PDA

View Full Version : 86' Lebaron Exhaust??

Dan15
01-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey i was wanting to put a 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust on my lebaron and I was wondering if any place made a kit that would just bolt on?? If not which ones are really close but need just a little adjustment? . . . . Oh and does anyone know where you can buy just the straight pipe and then bend it yourself??

chilort
01-28-2009, 07:33 PM
I built my own. Don't get me wrong, I like our vendors. I've done quite a bit of business with Cindy at FWD Perf and a little with Turbos Unleashed. Plus, I've purchased parts from some of our smaller vendors too. They provide great service to our niche industry. But for somethings, I think you can save quite a few bucks by doing it yourself.

I found a 2.5" down pipe on a car in a JY. I think I paid 8 bucks. It isn't something I see every day in the JY, but it was a substantial cost savings.

I then bought a couple of J pipes from Summit (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+309045+4294864577+115+42947917 38). I also purchased their el cheapo 2.5" cat since I still have to pass emissions here (and I did). A friend had a 2.5" Flow Master (that drones like crazy) that he gave me since he didn't need it. I got my straight 2.5" pieces, the 2.5" flanged pieces, and U-bolts from AuotZone.

I took the stock exhaust off the car. I set the pieces out on the ground and then fabed up a 2.5" version on the garage floor next to the original. I cut the stock mounts off the old exhaust and welded them onto my new exhaust. I even cut off the old turbo tip, polished it up, and welded it onto my new exhaust to give it a stock look.

I don't think I'll ever pay anyone to do exhaust work or buy a kit ever again.

turbovanmanČ
01-29-2009, 02:10 AM
I would buy the kit from TU or FWD, by the time you buy some mandrel bends, hangers, etc, spend hours on your back lining it up, welding, clamping, cutting, etc, you will have wasted more time and money than buying the kit. TU's come with hangers which is a better deal for home DIY'ers. You can't mandrel bend at home so if you buy pipe and use a regular bender, you crush it and then whats the point.

If its a daily driver, go with a 2.5 inch setup. Get a 2.5 inch DP from a wrecker or put an ad up for one here, then all you have to do is elongate the flange holes and it bolts right up.

chilort
01-29-2009, 07:06 PM
If you build it correctly, I don't see how you would spend any more time on your back with a homemade system versus a kit. In both cases you have to remove the old exhaust. In both cases you have to take time lining up the new exhaust. If you don't get it built right, then yes, you would spend time taking things back out and tweaking it to make it work.

The biggest saving does come from the down pipe. What our vendors want for a down pipe blows me away. Simon and I agree on something!

You also save some on the cat by going with Summit too. It isn't much but their makeup isn't quite as high. I also save on shipping from Summit too since I live less than 30 miles from a Summit outlet. When you shop in the Summit store you also get Summit bucks ($15 back for every $500 spent).

Honestly, I've been wary of our vendors' exhaust systems ever since the debacle a few years ago. I know it wasn't exactly their fault but it sure was a frustration for some. A friend of mine with a '92 Daytona was caught up in it all. I won't say who but one vendor essentially told him he was a moron if he couldn't install an exhaust. He drove to a dealership and let the dealership call the vendor back and tell them they were a moron because that exhaust would never fit. The 3" systems when they first came out weren't all too well thought out in come cases either.

If you've got access to the tools (a really good friend of mine has a mig, a chop saw, clamps, magnets, etc.) and any ability whatsoever, then doing your own exhaust is a relatively simple task for our cars. It took longer to make it then to pull it out of a box but if you include shipping time, doing it yourself is much quicker.

turbovanmanČ
01-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I agree to disagree, it depends on what skill you have, access to welders and such. I've built my own and bought FWD's kits and time wise, the kits are faster and easier. Now granted, the kits do take work but to me, even with my own hoist, welder, grinders, expanders, its still easier than from scratch.

Next time, I will try one of TU's kits as they have the hangers, which is half the battle of making it fit properly.

3 inch kits are very hard to route properly, except Minivans, :thumb:

Polygon
02-01-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm lazy, and can't weld. I had a shop put in a FWD kit for me and they did a perfect job and they were pretty cheap too. I just can't see any situation where making from scratch is faster than the kit.

Dan15
02-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Ok thanx for all the info . . . I'll have to look at all my options form the different suppliers and locally and see what will be cheapest/easiest!! Thanx for all the input.

turbovanmanČ
02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Ok thanx for all the info . . . I'll have to look at all my options form the different suppliers and locally and see what will be cheapest/easiest!! Thanx for all the input.

Honestly, being in the business, unless you know someone, your miles ahead buying a kit from the vendors, my last 2 cents, :eyebrows:

t3rse
02-06-2009, 03:58 PM
i've got a 2.5 dp I don't need :thumb:

funatic
02-07-2009, 01:33 AM
FUNATIC here could put that 2.5" dpwnpipe to good use. How much shipped to 93103 - Santa Barbara CA?

Thanks!

http://www.turbododge.com/dodge_pictures/files/2/0/7/1/8/funagle.jpg

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2009, 01:39 AM
FUNATIC here could put that 2.5" dpwnpipe to good use. How much shipped to 93103 - Santa Barbara CA?

Thanks!

http://www.turbododge.com/dodge_pictures/files/2/0/7/1/8/funagle.jpg

Hahhahahaa, sweet, :thumb: