PDA

View Full Version : Separating intake halves

135sohc
01-28-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw a thread with this asked already but no amount of searching has found it.

How in the heck do you separate the upper/lower halves of a 2 piece ? :confused2:
the bolts came out no problem, got everything stripped off. But it is stuck together very well.

tried everything I can think of. the torch is coming out next

black86glhs
01-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I have taken a thin putty knife and gradually worked it in between the 2 pieces. I take a small hammer and gently tap it further in until I can either seperate them or can get something thicker in between to pry them apart. Something in the range of 2-4 inches wide works.

Sloride
01-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I have taken a thin putty knife and gradually worked it in between the 2 pieces. I take a small hammer and gently tap it further in until I can either seperate them or can get something thicker in between to pry them apart. Something in the range of 2-4 inches wide works.

lol...

I just took out the bolts, put it on the grass, put my foot on one end, and hit the other end with a rubber mallett.... kinda like chopping wood.....except different. :)

135sohc
01-29-2009, 12:08 AM
tried both of those methods and it didnt budge.
then tried standing on it and rocking back & forth, still didnt work (and I'm not a lightweight by any means)

So I found an old slotted screwdriver and the largest gap between the sections and pounded away. cracked apart on the 2nd blow

appears this one has never been taken apart before and still had its original factory gasket.

GLHNSLHT2
01-29-2009, 12:13 AM
I put my heels on the lower half, put a small 2x4 against the front of the plenum and hold with my left hand. Then I hit the 2x4 with a sledge hammer.

boost geek
01-29-2009, 01:39 AM
+1 to the sledge hammer...