PDA

View Full Version : so i've been thinking 16v...how too's

TurboII
02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
So i been doing research about cams on a 8v and everyone says turbo cams are best for stock setups because of the corky head design. so i wonder what are you guys doing to dohc these cars? what head are you using? ecu? how much work is involed? what is needed? and is it really that much better in ovarall performance? driveability? reliabilty? cost? (not worryed so much, no looking back now)

Just want to know and have into consideration what your thoughts are. what i want is a 2.5 common block with a nasty dohc head design.

Joey

shelbyplaya
02-04-2009, 12:30 AM
driveability and fuel economy with a stock computer went up alot. the car is just 100 time better to drive with my 2.5l hybrid.

My head is 100% stock.

Anonymous_User
02-04-2009, 02:04 AM
There is a lot of information on the swap to a Neon DOHC head. It can be done fairly easy, depending on your definition of easy. However, after seeing the SRT blocks, if I hadn't started collecting parts for the conversion, I would have simply went with a complete SRT engine.

You want nasty 16V? Look at the originator of the hybrid engine, Brian Slowe. 9 second 1/4 miles. :drool:

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2009, 02:08 AM
They alot of work, and require some fabbing, but the gains I feel are worth it, :nod:

Austrian Dodge
02-04-2009, 03:55 AM
first decide if you wanna make a hybrid setup or a complete 2.4 swap...

you can go the "easy" route, purchase a complete srt4 engine, and just worry about engine mounts and electronics.

or you go the 2.2/2.5 block with DOHC head route...imho more fabbing involved but with less headache about electronics and motor mounts

TurboII
02-04-2009, 12:05 PM
when you say mods what do you mean by that?

definitely want a hybrid since i already have a fresh 2.5 bottom end. i know some mods involve oil restricter, etc. but for me that easy. the main concern for me is clearance from deck to block, what HG to use, belt, valves, springs etc to use. that for me is my concern.

Joey

Austrian Dodge
02-04-2009, 02:35 PM
you need to use the 2.4 dohc headgasket
a nissan maxima timing belt (note sure which one), TBI tensioneer
i recommend using SS valves on the 2.0/2.4 head
you can use the stock valve springs (the more aggressive the cam gets, the stiffer springs)

there's a lot more, but it doesn't come out of my head right now.
hopefully some people who already have done the swap will chime in

JuXsA
02-04-2009, 02:52 PM
check out my website
www.juxsa.com
I think its under cars and then under 16v hybrid or some thing like that

shelbyplaya
02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
your gonna be walking a fine line useing 8v pistons. you have to drill and tap the block so you can have atleast 2 oil returns off the head. i strongly recoment NOT draining back into the oil pan, I've been having issues with my head not draining fast enough at high revs.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4707/1721/24265860074_large.jpg
my 'new' set up my oil returns will be on the bottum of the block it's self.
the other issue is the exhaust manifold and down pipe. If you looking to ease you can just get a mexican stratus turbo manifold but then you'll have to stick with an internal waste gate. the other issue is a custom down pipe. I keeped mine pretty simple. I used one U/J bend.

here's a pic of my turbo placment and the start of my DP.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4707/1721/24265860056_large.jpg
I did have to trim a bit off my trans to make it fit. My new manifold the turbo wont be on such an angle. thats a 57trim T3.T4 w/ stage 2 .63 turbine.

The swap it's self is pretty easy. some things are pretty expencive but other things are pretty cheap. My car layed down 225whp and 325wtq on 14psi and a stodck T3 w/ .63 turbine. The only thing that makes my car not verry driveable on the street is the clutch set up i'm running.

The power band is looooong, I was reving up to 7000rpm and it was still making power (after a cam adjustment).

hope this helps you in your quest.

1985ShlbyChrger
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm running an obx header for an srt4 on my stratus head. Had to grind the top corner bolt tabs off to clear my head drains. I have my drains into the oil pan, but mine drain right below the oil pan rail. Ill post some pics when I get off work. Clears the axle perfectly. Ill post up pics of my whole setup and how I did things, mine may be slightly different from others.

snoman
02-04-2009, 11:49 PM
as much as I like tm td forums have a little more info, unfortunqtly many of the set by step sites ar gone or crashed....

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f48/108991-useful-links-web-sites-sticky-below.html
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f48/76158-general-information-parts-list-threads-16v.html

sorry for being a traitor but it has good info just have to sort thru the down pages
i'll add more off my faves and pics I have mooched if you need more ideas on something
maybe we can get enough here to sticky or add to the KC.

whywoody
02-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Some info here on my budget build,may or may not be useful for you.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2137502

It's still alive and used near daily.

turbovanmanČ
02-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Some info here on my budget build,may or may not be useful for you.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2137502

It's still alive and used near daily.

You take the cake for ultra low budget, :D

glhs0426
02-14-2009, 11:48 PM
If you are planning on using the '01 or newer rectangular exhaust port head, get in touch with Lonewolf Performance. I sent Wallace a cylinder head to port, cut up, and generally abuse over a year ago. In return he has found some killer velocity, outstanding flow at low lift, and incredible flow at high lift with STOCK valves. He wants me to upgrade the exhaust valves to the aftermarket +2mm exhaust valve (it's +1mm for early heads). I'm cheap, so, I may just stick with the tiny late model turbo exhaust valves I already have on hand.

For camshafts a friend and I have had 2.0L and 2.4L cams reground by a local grinder. The 2.4L reginds are very strong in the low and mid range with a stock 2.4L turbo motor and stock turbo. We have not tried the 2.0L regrinds. He is having too much fun in a gold '00 Neon with an automatic.

Specs are as follows:

2.4L regrind Int/Exh 264/259 adv. 205/200@.050" .375"/.326" lift

2.0L regrind Int/Exh 275/272 adv. 223/221@.050" .400"/.350" lift

John

mboyek
02-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Just want to know and have into consideration what your thoughts are. what i want is a 2.5 common block with a nasty dohc head design.

Joey

I'm gonna go ahead and say it is hard to do.

If you are getting the block decked after you put the plugs in, your pretty much going to do a full rebuild. JB weld does work, but some people don't think its "finished" properly. Little things have to be fabbed and bought. I pretty much did it all without the ability to weld. I can weld now and would do a few things differently.

I'm pretty sure I re-used the 2.5 timing belt tensioner, couldn't get the tbi unit to work.

So your (most likely) doing a full engine rebuild, you have to make and fab a few parts. Certain things like the timing belt setup have to be done perfectly. If doing it again I would rebuild a 2.4 with the turbo bits and only have to fab mounts. You can even buy the cam/dist adapter.

That's my opinion. Its far from impossible but not easy. Its great if you need a challenge or enjoy tinkering endlessly (like I do). The hybrids started brewing pre-srt4 stuff. srt-4 stuff is everywhere so that's the direction I would choose. I think you do need a DOHC turbo. :thumb:

glhs0426
02-15-2009, 10:24 AM
here's a pic of my turbo placment and the start of my DP.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4707/1721/24265860056_large.jpg
I did have to trim a bit off my trans to make it fit. My new manifold the turbo wont be on such an angle. thats a 57trim T3.T4 w/ stage 2 .63 turbine.

The swap it's self is pretty easy. some things are pretty expencive but other things are pretty cheap. My car layed down 225whp and 325wtq on 14psi and a stodck T3 w/ .63 turbine. The only thing that makes my car not verry driveable on the street is the clutch set up i'm running.

The power band is looooong, I was reving up to 7000rpm and it was still making power (after a cam adjustment).

hope this helps you in your quest.

Where did you find the manifold kit? I've been looking but can't seem to find one.

John

shelbyplaya
02-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Where did you find the manifold kit? I've been looking but can't seem to find one.

John

Made it my self. Bought a 1g 16v DOHC flange, T3 turbo flange and the sched 40 T's and 2 90s....

t3rse
02-15-2009, 04:28 PM
after putting a 2.4 in...I think a hybrid would be easier...no custom motor mounts and easier to service when completed

mboyek
02-15-2009, 06:51 PM
after putting a 2.4 in...I think a hybrid would be easier...no custom motor mounts and easier to service when completed

:D :thumb:

JuXsA
02-15-2009, 09:31 PM
OZSpeed was the 2nd or third guy to do a 16v hybrid and he said if he was going to do it again, he would have just dropped a 2.4 srt4 motor in. They are just built better and stronger.