PDA

View Full Version : What do you find easier?

Mopar318
02-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Do you guys find it easier to pull the engine with the trans, or just unbolt the trans and pull the engine seperate.

Ill be digging into this tomorrow and pulling the engine for the first time in the daytona. Just looking for some input.

turbovanmanČ
02-16-2009, 07:53 PM
With a 5 speed car, pull the engine and trans, its very tight to remove the engine leaving the trans in the car. You could pull the trans first but thats more work.

raccoon
02-16-2009, 07:54 PM
together

jl93sundance
02-16-2009, 07:55 PM
together out the top....

Mopar318
02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
With a 5 speed car, pull the engine and trans, its very tight to remove the engine leaving the trans in the car. You could pull the trans first but thats more work.

Sounds good. pull the axles first Im guessing? Im still a newbie to this FWD stuff.:D

jl93sundance
02-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Sounds good. pull the axles first Im guessing? Im still a newbie to this FWD stuff.:D

Yes pull the axles:thumb:

Mopar318
02-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Yes pull the axles:thumb:

It would be nice if they magically popped out while pulling the engine.:lol:

Anonymous_User
02-17-2009, 02:21 AM
Car on hoist, drop k-member, drop engine/tranny combo out the bottom. :)

butchsuppe
02-17-2009, 02:38 AM
WTF these guys sure do everything the hard way as in more work involved. Pull just the eng. with the crank pulley off. This way you don't have to mess with the axles, shift cables + speedo cable if it has one. Pulled the eng. more than once on my Laser without pulling the trans. You need to support the trans after the motors out, I use straps to do this. I've only changed 1 or 2 HUNDRED car engines in my life + only a few it was best to pull the trans with it. Your Tona isn't one of them. I also change my turbo without pulling the head.

Mopar318
02-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I guess Ill try it both ways. If I cant get my fingers in there to get the bolts out, Ill pull the axles, and pull its as a complete unit.

GLHNSLHT2
02-17-2009, 01:03 PM
I do both together out the bottom with a jack and jack stands. I can have the whole thing out in 4 hrs or less with hand tools doing everything by myself.

Mopar318
02-17-2009, 08:33 PM
In 4 hours I have the engine/trans sitting on jack stand ready to be pulled.

Seems like pulling the engine/trans together is the way to go. Everything went smooth, besides trying to get the lower ball joint off, so I resorted to taking off the 2 strut bolts.

Where are you guys putting your chains to pull the engine? The head is still on.

GLHNSLHT2
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I put one on the a/c bracket and the other on a boss on off the tranny or the side of the head where the ground wire attaches too.

Anonymous_User
02-18-2009, 02:16 AM
If yer goin' out the top, get one of those load leveller thingy's. Works great for getting the angle right to shoe horn the assembly back in.

Mopar318
02-18-2009, 08:33 AM
If yer goin' out the top, get one of those load leveller thingy's. Works great for getting the angle right to shoe horn the assembly back in.

I have one. It has a crank on a screw so you can adjust where you level the load.

bfarroo
02-19-2009, 09:30 PM
In 4 hours I have the engine/trans sitting on jack stand ready to be pulled.

Seems like pulling the engine/trans together is the way to go. Everything went smooth, besides trying to get the lower ball joint off, so I resorted to taking off the 2 strut bolts.

Where are you guys putting your chains to pull the engine? The head is still on.

I use a chain and put a loop around the passengers side engine mount and use a bolt to hold it together. The other end I wrap around the trans and put together with another bolt.

Mopar318
02-19-2009, 10:32 PM
I use a chain and put a loop around the passengers side engine mount and use a bolt to hold it together. The other end I wrap around the trans and put together with another bolt.

I put a bolt throught the passenger side motor mount, and throught the chaine. Then ran a bolt through the chain onto a tab on the transmission. Came out like butter.:)