PDA

View Full Version : One Piece vs. Two Piece

GLHS592
04-09-2006, 08:35 PM
I know this is one of those "beating a dead horse" topics. Presently, I have a one piece intake manifold with ported runners. It's also opened up for a 52 mm throttle body. I have done all the exhaust side mods along with a ported head, so I'd imagine that I have some room for improvement in the intake side.

I have another one piece intake that I have cut apart and shortened the runners. When I get the time, I will port the runners and weld on a larger "neck" to eliminated that stock tapered restrictive "neck".

I also have a couple two piece intakes. According to what I felt with my fingers, they don't have the same restriction of the one piece intake. It also looks easier to port the two piece. The only problem I can see is having to cut the vent drain off the bottom of my hood for clearance.

What should I do?
A. Current one piece
B. Modified/ported one piece
C. Ported two piece

Frank
04-10-2006, 08:22 PM
I would love to hear the ideas. With the delays for the custom LW intakes on TD, I think I am just going to get Steve M port me a two piece and then I will weld on a new neck using a 60mm turbo and throttle body for it. I would recommend you put on a new throttle body neck for your intake, which ever it might be.

Frank

Garret
04-10-2006, 08:35 PM
why not just take the bottom piece of a two piece and build a new 4inch plenum?

GLHS592
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
I've thought about that too. When are those aftermarket intakes going to hit the market?

shadow88
04-10-2006, 09:25 PM
I couldn't wait, so I made my own. It's in the fabrication bit under intake mods. It wasn't really that hard and it was the first thing like that that I ever made. Best of all, it was quite cheap.:thumb:

8valves
04-10-2006, 09:56 PM
I think the two piece ported out is capable of supporting most of the common TM setups that are directed towards lots of low end torque. For someone wanting some higher revs, a plenum re-design onto the two piece lower should be great.

If it helps anyone my super hogged out two piece upper has been for sale in the FS section for a while- guess what I went with? :)

Aaron Miller

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
I would say on a stock engine, both intakes are more than adequate due to the head being a restriction but once you open the head up, the intake becomes the cork. The one piece looks awfull when cut apart, the air has to do some serious twists and bends. I would stick with the 2piece and either port it or build a new upper plenum. Just look down the lower part, its like sewer pipe, :thumb:

John B
04-12-2006, 06:12 AM
I think I am just going to get Steve M port me a two piece k If you succeed in sweet-talking Steve into porting your two-piece see if he'll do two of them!:eyebrows: