PDA

View Full Version : TI to TII conversion

89t2baron
04-08-2006, 03:51 PM
i have a t2 lebaron which i have believed to have developed a bottom end problem. now i can get my hands on a decent 85 glht omni for a great price. possibly cheaper than getting my lebaron in good running order. now i would want to convert the 2.2 TI in the omni to TII status. how hard would the conversion be and what all would need to be converted. what problems may i come across. would the tranny in the omni be adequate for the power i could make with the TII garret, or should i swap in the a555 from my lebaron while i'm at it. any help would be appreciated.

85_600
04-08-2006, 07:20 PM
i have a t2 lebaron which i have believed to have developed a bottom end problem. now i can get my hands on a decent 85 glht omni for a great price. possibly cheaper than getting my lebaron in good running order. now i would want to convert the 2.2 TI in the omni to TII status. how hard would the conversion be and what all would need to be converted. what problems may i come across. would the tranny in the omni be adequate for the power i could make with the TII garret, or should i swap in the a555 from my lebaron while i'm at it. any help would be appreciated.

I'll be doing this same conversion in a few months. I've found the "best" resource to be: www.thedodgegarage.com Click on the "Turbo Database" on the left side menu. Just start reading. When you're done, re-read it. I've done this and I'm STILL re-reading parts that were not clear to me. I was deathly afraid of the wiring portion of the conversion. The portion about the AIS/TPS. I just read it over and over and then finally, one day THIS happened:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3244

LOL!! It just "dawned" on me just how easy this is.

Also, don't be afraid to post up what YOU may think is a dumb question. The only dumb question there is, is one that is not asked :thumb:

And another also, I'm not sure how Turbododge.com is taken around here but, there is ALOT of useful info over there as well. If, after searching here, you have not found your answer, try searching there as well. I've found a ton of answers at TD.com and didn't have to ask here. Both of these sites kind of go hand in hand, very useful info on both sites.

Hope that helps and, if you have not converted by August, or sooner (I hope) then just watch for my posts to start increasing then - that's when I'm starting and I'm "notorious" for asking stupid little questions. :o

mark
04-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I am mid conversion. and so far havent had any real problems. never hesitate to post questions.

grim
04-08-2006, 08:41 PM
http://fwdmopar.50megs.com/T2conv.html
this is a good one to explains alot ,i just did my 85 glh

billy

89t2baron
04-09-2006, 11:27 PM
thanks guys. i've always wanted an omni and now i have my chance to get one and i'd love to convert it to t2 status and just have fun with it. quick question, with a 2.2 t1 omni what can i grainger the boost to without running into problems, and what kind of performance can i expect with ~14lbs, exhaust, and maybe a few other things to keep me happy while i get ready for the t2.

85_600
04-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Not meaning to hijack the thread but, since it's related to the T2 conversion...

I've got the '85 600 with the ONE wire sensor. Should I upgrade to the 3 wire or 4 wire while I'm converting?

Thanks,
Paul

mw6886
04-11-2006, 11:58 AM
There should not be any question about upgrading the O2. If you can - do it. Your computer will love you for it.

tryingbe
04-11-2006, 01:59 PM
A555 with chrome plate or better tranny.

Clay
04-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Not meaning to hijack the thread but, since it's related to the T2 conversion...

I've got the '85 600 with the ONE wire sensor. Should I upgrade to the 3 wire or 4 wire while I'm converting?

Thanks,
Paul

Yup, definatley do!! Either one is good, but the 4 wire is a bit more expensive.

clay

85_600
04-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Cool! thanks, and now, back on to the topic at hand. This was 89t2baron's last post in this thread:

thanks guys. i've always wanted an omni and now i have my chance to get one and i'd love to convert it to t2 status and just have fun with it. quick question, with a 2.2 t1 omni what can i grainger the boost to without running into problems, and what kind of performance can i expect with ~14lbs, exhaust, and maybe a few other things to keep me happy while i get ready for the t2.

89t2baron
04-13-2006, 02:25 PM
what are the limits of the t1's internals? how much boost could i run without damaging it? i'm sure heat will be an issue but at what point?

85_600
04-13-2006, 04:05 PM
what are the limits of the t1's internals? how much boost could i run without damaging it? i'm sure heat will be an issue but at what point?

Take a gander here:
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_shortblock.html

I was asking the same questions. As far as mine goes, being an 85 T1, except for my compression/piston problem, I shouldn't have any trouble seeing the hp levels I'd like to see (~200). My only weak spot after I get my engine problems fixed will be the tranny - early style A-413. I'm just going to keep the boost down some until next year when I can beef it up some.

Don't get the wrong idea about me posting the link up there. I have been ALL over TheDodgeGarage site tooo many times to count. Things are FINALLY starting to sink in as to how to this or how to do that.

tryingbe
04-14-2006, 11:03 PM

Depend on how much high octane fuel you can give it.

89t2baron
04-16-2006, 07:22 PM
i'm talking about with stock injectors and pump 93 what would be the limit as to what it can adapt to with the stock ecu.