PDA

View Full Version : Steering Issues

bfarroo
02-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Went out to have another go at the ice races with the shadow. Went out for a few test runs and the car felt good. Started the first heat and about 4-5 laps in the steering started getting loose to the point that 1/4 turn of the steering wheel caused no steering change. I found the bolts for the rack just sitting in the holes like there is nothing to hold them in to the K frame. I haven't investigated any further on that mater as the K frame will probably need to come out to get the bolt holes re-welded. The other issue is the column is loose at the tilt section. Anyone ever have this happen before? It looks like I'm going to have to pull the wheel to get it sorted out. I checked the 2 nuts that hold the column up and they are tight, the play is right where the tilt is. LMK if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

mike mckay
02-09-2009, 05:19 PM
If you have the 88 Shadow I had the same thing happen. The welded nuts break loose and are tough to get up under the car. I changed up to the 90 model k frame. The bolts that hold the steering rack are bigger
and the nuts look better where they are welded. If you've got the time and you are beating on the car some I would go to the better k frame.
There are some bolts loose inside the steering column. Someone on here had a link as I used it to fix mine last month. If you can't find it I will look it up when I get home.

bfarroo
02-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I got the column issue fixed. There are two reverse torx bolts burried in the column down where it tilts. I had to take the wheel off along with the blinker bits and pieces, the ignition cylinder and another section of the column held in by three torx bolts to get to the damn things. Pulled the bolts out and put some red locktite on them. I'm in the process of fixing the steering rack issue. I'm going to try through bolting it. I cut a hole in the bottom of the K frame and picked up some grade 8 bolts to bolt it together. Should get the job done and I don't have to pull the K-frame to do it.