PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy - Stock Ring Set and Pistons.

85_600
04-08-2006, 12:45 AM
This is for a 1985 600 T1, 2.2L with the A-413 tranny. I'm looking for a decent priced set of rings and possibly 3 new pistons.

I have searched but have not found anything, yet, but I'm still searching...

OR...What is the best priced/decent set of forged pistons, and the ring set to go with them...If someone has a used set of forged pistons with the ring set I may be interested, but not for a couple months yet.

Thanks,
Paul

turbovanmanČ
04-08-2006, 03:08 AM
www.turbosunleashed.com for stock and forged.

Also, www.fwdperformance.com

GLHSKEN
04-08-2006, 09:00 AM
With an 85 engine, You more than likely have a G head on it. The pistons are dished less than the swirl pistons so replacing with swirl will mean lowering your compression a bit.

Also you need to consider the rods. The 85's are beefy, but press fit. Later pistons are not. When buying your pistons, you will need to take all this into account.

85_600
04-08-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm half tempted to buy the one stock piston that FWD has for sale. $20. As far as I know I only need one, but I won't know for sure until the head is off.

Next time I get to see my 600 I'll check on the casting number.

altered7151
04-08-2006, 11:41 AM
If you need some stock pistons let me know. I have an 85 turbo here with 3 good pistons. I'll make you a much better deal than 20 a piece.

turbovanmanČ
04-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Paul, if you keeping this car, buy 4 news ones, I would hate to see you replace just 3 or less and have a the remaining piston(s) fail in a days, weeks, months, :banghead: :censored:

85_600
04-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Paul, if you keeping this car, buy 4 news ones, I would hate to see you replace just 3 or less and have a the remaining piston(s) fail in a days, weeks, months, :banghead: :censored:

This thought had crossed my mind, hence why I asked about forged pistons. But, seeing that I'm not going to be pushing 20+ psi I'll just stick with the stockers for now.

BTW: Is there a swap guide somewhere that would show me what pistons would be ok to use with the 85 2.2 and the stock rods? I don't really want to have to add any more $$ to this if I don't have to. When I get a chance again I'm going to check the casting number on the head to see if I have the 287 one. I'm sure I do, just double checking.

Edit again: I'm pretty sure I can't use some other piston with the 85 rods. Different design from what I remember :o Oh well...

85_600
04-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Ok, I've been reading/searching some more. What Ken said about "taking this into consideration" - speaking about the pistons and the pins and such. So, what I have found is I'd need to take the piston/rods to a machine shop and have the pins removed. Would I need them to install them as well? (I'm guessing Yes)

Something else for me to consider is: Would it be easier/more cost efficient for me to just pick up a set of T2 rods and pistons? What affect would this have on matching the rods to the crank, if any?

(sometimes I hate reading too much):o

turbovanmanČ
04-08-2006, 09:53 PM
You need to know what head you have. If you have a swirl then T2 rods and pistons will be fine, if you have a G-head and use T2 pistons, your compression will be slightly lower. Not really a big deal as you have a light car.

85_600
04-08-2006, 10:02 PM
You need to know what head you have. If you have a swirl then T2 rods and pistons will be fine, if you have a G-head and use T2 pistons, your compression will be slightly lower. Not really a big deal as you have a light car.

Sooo, I'd be ok as far as using a different set of rods on the existing crank (depending on the cast number)? If so, you're STILL the man. If not, you're still the man - Heh, either way you win! :D

BTW: The casting number - That's right upfront on the head, right? If so I may just have my father go out and get it, since I don't know when I'll get to see the 600 next. It's a 45 minute drive for me one way.

89acclaim
04-08-2006, 10:51 PM
What does the chamber look like in the head, does it look like this one?
http://fueleconomytips.com/images/stories/somender/dez3.jpg

Or this one?

http://fueleconomytips.com/images/stories/somender/fbar3.jpg

Don't mind the grooves in the heads. The pictures are from http://www.fueleconomytips.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=43

Daniel Merrill

85_600
04-08-2006, 11:08 PM
What does the chamber look like in the head, does it look like this one?
http://fueleconomytips.com/images/stories/somender/dez3.jpg

Or this one?

http://fueleconomytips.com/images/stories/somender/fbar3.jpg

Don't mind the grooves in the heads. The pictures are from http://www.fueleconomytips.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=43

Daniel Merrill

Not sure yet. I'm starting on the conversion/ring job in a couple months:(

85_600
04-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Sort of an update:

Since work was rather boring last night (12hour shift) I found out that I can buy new pistons and rings, but no rods.:(

However, the pistons/rings I found are at either Advanced Auto or Rock Auto. Both I believe are the "Sealed Power" pistons and rings. I know to stay away from the "Hyper" pistons so that's not an issue. What's at stake here is: Is it ok to buy from either one of these places, as long as the brand name is Sealed Power? And, as it looks, I'll have to go to a machine shop to get the pistons swapped out (get the pins out to swap rods that is) - UNLESS, someone on here is in Northern Ohio and can do this for a few boxes of Girl Scout Cookies??:)

OR - If anyone has a decent set of pistons/rods from either an 85 turbo 2.2 or T2 pistons/rods - either one will work. Maybe something will work out where I will only have to install rings.

turbovanmanČ
04-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Sealed power are fine, I used those for 29psi, :thumb:

If your not really turning up the boost, the stock rods are fine, just get some new rod bolts from ARP.

20w/ashelby
04-12-2006, 02:09 PM
as far as rings go I just got a set of sealed power rings from advance and they were 51.xx with my student discount. I think 57 regualr which isn't bad at all

85_600
04-13-2006, 12:44 AM
as far as rings go I just got a set of sealed power rings from advance and they were 51.xx with my student discount. I think 57 regualr which isn't bad at all

I've found them from my local Advanced Auto for $52.99. It's a bit further East than Lima, but still in Ohio:D

Most, if not all the "minor rebuild" parts are small change. This is the list so far:

Gasket Set (Oil pan, head,T-stat) $37.00 TU
Gasket set (exhaust, intake) $5.00 TU
Bolts - Exhaust,Intake $28.00 TU/FWD
Piston(s) $34.99 RockAuto
Ring(s) set $52.99 Advanced Auto
Rod Bearings $25.00 TU

That's layed out in "Part" "Price" and "Bought From Where". So the total is $212.98 before tax. THAT is VERY do-able...it's the "other" stuff, the T2 conversion, that I'm having trouble doing. Sure I have the 1 piece, TB, fuel rail, exhaust manifold, BUT, I need injectors (~$130), FPR = ~$37, a MAP = ~$45, then there are things like the Vaccum Block from "Waramp" on TD, "New" oil and coolant lines, new vaccum lines, IC or IC/Rad combo, and then the muffler and pipes for an upgraded exhaust - OH, and less I forgot the every faithful "G" valve and the Dawes A/F gauge. I SOOOO want a WB but even with the discount price I posted about in the "Group Buy" section, I just can't do it...

If anyone sees some area's where I can "lessen" my dollar figures, by all means show me, PLEASE...

I am getting a LOT of stuff from 5sp mini Saturday. I'm headed over there in the morning to pick it up, so I'll better know what I will still need.