PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on FWD P. Stage 3 cali.

Dave
04-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Just like to get some thoughts on Cindy's Stage 3 calibration. I'll be installing it today to try and get rid of some not-so-much-sluggish but not fast top end. It's not pulling "as hard" past the 1/8 mile so I'm guessing fuel and spark curvature could help this as I'm running stock fuel on 16psi. Basically running out my fuel. I guess some different fuel curves could solve this problem.

So should I be worried about ANYTHING with this computer? Too much timing? Not enough fuel? Too much spark? Anything? Just want to know some real opinions on them here.

Thanks,
-Bryan

BIG PSI
04-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Just like to get some thoughts on Cindy's Stage 3 calibration. I'll be installing it today to try and get rid of some not-so-much-sluggish but not fast top end. It's not pulling "as hard" past the 1/8 mile so I'm guessing fuel and spark curvature could help this as I'm running stock fuel on 16psi. Basically running out my fuel. I guess some different fuel curves could solve this problem.

So should I be worried about ANYTHING with this computer? Too much timing? Not enough fuel? Too much spark? Anything? Just want to know some real opinions on them here.

Thanks,
-Bryan

Just got off the phone with Cindy and she said to at LEAST put on an
A/F Gauge, then the plus 20 and the AFPR, set the fuel press, test, and then install the computer....

She also said that you are treading water for a motor meltdown unless you take some precautions. It sounds like to me that it will be a long Summer with you walking if you keep pushing for the 13 second ET

Dad:yuck:

Keito
04-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Did you guys put a big fuel pump it in yet?
I run a 255lph, and a RP GLHS Stage 3 cal set for 16 psi.
Last year I ran a few passes @ 21-22 psi, and A/F guage was still
showing rich.

BIG PSI
04-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Did you guys put a big fuel pump it in yet?
I run a 255lph, and a RP GLHS Stage 3 cal set for 16 psi.
Last year I ran a few passes @ 21-22 psi, and A/F guage was still
showing rich.

Yes he has the 255 lph fuel pump in and a boost gauge and the factory tach. That is all he has to monitor the destruction of the pistons. He is bound and determined to run 13.99 1/4 or blow it up trying...

I hope he likes riding the city bus to work and walking to his g/f..
:evil:

Chuck

mark
04-10-2006, 12:32 PM
buy him a bike with the bananna seat. Why make his GF suffer cause he broke the car :):)

tryingbe
04-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Needs wide band...

turbovanmanČ
04-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Wideband would be nice but an air/fuel and egt guage will do nicely.

cordes
04-10-2006, 04:52 PM
I would definatly hold off until you pick up some more gauges and some
+20s or 40s.

contraption22
04-10-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't beleive in cals that aren't custom dyno tuned. Anything less is like the tuner throwing darts while blindfolded.

GLHS592
04-10-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't beleive in cals that aren't custom dyno tuned. Anything less is like the tuner throwing darts while blindfolded.

Been there, done that. I got tired of sending it back and forth.

BadAssPerformance
04-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Who needs a cal?

How many faster than 14 second cars have there been with stock or mopar cals? Paul Smith's van first went 12's with a stock SMEC... I have a MP Stage II CSX logic in my T2 Shadow Clone...

turbovanmanČ
04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Who needs a cal?

How many faster than 14 second cars have there been with stock or mopar cals? Paul Smith's van first went 12's with a stock SMEC... I have a MP Stage II CSX logic in my T2 Shadow Clone...

Actually, Paul used a custom cal-
New custom Computer from Rob Maxon (required for 75# injectors)09-01-01

Terry Ryan used a stock cal and a RR but he said it was a PITA to tune.

Pat
04-10-2006, 09:21 PM

Thanks,
-Bryan

You sure you're not pulling hard the 2nd 1/8 because it's knocking like crazy and pulling timing? You may be faster at 13-14 psi if it's knock free than you are at 16 psi if it is knocking.

BadAssPerformance
04-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Actually, Paul used a custom cal-

Paul went 12.65 on a stock '89 SMEC... stock 149,000 mile long block...

Record as of 6/6/00 is 12.65 seconds!

went 12's again a couple years later with Maxons or someones cal...

Dave
04-11-2006, 08:32 AM
You sure you're not pulling hard the 2nd 1/8 because it's knocking like crazy and pulling timing? You may be faster at 13-14 psi if it's knock free than you are at 16 psi if it is knocking.

That's the best suggestion I've heard yet. I mean it's not dying on power. Just last night I blasted it in 2nd gear doing 50mph and it torque-steered all over the lanes all the way 'til 3rd gear. The power is there. I think the slicks just made me walk on the track which basically made it longer, which made me slower.

The only way to really find out if it's pulling timing is to hook up a scanner to it.

I'll be buying a DD A/F gauge, install the +20's and the AFPR and tune it with the scanner. If I don't see 13's then, then I'll slap that Stage 3 in it.

But Cindy did say make sure I get the A/F gauge in first, then the bigger fuel, and then the computer. So I'm listening to her.

GLHSKEN
04-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Almost EVERYONE who has gone faster than 14 seconds initially used a stock cal, nore fuel and more boost. Heck, that even goes for most of the folks that break 12's

Dave
04-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Almost EVERYONE who has gone faster than 14 seconds initially used a stock cal, nore fuel and more boost. Heck, that even goes for most of the folks that break 12's

I just see a computer as an easy way to go faster. Chuckles said he reported 5/10 taken off the 1/4 after he installed the S3 computer on the mini van.

