PDA

View Full Version : bit of a strange request...

89daytonacs
02-06-2009, 12:12 AM
alright, last summer i replaced the main and rod bearings on my 89 2.5 shortblock. this is the first time ive changed bearings on this engine. my question is, are all of the bearings identical (obviously the mains, thrust, and rods are different) meaning, are all of the tabs the same with the same relation to the oil feed? im just kind of nervous that i might have messed up and blocked an oil feed hole, but i was sure i did it right at the time. if anyone has any bearings lying around, has a new package theyre about to install, or knows for sure if theyre the same and unmessupable the knowledge would be greatly appreciated. thanks

also, in case anyone is wondering i havent installed this engine yet

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2009, 12:29 AM
As long as you put the tangs of the bearings into the notches on the caps and block/rods, your gold. Did you plastiguage? did you put the thrust bearing in the right place and realign the cap for that bearing?

89daytonacs
02-06-2009, 07:12 PM
yea the tangs are definately in the right place. i probably should have plastigaged it, but didnt. what do you mean realign the thrust bearing cap? i definately put it back into the same place it came from and then just torqued the cap down.

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2009, 07:41 PM
yea the tangs are definately in the right place. i probably should have plastigaged it, but didnt. what do you mean realign the thrust bearing cap? i definately put it back into the same place it came from and then just torqued the cap down.

Tighten the cap to aprox 5 ft/lbs, pry the crank forward, then backward, torque to spec. This aligns the flanges.

89daytonacs
02-06-2009, 10:47 PM
oh wow, didnt know about that. you mean pry it side to side longways or up and down shortways?

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2009, 01:19 AM
oh wow, didnt know about that. you mean pry it side to side longways or up and down shortways?

Front to back, your forcing the thrust bearing square with each other.

89daytonacs
02-07-2009, 01:26 AM
um ok. front to back is longways yes? :o gets confusing with transverse engines

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2009, 01:27 AM
um ok. front to back is longways yes? :o gets confusing with transverse engines

Front to back always means front of crank, IE timing belt, to rear, IE flywheel, ;)

89daytonacs
02-07-2009, 04:35 AM
beauty, thats what i thought. i always get thrown off being that its mounted sideways, and the "chrysler turbo" is oriented to be read straight ahead but sideways to the engine. some people say the side is the front some the front is the side :confused: anyways, thanks, i thought i did it all right, so itll save me from rolling out all of those bearings to recheck em, ill just loosen off the thrust cap and pry the crank a bit