PDA

View Full Version : Maddog Short Throw Shifters coming soon to Turbo-Mopar

Maddog
01-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Maddog STS (http://www.maddogsts.com/)

Hi, my name is Chuck Gregory. I'm the owner/builder of Maddog STS, which has been building short throw shifter assemblies for FWD Chrysler 5 spd cars since 2001, mostly 95-05 Neons and SRT4s. I have recently developed (with the help of another person) 2 prototype STSs for the reverse lock-out style shifter assemblies common in the earlier turbo and non-turbo Chrysler platforms.
You'll see me around the boards, mostly the Parts for Sale boards and Parts Wanted board, looking to buy stock shifter assemblies from the reverse lock-out equipped cars, and some of the later models, as interest warrants.
If you have any questions, or, if you have a stock shifter assembly you want to sell, please PM me, or send an email to chuck@maddogsts.com, or aclnes55@yahoo.com
The Maddog STS website doesn't have the RLO (reverse lock-out) STSs listed yet, but that will change soon. *Pricing will be in the $80-100 range, depending on the amount of fabrication required.*
Some site members that I recognize here that are past customers are JT from BadAssPerformance, TurboDave, and dodgeshadowchik.
Some of the other platforms that I build STSs for, in addition to the 95-05 Neons and SRT4s, are PT Cruiser (turbo and non-turbo), Stratus (4dr only) and Breeze, Spirit R/T, '90+ Daytona/Laser, 90-94 Shadow/Sundance, Chrysler mini-vans, and 89-91 Ford Taurus SHO.

Thank you for this opportunity - I look forward to working with many of you!

*Edit - pricing under pix

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/MaddogChuck/Short%20Throw%20Shifters/2RLO60X.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/MaddogChuck/Short%20Throw%20Shifters/1RLO60X.jpg

From my earlier description, you can see that the front of the now elevated upper assembly would contact the center console and boot by a margin of about 1".
I'll be fixing that next week, and it will be sent out to a member here that has already asked for it.

Price:
Price will be $85 plus a $30 refundable core charge and shipping.

I'll also trade finished STSs for complete stock assemblies. PM me if you're interested in a deal like that.

Since this is a somewhat introductory model, I'll send out the first 10 with free UPS shipping (to the lower 48); anything outside that, PM me w/your 10-20, and we'll figure out a fair substitute.

**UPDATE**

Options are as follows:

Rod:
Straight
Angled

Rod Length:
Stock height
Lower by 1"
Lower by 2"

Reverse Lock-out Release Mechanism:
Stock
T-handle

Dodge Aries K
01-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Dude, that's awesome. I have one of your shifters in my 97 Neon and it rules. Making a good old style shifter would be a godsend since they're not all that great and the reverse lock out thing loves to break. Once you get some finalized, post up some pictures because I am going to definitely need one for my Sundance in the future.

chilort
01-28-2009, 01:50 PM
OMFG! w00t! I want ten of them.... wait, just one, but I'm very happy about this.

Right now I feel like I row my car to work.

turbovanmanČ
01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Thats pretty cool, :thumb:

omni_840
01-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Patiently waiting for some pics and firm prices :)

Murphy
01-28-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm in!

BadAssPerformance
01-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Some site members that I recognize here that are past customers are JT from BadAssPerformance...

Welcome to T-M.com Chuck! :thumb:

Great products and great guy too! :clap:

mcsvt
01-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I'll be picking up at least one for my Sundance.

Can you explain the "Rod Brake"?

1984rampage
01-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Anything for the 525?

xdig
01-28-2009, 09:24 PM
I am interested in one for the SL. Post some pix and prices please.

BadAssPerformance
01-28-2009, 10:49 PM

The 'rod brake' option adds hard stops so the shifter rod is physically stopped so you dont over throw the gear... did I explain it right Chuck? :o

Anything for the 525?

I dont think he does, but somewhere Ihave drawings for the Husrt shifter for A525's :)

89ShelbyGuy
01-29-2009, 09:04 AM
I am down....kinda wanting a price though.and pics..i am just too lazy to make my own...

BIGBRUDDA
01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
I "converted" a Neon shifter coupla yrs ago for use on my 555. The cables are still kinda "soft".But it shifts great.
I did finally set a shift patern medallion in the knob. So not to confuse the valets and car wash guys.:confused:Anymore.:amen:

Maddog
01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Patiently waiting for some pics and firm prices :)

I am interested in one for the SL. Post some pix and prices please.

I am down....kinda wanting a price though.and pics..i am just too lazy to make my own...

