PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Dye

Darkapollo
02-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Has anyone used fabric dye on TD seats?

Reason Im asking, I have a set of seats that Im going to swap into the CS, but they are maroon cloth, and I would like to dye them black.

Also, anyone know of any good place to get a replacement carpet?

BadAssPerformance
02-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Eeeew, that sounds scary

What color seats do you want? Turbodave has many different g-body seats in his boost barn and for the right price we can put them in the car if it has not shipped yet?

Darkapollo
02-12-2009, 12:46 AM
LOL, the car is in the parking lot, arrived on monday actually. DAS 2 days from there to here.
I want black seats.
Im not talking some spray on paint like dye, im taking REAL fabric dye

BadAssPerformance
02-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Doh! shoots that plan!

Real fabric dye... if it can dye the material, it can come off the material ;) already colored material is a pain to dye vs un-colored material

Darkapollo
02-12-2009, 01:07 AM
True, however, im going from a dark color to black, so it wont 'come off' as easily.

tommyturbo
02-13-2009, 01:55 AM
If you want try this place sms auto fabrics, they had nos style fabric for my shelby z. They might have what your looking for if your willing to reupholster the seats. that would probably turn out the best in the long run over dyeing the fabric.
sms auto fabrics
info@smsautofabrics.com
www.smsautofabrics.com

Anonymous_User
02-13-2009, 01:58 AM
I think the dye would work great - if you use true dye. The type you boil in water. You'll need to pull the covers off the seats and put them in the boiling water/dye. I've used it on everything except car seats and it works excellent.

Mopar318
02-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Ive been doing upholstery since I got out of high school, and have never seen fabric die before, and probally for good reason.

Putting covers in boiling water is a BAD idea. Its going to break down the thread even quicker, and the foam will just soak up everything most likely leaving a huge mess.

Darkapollo
02-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Ive seen and used fabric dye plenty as a kid, you know when Tie-Dye shirts came back for that one year in the early 90's? And I have seen my mother use it on a lot of the things she has made over the years and they have held up fairly well..

I cant reupholster my seats myself, and ill be damned if i can afford to have someone else do it. For one there are some chunks of foam missing from the drivers seat, and for two my sewing ability ends with being able to fix minor rips.

daytonaturbo87
02-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Depends on the material, synthetic cloths will NOT accept dye. I tried to dye a synthetic cloth once, and yeah it turned nice and black when it was soaking wet in dye, but after when I rinsed it, the dye washed right off and the original color was completely untouched. It worked well on a set of seatbelts I did once though. Some TD seats are made out of some odd fabrics, so I don't know how well a dye would work. You would best grab a junkyard headres or seat bottom from your style seat and try it to see if the dye takes and holds.

BTW I used RIT fabric dye.

spoolinhard
02-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I have a spare set of 86 power leather seats that are in decent shape. They were in my Tona until I swapped to 91+ seats. I would imagine that shipping would probably sting.