PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coating ex parts

SpiritedShelbys
02-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm not looking for any performance gains here but I am trying extend the life of parts. I've got my VNT car apart and while it's out I'm making a decision about having the ex manifold and 02 elbow ceramic coated. My question is: will this make the turbo itself operate hotter or is ceramic coating really keep things cooler? It wasn't uncommon for the metal to glow red so I know it gets extremely HOT. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

"Top Fuel" Bender
02-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Glow red?
are you sure your timing is set correctly?

SpiritedShelbys
02-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Yep, VNT's are notorious for that. It's why the ex manifold has a higher nickel content. I've never had anything ceramic coated and want to make sure I'm either eliminating the heat or moving it in the right direction!

2.216VTurbo
02-12-2009, 02:31 PM
I used HPC coatings for my headers on the S car, they did a nice job but it can chip the black coating down to the underlayer if an impact or a wrench hits it. It really does make more power by delivering the heat (energy) to the turbo more effectively.

Small example that doesnt actually apply to turbo motors but what the heck... My Bro's and I have always been bike guys, Bro #1 is a Ducati guy and Bro #2 (the one building the turbo LaRampage:thumb:) is a Yamaha guy. #2 and I rode together all the time, me on my CBR 900RR and him on his YZF1000. His bike was always faster in a strait line than mine-but jst a little, 2-3 bike lengths by 130 or so. He then puled his stock exhaust out and wrapped it with the Thermo-Tec wrap stuff, reinstalled it and when we did the roll on contest again, he had me by 10+ bike lengths now:confused: Same result every time, his bike was much faster now! So was it better scavenging? Higher gas velocity? lower intake or cyl head temps? Dunno but it worked...

HPC advertises a 60% reduction in the surface temp of coated exhaust componants, even if thats a little generous that heat is staying inside the parts and going thru the turbo. I say do it if you can afford it.

turbovanmanČ
02-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I would do it, I had my 2000 GSXR 750 racebike done, stock engine but the pistons, bearings, full exhaust system were coated, it ran cooler and made more power this year and I could keep up with some bigger bikes, made more power out of the corners, they thought I built a cheater motor. You could also feel the exhaust didn't get as hot.

I have my turbine coated and my manifold was already coated, not sure on performance gains but anything to keep the heat in is a good thing in my book.

I used these guys, awesome service, tell them I sent you as they sponsor me, lol.

www.performancecoatings.com

SpiritedShelbys
02-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Prices aren't that much for a 4-cyl factory ex mani and 02 housing. I figure while it's apart and if it really does work.. why not. Heat isn't a friend of the turbo as I understand it! I have no plans for this thing other than a fully functioning driver.. so why not!