I can have some pics up within the next few days. I still have the 1st RLO-60X (straight rod from Daytona) that was returned after testing. It is fully functional, except it interferes with reinstallation of the boot and console. The pass side cable end also makes slight contact with the frame on that side. It would work fine for a console-less track car. The 2nd RLO-60X (angled rod from Sundance) was modified to clear the boot and console, as well as the right lower shifter frame having been milled for clearence.

JT pretty much covered it. The brake plates are also adjustable. I haven't looked into setting up a Rod Brake for the RLO shifters. That is next on the list of things to work on.

Anything for the 525?
I know the "525" is a transmission model call out, but I don't know the differences between that, the 568, the 555, etc. Do they all use the same basic shifter assemblies? Also, if anyone can post (or link) what transmissions came on what models/years, that would be great, and very helpful.
I do know the Neon trannsmissions (NVG T-350 and it's variants), as well as those for the SRT4 and Stratus/Breeze, and what shifter assemblies they use.

The main thing I need right now is stock assemblies to work on/modify. I'll also take your current assembly to modify, and can have it back to you in 2-3 weeks.

Keep the questions and comments coming!

j4278h
01-29-2009, 11:36 AM
I have plenty of extra shifters from all years, what ones do you need specifically and I can see what I have.

Maybe 10-12 just sitting around in the shop somewhere

Maddog
01-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I have plenty of extra shifters from all years, what ones do you need specifically and I can see what I have.

Maybe 10-12 just sitting around in the shop somewhere

Can you send me pix? I'm guessing I would need just about all of them, as I would like to be covered on just about all models/years.

PM or email pix to chuck@maddogsts.com

Thanks!

moparfreak3
01-29-2009, 12:12 PM
You have a pm!

mario03SRT
01-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I'd like one for sure!

ikknown
01-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Ever thought about making a short throw shifter on a super tall elevation to make the shifter at steering wheel height? Kinda like a GT race.

Anyways the shifter looks awesome!

Maddog
01-31-2009, 01:02 AM
Ever thought about making a short throw shifter on a super tall elevation to make the shifter at steering wheel height? Kinda like a GT race.

Anyways the shifter looks awesome!

Actually, I did one for a guy out in Cali for an SRT4 canyon car. The rod ended up being 15.5" above the pivot, with a 2.5" lift and push, making the entire assembly 22.5" tall. That put the knob at about the 5 o'clock position in relation to the steering wheel. It was mad-goofy looking, but very functional. Throw reduction was around 55%.
If one had a race car that they didn't mind having extra holes through the fire wall, an elevated platform to mount the shifter on would work.

omni_840
01-31-2009, 01:28 AM
So if I sent you my shifter and a core I could get one for $55?

BadAssPerformance
01-31-2009, 10:52 AM

Looks like $85 plus core

Price:
Price will be $85 plus a $30 refundable core charge and shipping.

bradp
01-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Wow, now if I only had a stick car again. What a deal.

omni_840
01-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Looks like $85 plus core

I see, I guess I read it wrong:o

Maddog
01-31-2009, 02:33 PM

Actually, this is correct. By sending in two cores at once, you negate the $30 core charge with the first sent-in core, and get $30 credit towards the cost of the STS with the second sent-in core.
The only stipulation is that the 2 cores be the same platform that the STS is to be based on. For example, if you want an STS for an '89 Shadow, which is like the one pictured in post #1 (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33907), you would need to send two stock shifters from a Shadow (or a car model using the same shifter) that came with that style shifter. I can actually go deeper into the explanation if anyone is not understanding how it works.

JT, I understand your mistake. I've been wrangling these types of deals for so long, that my feeble little brain can actually grasp the concept within a rather short period of time (usually less than 24hrs), and spit out the correct answer ;)

moparfreak3
02-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Alright everybody man up and buy one I'm the first so I will post pics of the install.

mcsvt
02-04-2009, 12:31 PM
I've got to pull my shifter out, hopefully this weekend, car won't be moving for months anyway.

BadAssPerformance
02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
JT, I understand your mistake. I've been wrangling these types of deals for so long, that my feeble little brain can actually grasp the concept within a rather short period of time (usually less than 24hrs), and spit out the correct answer ;)

DOH! I read it as "shifter as a core" not "and" :o

dodgeshadowchik
02-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Alright everybody man up and buy one I'm the first so I will post pics of the install.

I have mine for 6 months now but the cars in pieces so it hasn't been installed

I will say you will not be disappointed he does very good work.

moparfreak3
02-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Oh cool I guess I'm just not as special as I thought I was. LOL

jonnymopar
02-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Hey all.

