PDA

View Full Version : No oil to top end of 2.5 turbo?

Clay
02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Local guy just called me and said that he didnt have any oil to the top end of a 2.5L turbo. Im trying to think what could cause that, but Im coming up empty.

Is there anything specific to look for that would prevent oil getting to the top end? Im thinking something has to be backwards or a wrong part installed somewhere.

thoughts?

thanks,
clay

turbovanmanČ
02-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Did he have the head off recently? If so, I bet the oil galley/restrictor is plugged. If he has no oil to the top, and the galley is ok, then he has no oil to the bearings too, then its an oil pump issue.

Directconnection
02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Need more info as maybe he *thinks* he doesn't have any oil to the top end.

Ex: just installed rebuilt head after sitting for a long time and has a few lifters not pumping up (happened to me once) I never soaked mine, just let them sit. but for months they bled down and must have gotten airbound somehow. After it idling and running on 3 cylinders, did I start revving the snot out of it and a;ll was fine.

Or... he replaced used cam/follower/lifters that are bad and they clack. Pop the oil cap off and don't see any oil because of the curtain thingy on the cam towers.

Clay
02-09-2009, 07:32 PM
ok, good info. I know I need to ask more questions, just not sure what questions to ask ;)

thanks guys.

Directconnection
02-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Just ask him "why" he thinks it's not getting any oil. What does he think is wrong? What work did he do recently, etc...