PDA

View Full Version : Manual Brakes

1985ShlbyChrger
01-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I have heard of some K based cars with manual brakes? I was thiking of converting to manual brakes as I like the pedal feel better. What would I have to do to convert my car to a manual brake setup? Its an 88 Reliant 4 door.

Anonymous_User
01-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Not sure on a K-car, but this is kinda related:

My V8 car has front disc brakes from a Grenada and rear disc brakes from the front of a '80 Malibu. These are run without a prop valve directly from a master cylinder out of an '88 Daytona w/4-wheel disc. There is no booster behind the m/c. I simply bolted the m/c to the firewall and ground the pushrod down to the proper length.

Car stops 10,000 times better than it did with the factory 4-wheel drums.

Given this, I would (will) try bolting the m/c directly to the firewall sans booster and adjusting the pivot point on the brake pedal until you have adequate 'power'.

daytonaturbo87
01-30-2009, 03:14 AM
My old 74 Dart had manual brakes and I did love the pedal feel. That car had front disc brakes and rear drums. I would definitely not bolt up just any master cylinder, I would for sure buy a master cylinder made for manual brakes. Summit sells Wilwood brand universal master cyilnders for manual brake systems for around 60 bucks. That gets you a nice new m/c not some old pos.

ShelGame
01-30-2009, 08:55 AM
The KC is your friend :thumb:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=71

Though, there were some early L-Bodies with manual brakes. If you could find one of those, you would not have to do the fabrication that I did...

1985ShlbyChrger
01-30-2009, 06:22 PM
But would those parts work for a k based car?

ShelGame
01-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Why not? They're all the same. Only the l-bodies are different...

mike mckay
01-31-2009, 09:53 AM
I've got a 69 Barracuda which I put front disc brakes on. The booster I put in with it was bad (parts from a junked car) so I pulled the vacuum hose off.. Instant manual brakes! I've been driving it like that for 10 years.