PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new S/D sensor?

Lee'sdaytona
04-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Hey everyone.
Back in September, I had an issue with the digital dash tach and speedo going crazy. Two problems were causing this: One, the loose ground on the fuel rail and two, the loose speed/distance sensor. The problem has been gone since October or so, but the speedometer started acting a bit crazy again. The grounds are still good and the SDS is still tight. When the speedo reads say, 20mph while stopped, the engine struggles to take off, I assume because the signals from the SDS to the computer is messing up the fuel/spark curve. SO, I am assuming the speed/distance sensor went out on me? I've never replaced it in the past 4 years of ownership, and I don't know if its ever been replaced.
thanks,
Lee

85_600
04-09-2006, 03:32 PM
I did this repair last year to fix a problem (wasn't it but that's another story :( ). At first I couldn't get the bolt off that holds it down. I went and bought a smaller wrench and viola! I got it off. When you remove the bolt holding it down, just pull up on the whole unit, after pulling off the electrical connection. The SDS I bought from Autozone was a Mopar part and it had two pig-tails with it. One of them was the one I needed.
For "me" to get to the plug end of the connection I had to actually climb on top of the engine and reach down towards the tranny/turbo area.

It sounds more complicated that it is. I had pics of my repair but they have since been deleted :( Sorry. I know you can order the SDS, the same one I bought, from FWD.

Good Luck and keep this updated. I may be able to help.

**OH** Before I forget: Don't get "right" under where the sensor is plugged into the tranny. When you pull it off tranny fluid comes out. Not alot but enough to make you go "WHOA". Then, it just dribbles out. You don't loose alot, maybe an ounce or 2.

Lee'sdaytona
04-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I should've mentioned that I've removed this part before, but never replaced it. :nod: I'm a bit weary to buy an autozone part, be it 'mopar' rebuilt or whatever. I haven't had luck with their alternators that are "mopar"/"bosch" rebuilds. Anyway, its good to know it comes with a new wire...I assume it doesn't need to be spliced in, rather it has a double ended plug connector?

I was planning on ordering driectly from Mopar, but if FWD sells a good one then I'll check that out
thanks guys!
-Lee

85_600
04-09-2006, 05:40 PM
After I found FWD Performance I noticed that they sell the same exact SDS that I bought at AZ. I felt a bit better about the purchase since I'm probably screwed on my O2 that I bought from AZ.

There are two pig tails that come with it. I guess there are two different types of connectors/plug that TD's came with. If one fit mine, and it did, and I have an 85 car, then it should fit yours, being a 87 and a "bit" newer than 21 years old :D

Once I bought the smaller wrench it was a snap to swap it out. The hardest part was swapping out the plug. I'm 6' and 215 lbs and I had to climb on top of the engine to reach down far enough to unplug it. Now THAT was a site :lol:

Lee'sdaytona
04-09-2006, 08:58 PM
so how much is the autozone one? I think the mopar one is $70 or $80 and if the AZ one is good, then I'll get that one.
Yeah, I'm 5'7, 140 pounds...so not too hard for me...hell I could probably fit between the rad and engine with the hood closed :lol:
-Lee

85_600
04-09-2006, 09:52 PM
so how much is the autozone one? I think the mopar one is $70 or $80 and if the AZ one is good, then I'll get that one.
Yeah, I'm 5'7, 140 pounds...so not too hard for me...hell I could probably fit between the rad and engine with the hood closed :lol:
-Lee

My bad - Not AZ but Advanced Auto. Rounding up the pennies = $50 - BUT, I can't find it for a 87 Daytona Pacifica, only the 85 600?? You'd think it would be the other way around...:confused:
You might want to see if they are one in the same. Mine was for a 85 Dodge 600 with the A-413 tranny, if that helps.

Lee'sdaytona
04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Yeah I don't think the year matters, but I would think the tranny type would. I have an A-520....
-Lee

Lee'sdaytona
04-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Well I put a new Mopar SDS in there and the speedo problem is solved...but a new problem has arose. I have a post about it..."New Problems!" in this section...