crap out of people at intersections trying to cross. Fluid is full and red, it's just the trans' early problems final caught up and died.

briceturbosports
02-19-2009, 10:26 AM
i have one dave its an 89 so you need big spline axels it has 77 458 miles on it . came from my moms turbo spirit $ 125.00 :thumb: its out on the floor ready to be installed let me know later greg

LaserXT1986
02-19-2009, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=LaserXT1986;446729]
[QUOTE]

If its anywhere in eastern Pa I'll make sure it gets to you
just lmk if someone's got one

Thanks Bruce! I got a message you called, I will try to call you at lunch!! :D

LaserXT1986
02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
i have one dave its an 89 so you need big spline axels it has 77 458 miles on it . came from my moms turbo spirit $ 125.00 :thumb: its out on the floor ready to be installed let me know later greg

Dammit...I'd snag that in a heartbeat, except:

1.) I don't have an extra pair of large hubs for the front :(
2.) The car has the old style 4 lug setup on it now, with wheels that have almost brand new tires on them :(

So even if I did change to the hubs, I need to find 2 wheels with *5 lugs* and then with new tires on it :banghead:

Thanks for the offer tho!

briceturbosports
02-19-2009, 01:05 PM
outter hubs are the same size

LaserXT1986
02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
outter hubs are the same size

Wait....so you mean I only have to get 2 axles to make this work?

Are you sure the later, larger axles will fit into the hubs of an 85, 4 lug hub? I truthfully never knew that, thus why I ask.

If so...happen to have any axles? LOL!

"Top Fuel" Bender
02-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Wait....so you mean I only have to get 2 axles to make this work?

Are you sure the later, larger axles will fit into the hubs of an 85, 4 lug hub? I truthfully never knew that, thus why I ask.

If so...happen to have any axles? LOL!

Yeap that's all you need
Mike was/is running the contraption on 4-lugs with big trans spline axles

LaserXT1986
02-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeap that's all you need
Mike was/is running the contraption on 4-lugs with big trans spline axles

Ok...anyone got a good set of used large spline axles as well? :eyebrows::eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Older trans won't work, TC mounting is different to the flex plate. If you can bolt on an 8 bolt flexplate, your ok, otherwise, you have to change the pump.

contraption22
02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Older trans won't work, TC mounting is different to the flex plate. If you can bolt on an 8 bolt flexplate, your ok, otherwise, you have to change the pump.

^^^^ tru dat.

Plus I would be concerned about the condition of the torque converter without knowing exactly what is going on in this bad trans.

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2009, 02:11 PM
^^^^ tru dat.

Plus I would be concerned about the condition of the torque converter without knowing exactly what is going on in this bad trans.

Yes if he was reusing his old converter and pump, to which I highly not recommend.

"Top Fuel" Bender
02-19-2009, 07:51 PM

HUH?????
It's an '85 not an '84
'84's had the 3 bolt torque conv.
'85 and up got the 4 bolt conv.
If not , I should have a 6 bolt flexplate here somewhere, I've gotta double check

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2009, 08:13 PM
HUH?????
It's an '85 not an '84
'84's had the 3 bolt torque conv.
'85 and up got the 4 bolt conv.
If not , I should have a 6 bolt flexplate here somewhere, I've gotta double check

Crap, your right, I get mixed up on those years and the pump differences, lol.

The pump and TC are different but use 4 lugs, my bad.

But just make sure its small spline, I know that one is right, ;)

contraption22
02-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Ok...anyone got a good set of used large spline axles as well? :eyebrows::eyebrows:

Why go cheap? Herr Driveline in Havertown is a local Mom & Pop CV axle rebuilder. Might cost ya more, but at least you'll know what you're getting.
I use them whenever I can.

"Top Fuel" Bender
02-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Why go cheap? Herr Driveline in Havertown is a local Mom & Pop CV axle rebuilder. Might cost ya more, but at least you'll know what you're getting.

well if dave would ever call me back

contraption22
02-20-2009, 11:06 AM

Ah Bruce, I'm just having a little fun with Dave, spilling over from the Walmart thread. I can hear him cursing at me from here. lol

LaserXT1986
02-20-2009, 11:58 AM

I know, I know....I had an issue with one of our larger client having a warping issue on a lobby sign project we did in Washigton state and spent 3 hours yesterday trying to make them understand I need PICTURES of the problem to determine what is causing it. Idiots, GOSH! (hehehe)

That might be good for the Laser with the Super 60, 3" exhaust, 3" swingvalve, Koni/Eibach suspension, rear sway bar, etc., etc., etc.

On my 85 POS "Showroom model" Ny'er, I could care less if the axles came from a dumster at....WALMART :eyebrows: lol

Ah Bruce, I'm just having a little fun with Dave, spilling over from the Walmart thread. I can hear him cursing at me from here. lol

LMAO nah not cursin, it was actually a fun little thread....at least with you we can either agree to disagree, or see eye to eye. Some people couldn't do either :confused2:

Hey Mike, will you be at the meeting Sunday? I'll grab my part and you'll have money for beer and food...sound good? LOL!

contraption22
02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Hey Mike, will you be at the meeting Sunday? I'll grab my part and you'll have money for beer and food...sound good? LOL!

Yup, I'll be there! I'll bring your distributor.

turbovanmanČ
02-20-2009, 01:51 PM

I agree, I use a local rebuilder, he's a bit more money but never had an issue, knock on wood, :thumb:

"Top Fuel" Bender
02-20-2009, 03:21 PM
WOOPS
I stand corrected
from the dodgegarge

turbovanman was right

A-413 Automatic, 2.2/2.5 & 3.0 V6

We will concern ourselves with the 84-92 model years here; This is a very general listing because I'm much more familiar with the manual transmissions.

84-85; 3 lug torque converter, 6 bolt flexplate, notches on converter for pump, small axles.

86; 4 lug converter, 8 bolt flexplate, flats on converter for pump, small axles.

87-92; 4 lug converter, 8 bolt flexplate, flats on converter, big axles with redesigned differential