PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 rods with 2.4 pistons, what wrist pin bushing?

TurbododgePirate
02-09-2009, 04:06 PM
I have a nice set of balanced ARP hardwared 2.5 rods that I am using on my 2.4 build. The machine shop ordered JE 2.4 turbo pistons, and apparently the wrist pin size is different. They said they'll have to make the bushings, is there anywhere I can get the bushings more easily?

rbryant
02-09-2009, 04:11 PM
They probably have to be made because the stock TII rods are .901 and the stock SRT4 piston is something like .866.

Why didn't the machine shop order the JE pistons with a .901 or .910 pin? I am sure that JE offers different pin sizes because Venolia and Weisco do.

If they already had the rods they should have known what pin size to order and gotten the right thing. If they didn't then you shouldn't have to pay for them to make custom bushings....

-Rich

TurbododgePirate
02-09-2009, 04:45 PM
They probably have to be made because the stock TII rods are .901 and the stock SRT4 piston is something like .866.

Why didn't the machine shop order the JE pistons with a .901 or .910 pin? I am sure that JE offers different pin sizes because Venolia and Weisco do.

If they already had the rods they should have known what pin size to order and gotten the right thing. If they didn't then you shouldn't have to pay for them to make custom bushings....

-Rich

They did it because I am dumb. I told them it was the same thing and plenty of people were using the 2.4 pistons on the 2.5 rods with no problems. The block has already been bored and honed to each piston. I don't know if they can send them back or not.

Thanks for the input!

rbryant
02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
They did it because I am dumb. I told them it was the same thing and plenty of people were using the 2.4 pistons on the 2.5 rods with no problems. The block has already been bored and honed to each piston. I don't know if they can send them back or not.

Thanks for the input!

Yea I can see myself making the same mistake. :)

I would probably either make the bushings or buy some SRT4 rods and sell the TII ones.

This is one place that a press fit pin would be better because you could simply machine out the piston to take the larger pin in that case.

It might still be possible to machine the hole for a larger pin and recut the spiral lock groove on a mill.

That would still probably be more expensive than making the bushings though. :(

Good Luck!

-Rich

TurbododgePirate
02-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Yea I can see myself making the same mistake. :)

I would probably either make the bushings or buy some SRT4 rods and sell the TII ones.

This is one place that a press fit pin would be better because you could simply machine out the piston to take the larger pin in that case.

It might still be possible to machine the hole for a larger pin and recut the spiral lock groove on a mill.

That would still probably be more expensive than making the bushings though. :(

Good Luck!

-Rich

They guy said he could make the bushings pretty easy, but I may go search the forums for cheap SRT4 rods. Who knows, I might get lucky.

OnLooker
02-09-2009, 05:47 PM
There was a PT turbo guy that was redoing TII rods to use in converting n/a 2.4 to turbo use and this is the part number he gave me.

The Eagle part number is B927. That is the closest thing I have found. It is .927 OD and .865 ID and 1.05 long.

turbovanmanČ
02-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Just get some Eagle SRT rods, $300, :clap:

I wonder how the 2.4 pistons will work, as the pin height should be in a different spot due to different deck heights.

Directconnection
02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
We use Diamond bushings.... not sure if they are the same company as the piston manufacturer or not....

Having them make bushings is the 2nd best option, unless getting new Eagle SRT4 rods comes out close in pricing.

snoman
02-09-2009, 07:44 PM
weren't we having pretty much this same debate over ~~~~~~~~~~>

anyone ever decide how well this would work?
I wanted to drop a 2.0 in my 2.2 but never got time this weekend.

Please keep us posted on the bushing thing if you go that route
its always good to know the options if you ever need them

TurbododgePirate
03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Ended up getting a set of SRT rods for $50 Will sell the reconditioned balanced rods with ARP hardware next.

snoman
03-12-2009, 11:03 PM
interseted in the tii rods....
What do you want for them?