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2006, 11:06 AM

Yep, still faster on my old stock engine and computer. Might have to go back to the stock comp and see what happens, just for sh*ts and giggles :eyebrows:

mw6886
04-11-2006, 12:03 PM
I went 12.98 on +20s with a 5th and a GLHS Stage II.
AFPR, 255l pump, G-Valve, Kens big a$$ slicks, and 2 1/4" exhaust.

BadAssPerformance
04-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Yep, still faster on my old stock engine and computer. Might have to go back to the stock comp and see what happens, just for sh*ts and giggles :eyebrows:

Good idea.

GLHSKEN
04-11-2006, 12:32 PM
I went 12.98 on +20s with a 5th and a GLHS Stage II.
AFPR, 255l pump, G-Valve, Kens big a$$ slicks, and 2 1/4" exhaust.

LOL 12.85 @ 109.7 with glhs Stage II +20's and an open 3" downpipe. What's that old saying about these cars???

Stock is TRICK

BadAssPerformance
04-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Yep, all the cars in Chicago are Stock... :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2006, 12:52 PM
LOL 12.85 @ 109.7 with glhs Stage II +20's and an open 3" downpipe. What's that old saying about these cars???

Stock is TRICK

But a Stage II computer isn't stock!!!!!!!!!!! :p

And you guys keep talking about L bodies, theres just no comparison over anything else, :eyebrows:

GLHSKEN
04-11-2006, 01:25 PM
BS... Stage II is a mass produced cal... not a custom cal. You can get MP cals for everycar as well. Simon... My car weighed 2600lbs race weight. What... dock me 2-3mph for 2-300lbs weight Bottom line... that would be a low 13 in any of the cars and a van would be a mid to low 13.

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2006, 01:38 PM
BS... Stage II is a mass produced cal... not a custom cal. You can get MP cals for everycar as well. Simon... My car weighed 2600lbs race weight. What... dock me 2-3mph for 2-300lbs weight Bottom line... that would be a low 13 in any of the cars and a van would be a mid to low 13.

Hahhahaa, buggin ya Ken, ;) But theortically, it is a modded cal. You had to buy it from MP and it didn't come STOCK with the car.

Van weighs 3450lbs with me in it and has more brickness than an Omni, :nod:

Not making excuses, I know I have issues, just working thru them.

Marcus86GLHS
04-11-2006, 03:00 PM
isnt one of the advantages of a well-made custom calibration the resulting improved engine reliability? i mean yeah you can throw in a $10 MBC and and cheap AFPR and get fantastic results, but, these custom cals do a good job managing the higher power levels with proper fuel and timing schedules.

or am i wrong on that?

when i decided to go above 14.7 psi on my car i abandoned over-the-counter cals and went to TU for a custom logic module, i feel this was a good investment. i'm not the fastest for sure (12.92) but i feel i have good engine reliability.

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Excellent point Marcus, I know for sure, that my setup with stock cal is too lean at part throttle, so the cal address that. I am just going for top end so for that, the stocker might be just fine. We will have to wait and see.

BadAssPerformance
04-11-2006, 04:13 PM
But a Stage II computer isn't stock!!!!!!!!!!! :p

And you guys keep talking about L bodies, theres just no comparison over anything else, :eyebrows:

L body? My T2 shadow has a FULL interior in it...

Stock short block, stock head, stock garret turbo, stock unported manifolds, MP stage 2 cal, 42 pph injectors, FM underdrive pulley, stock downpipe then 3" exhaust with muffler no cat, slicks on bogarts, grainger @ 19psi, only weight loss is A/C parts removed under the hood and power steering pump removed... consistent 1.8-9 60's and 13.00's all day long.

EDIT: I'll put a stock '87 LM in it next time at the track to see if it makes any difference... I doubt it considering neither the stock or MP cal care about anything over 15 psi!

BadAssPerformance
04-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Van weighs 3450lbs with me in it...

I think you found your problem right there... didja take the seats out?

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2006, 05:59 PM
EDIT: I'll put a stock '87 LM in it next time at the track to see if it makes any difference... I doubt it considering neither the stock or MP cal care about anything over 15 psi!

That would be very interesting, :thumb:

I think you found your problem right there... didja take the seats out?

Yep, I know but she has full interior, carpets, a/c etc. I take out the rear seats but other than that, thats what she weighs.

contraption22
04-11-2006, 06:23 PM
isnt one of the advantages of a well-made custom calibration the resulting improved engine reliability? i mean yeah you can throw in a $10 MBC and and cheap AFPR and get fantastic results, but, these custom cals do a good job managing the higher power levels with proper fuel and timing schedules.

or am i wrong on that?

when i decided to go above 14.7 psi on my car i abandoned over-the-counter cals and went to TU for a custom logic module, i feel this was a good investment. i'm not the fastest for sure (12.92) but i feel i have good engine reliability.

In theory you are correct. But in the first line of your post, you stated the big variable. Is the cal "well-made"?

JuXsA
04-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I have a stage3 in my car. When I had my mitsu, I was running 19psi, with a DSM IC, 2.5 exhaust, and a 55gph pump. Ran great. As long as you have an IC, your stock setup will handle 15psi no problem if its a mitsu. I would bet it would still be safe with a garret too. No need to spend the money on injectors or an FPR unless yours aren't working.