PDA

View Full Version : Back from track, problems taking off now

Dave
04-10-2006, 08:36 AM
While driving my Spirit around last night after racing all day on slicks, I noticed in 1st gear it shakes a little when taking off. Also maybe I'm just crazy but it seems almost harded to get it moving. Like, I have to give it more gas than before to move her.

Could I have possibly damaged some spyder gears?

It's not bad, just concerned with what "might have" happened.

It's a fresh 413 btw.

turbovanmanČ
04-10-2006, 11:32 AM
If it shakes and seems to take more gas, your forward-rear clutch could be damaged and slipping slightly. How does it shift?

Dave
04-11-2006, 08:37 AM
If it shakes and seems to take more gas, your forward-rear clutch could be damaged and slipping slightly. How does it shift?
Bangs the hell outta every gear still. Still lights up 2nd gear when I shift, even at 10psi at part throttle it'll bark 2nd. 3rd gear just shakes the body around, no barkage.

But it does shake a little when applying throttle in every gear. More in the lower gears.

I talked to Rob, he said it's probally nothing to worry about. It's a pretty solid tranny, 5 clutches and of course the RMVB. It's all pretty fresh. I don't see how slicks could damage clutches.

I did my burnout starting in 2nd gear, e-braked it, brake torqued it up to around 2,500 and got into it. Immediately hit the rev limiter (almost every time, this is how I did it for four passes), backpedalled it, and throttled it up and down for about 5 seconds, released the e-brake, felt it hook up, let out.

Could this procedure actually burn clutches? I'd think it would at most damage the diff.

Another question: Having 5 clutches, are they thinner than the 4 clutch pack setup?

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Funny you mention that, I damaged my diff or AB insert on Friday night also, I get a vibration taking off and it won't turn left properly. Tearing into my diff tonight, :(

91DSX
04-11-2006, 11:40 AM
I had almost the same experience last year but with a 5-spd! It shook A LOT in first gear taking off from a dead stop and required more feathering/gas to get it to move forward, all other gears even downshifting to first was fine?

Phreakish
04-12-2006, 11:27 PM
off the wall, but what about the CV's? maybe something got loose or moved? Could cause some shakiness.

boost geek
04-13-2006, 12:42 AM
I had almost the same experience last year but with a 5-spd! It shook A LOT in first gear taking off from a dead stop and required more feathering/gas to get it to move forward, all other gears even downshifting to first was fine?
To me it sounds like it could be your clutch.

Dave
04-13-2006, 08:44 AM
off the wall, but what about the CV's? maybe something got loose or moved? Could cause some shakiness.

Good suggestion. I haven't done much with suspension, how would I check them?

91DSX
04-13-2006, 06:59 PM
To me it sounds like it could be your clutch.

Hope not, but a clutch is replaceable! It is a RP Stg II (T3 PP, 4-puck) with 1200km's on it!!!

Garret
04-14-2006, 10:35 AM
For auto's isn't it suggested you get it into 3rd before you come out of the burnout box?

As for the shuddering, sounds like the CVs are close to getting fried probably need some relubbing, because remember it's easy for an object in motion to stay in motion, and an object at rest resists change, so once they are up to speed they are fine, but getting them moving you're overcoming the resistance of non-greased/worn out CVs

Dave
04-14-2006, 11:56 AM
For auto's isn't it suggested you get it into 3rd before you come out of the burnout box?

As for the shuddering, sounds like the CVs are close to getting fried probably need some relubbing, because remember it's easy for an object in motion to stay in motion, and an object at rest resists change, so once they are up to speed they are fine, but getting them moving you're overcoming the resistance of non-greased/worn out CVs

Don't I have to take the boots out to add grease?

Turbodave
04-14-2006, 12:14 PM
I've seen vibrations under load caused by worn out inner CV joints, I've never tried to fix them, just swapped them out for good ones.

turbovanmanČ
04-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Yep, I didn't even think of that, the inner cv joint could be worn out. I have seen that numerous times. No repack needed, just replace the shaft.

shadow88
04-14-2006, 08:38 PM
C/V shafts could be the problem, but I've done something like this too.

After a "very" aggressive drive to show off to a buddy, mine shook too. More at medium to heavy throttle, My findings- sheared off bolt that attached through the front mount, through the block and into the tranny. This caused the engine to swing a fair bit and left tell-tale scrape marks on the front mount bracket.
It's now just nut-and-bolted together. my$.02

Dave
04-14-2006, 11:47 PM
C/V shafts could be the problem, but I've done something like this too.

After a "very" aggressive drive to show off to a buddy, mine shook too. More at medium to heavy throttle, My findings- sheared off bolt that attached through the front mount, through the block and into the tranny. This caused the engine to swing a fair bit and left tell-tale scrape marks on the front mount bracket.
It's now just nut-and-bolted together. my$.02

Weird that you said that, I found one of the top 18mm bolts hanging off the bell housing. I haven't drove it since replacing it. But I will be putting her in the air and checking all the bolts. Good advice.