PDA

View Full Version : Putting engine in this weekend...

shelbyES
02-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Is there any tips I need to know(i.e. what parts need to go on and what can go on later) about before putting the engine in, I'm going in through the top.
I've never set an engine in before.

I have a TU hybrid header but I don't have the turbo flange gasket yet so I can put the turbo on later without to much hassel? Should I wait for the gasket?
I also have to search for the engine mount bolts can anyone tell me what they look like other than its a big bolt. I got the car without an engine in it and a big square metal pan full of nuts and bolts.

I was suppoesd to have help from my friend I bought it from but he's being an a**hole about helping me even though I helped him rebuild his audi from top to bottom. I've had quite a bit of help from my best bud but he's never worked on these cars before either but we'er doing pretty good!

Any help would be appreciated! I would like have it road ready for summer! Curt:thumb:

JohnnyIroc
02-12-2009, 11:32 PM
im going to do the same this spring:thumb:

slasky
02-12-2009, 11:40 PM
There is no gasket between the turbo and header.

shelbyES
02-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks! now that i know that I will get started with putting that on! Boy do I feel stupid. Would probly know that if I had taken the car apart myself. Bought the car in pieces.:confused2:

slasky
02-12-2009, 11:57 PM
You can smear a very thin layer of grease to help it seal. Keep it away from the inside edge. You don't want it to squeeze out into the inside or it will harden up, flake off and go through the turbo.

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2009, 04:04 AM
You can get a gasket but no one runs them. Due to the turbo being moved over, I would consider leaving it off, it will give you more room and the reason for the header is simple turbo re and re, :thumb:

shelbyES
02-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the tips! Keep'em coming if you guys think of anything else.:thumb:

t3rse
02-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Which engine mount bolts are you referring to? I probably have a full set laying around somewhere....

shelbyES
02-14-2009, 04:42 PM
All of them.:p

shelbyES
02-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Engine is in!!!:D

JohnnyIroc
02-16-2009, 09:21 PM
get some updates on the status
and writing how did everything would be a great help:thumb:
i know i will need it probably a lot more too