PDA

View Full Version : SBR Exhaust Manifold?

ShadowBrad
04-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Came across this manifold that a race shop close by my house sells for the SRT-4. I should be starting to assemble everything into the car next week or the week after so I'm in need of an exhaust mani rather quickly.

Price is $299.00, they claim it to be good to 550whp although I'm not planning on making quite that much. Nor do I need the external gate.

You can read about it here. (http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=3845&)

http://www.slowboyracing.com/img/sbr%20srt%20manifold.jpg

ShadowBrad
04-08-2006, 02:36 AM
Or...I could build one similar to the one Russ built for his Omni for about $115...

Being the stereotypical "Cheap" td-er I am I think you know what I will have to opt for in this situation lol...:thumb:

But for those of you that dont want to spend a couple hours welding and grinding and such the manifold above could be an alternative to the Stratus R/T manifold that seems to be hard to find.

lancer402
04-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I could be wrong but I beleve this manifold is for the 2001 and later head which has a different exhaust port than the head prior to 2001.
Maybe someone else can verify this.
andy

dodge80_89
04-11-2006, 08:52 PM
I could be wrong but I beleve this manifold is for the 2001 and later head which has a different exhaust port than the head prior to 2001.
Maybe someone else can verify this.
andy

You would be correct. It's for the head with the square exhaust ports which is 2001+ heads.

Frank
04-16-2006, 05:31 PM
The better log ones are the Hahn Racecraft ones. I would recommend those as it looks much better in construction and it isnt externally wastegated, so you dont have to worry about exhaust gas reversion.

Frank

cams1021
05-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey I live right by SBR in Indiana!

ShadowBrad
05-19-2006, 11:44 PM
No sh!t? I'm in Rural Valley, about 20 minutes or so from Indiana. I have SBR's boost controller on my Shadow. I should have my 2.2 hybrid dropped in and wired by the end of the weekend. Cindy said the cam gears should be ready in a couple weeks or so, so I'm getting anxious.

BTW, do you happen to know Mike Dunn? He has a sweet red and black Turbo'ed Civic that lays down like 525hp.

Dave
05-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Can anyone find an exhaust manifold that Frank is talking about from Hahn's? I looked on their site and they don't list anything for the 420A's. I have a '96 Stratus motor ready to go.

Frank
05-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Talk to Modern Performance and see if they can aquire the manifold for you outside the kit.

Frank

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/hahn_turbo_manifold.jpg

DodgeZ
05-22-2006, 10:40 AM
I called them about that manifold a while ago. They acted like it was very strong manifold. I told them I was going to run a very heavy S200 turbo and was wondering if they can handle the weight with out support. He said it won't be a problem. He said it prolly wouldn't clear the firewall tho (srt4). He acted like the ATP one wasn't better. He said he has only seen one on a car and acted like fitment wasn't as good as theirs. The block off plates for the external wastegate are cheap.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-VSRT-007&Category_Code=VSRT

DodgeZ
05-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Talk to Modern Performance and see if they can aquire the manifold for you outside the kit.

Frank

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/hahn_turbo_manifold.jpg

What if you want to run a t3/t4 turbo. It isn't going to fit on that sucker.

Frank
05-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Good point!

The S is Silent
05-22-2006, 01:26 PM
That SBR manifold looks like a terrible design. I don't like where it is gated at all. When the wastegate opens, only 2 of the cylinders have a chance to get purged. The other two are forced to go through the turbine still. VERY unbalanced. Idealy, the wastegate should be between the turbo and all 4 cylinders.

I would only run that one with the external wastegate blocked off, using an internally gated turbo.

DodgeZ
05-22-2006, 01:49 PM
That SBR manifold looks like a terrible design. I don't like where it is gated at all. When the wastegate opens, only 2 of the cylinders have a chance to get purged. The other two are forced to go through the turbine still. VERY unbalanced. Idealy, the wastegate should be between the turbo and all 4 cylinders.

I would only run that one with the external wastegate blocked off, using an internally gated turbo.
I don't know there are a lot of guys running that and the atp manifold without any issues. Also think about a big turbo. They are hard to spool up with all 4 cylinders much less 2. Also think 38mm is 1.49 inches which is a lot bigger then stock. On are setups it going to be $hard$ to do it the right way.

Frank
05-22-2006, 01:52 PM
You both are very correct. I also dont like that manifold, but unless you are willing to shell out the money for a good custom, then you are stuck. I am thinking though that a spacer could be made for the Hahn....

Frank

DodgeZ
05-22-2006, 04:13 PM
You both are very correct. I also dont like that manifold, but unless you are willing to shell out the money for a good custom, then you are stuck. I am thinking though that a spacer could be made for the Hahn....

Frank

It would depend on your application. I think at local 2gen neon had one of there kits and the turbo was really small, like stock SRT4 size. It fit fine but I don’t think you could install a big turbo. If you space it out it going to hit the firewall. If you notice with the SBR and the ATP the housing it point almost straight up. That is because you can’t go back any farther with out hitting the firewall.

http://www.slowboyracing.com/img/SBR%20SRT4%20Turbo%20Kit.jpg

Look how close it is. It is hard to say how it will fit a Lbody or non Lbody. Dyno numbers are good for 19psi

http://www.slowboyracing.com/Newsletterinfo/srt4dynograph.jpg

Dave
05-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Yeh think the Hahn's will be able to support a Holset? I'm really not all too worried of slamming the firewall, I got an A-body, they're pretty spacious.

Looks like I'll be needing some tight elbows off the outlet of the compressor. It may be hard to plumb as the Holset's outlet will be close to the head. Is it possible to clock the compressor maybe?

I'm also concerned about the 4" downpipe clearing the PS pump. Any ideas for this?? I'm not even sure if a 4" will fit under my car. :thumb: I'm sure as hell gonna try though!

dodge80_89
05-23-2006, 12:38 AM

Not sure how terrible it is, but it's almost the exact same design as the ATP header, and I don't think anyone has issues with that one, the only thing different between the two is on the SBR manifold the turbo outlet is more centered between two exhaust ports instead of closer to one end.

DodgeZ
05-23-2006, 09:44 AM
photOOOoochop!!

DodgeZ
05-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Oh snap, I thought AGP used a tube style header. I was wrong and they sell it out side the kit.

http://agpturbo.com/product.php?productid=16289&cat=275&page=1

It is only 25 bucks more.

Frank
05-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Yah... the AGP, ATP, and SBR are all the same manifold. The Hahn could work well with the compressor housing roated properly and the flange modified so the turbo sits on top.

Frank

Dave
05-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Yah... the AGP, ATP, and SBR are all the same manifold. The Hahn could work well with the compressor housing roated properly and the flange modified so the turbo sits on top.

Frank

You mean fabbing the flange on top instead of in the back?

Frank
05-24-2006, 10:53 AM
yep...