I have Chuck's prototype shifter in my Daytona and it is AWESOME. Daytime highs finally got out of the 30's last Sunday up here in New England, so I got a chance to put it to use. You will not be disappointed. If you've ever seen one of his Neon shifters, you know his craftsmanship is top-notch!

Maddog
02-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I have mine for 6 months now but the cars in pieces so it hasn't been installed

I will say you will not be disappointed he does very good work.

MB, yours is a bit different than the RLO shifters, but the geometry and concept is the same. Your STS is very much like a 1gn Neon STS.
Also, it's been about 49 weeks since you've had yours ;)

Oh cool I guess I'm just not as special as I thought I was. LOL
Kevin, you are still special. You do have the first Maddog RLO STS :nod:

Jon, thanks for the props! And, your help in developement and testing was great!:thumb:

Folks, Jon (jonnymopar) is the guy that makes the billet aluinum shifter base bushings for the 2nd gen Neons, SRT4s, and PT Cruisers! If you're in need of these pieces for your Neon/SRT4/PT, he's the one to see :)

moparfreak3
02-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Kevin, you are still special. You do have the first Maddog RLO STS :nod:

Well thanks Chuck im trying to motivate others to fork out some dough:eyebrows: which isn't easy these days :amen:

Sgt Craig
02-05-2009, 09:00 PM
And I have the only Minivan Maddog shifter. Its still working great Chuck!

Maddog
02-06-2009, 05:22 PM
And I have the only Minivan Maddog shifter. Its still working great Chuck!

Glad to hear that, Craig! Btw, sorry I couldn't make it down for your GTFO party - I had promised the wife an evening out, and I'd rather hurt your feelings than risk my life...:confused:

Seriously, how are things out east? Hope the move went well!

Kevin, your STS has shipped today - I'll be emailing you the DC number in a few minutes :thumb:

moparfreak3
02-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Woot Woot got my shifter its getting installed tonight!

moparfreak3
02-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Well here are some pictures. The install was simple and I just had to adjust my cables a little bit that way it would shift into all the gears. The throw is about 3" now between 1 and 2.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t27/moparfreak3/Hybrid%20pictures/IMG_0034.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t27/moparfreak3/Hybrid%20pictures/IMG_0036.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t27/moparfreak3/Hybrid%20pictures/IMG_0038.jpg

Maddog
02-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Looks good, except now I see I should paint the rod black, not silver. Wasn't sure how much was exposed.

Send me your core!

:wave1: :D

moparfreak3
02-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Looks good, except now I see I should paint the rod black, not silver. Wasn't sure how much was exposed.

Send me your core!

:wave1: :D

Yes sir, you will get your box back lol

blk86trbo
02-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Karl (Dodge Aries K) and I went yarding today, and he scored a Maddog STS from a 1st gen Neon! It even had new Booger Bushings in it :wow1:

It indeed appears to be constructed well.

Dodge Aries K
02-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah, that was sweet! I'll send you the number later Chuck. I didn't want it to die in the crusher so it's going to be going into a new Neon here sometime soon.

Maddog
02-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Wow, that's crazy! Any other goodies on that 1gn Neon?
Send me that number when you can - I'm curious to know who it belonged to...:confused2:

89ShelbyGuy
02-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Hey..i am just curious on if you had to modify the plate inwhich the shifter bolts too...the hole it goes threw....i see you used some spacers...was woundering if you ran into problems with the bottom of the shifter hitting, but it does look nice.. good work.

Maddog
02-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey..i am just curious on if you had to modify the plate inwhich the shifter bolts too...the hole it goes threw....i see you used some spacers...was woundering if you ran into problems with the bottom of the shifter hitting, but it does look nice.. good work.

I mill out the rectangular opening in the frame, if that is what you are referring to. Also, the pin to cable location is the same as stock. As long as the stock application doesn't contact the floor pan, it won't with the Maddog, either.

86trbolancer
02-20-2009, 03:10 PM
woot woot!!!!

i never saw this thread till today!!!

i'll be wanting one sometime in the next few months

Thanks for making custom parts!!!

-ryan

Maddog
03-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I have 5 complete cores to work with, now. I've also come up with some options for you to choose from when "designing" your Maddog STS:

Rod:
Straight
Angled

Rod Length:
Stock height
Lower by 1"
Lower by 2"

Stock
T-handle

mario03SRT
03-08-2009, 09:38 AM
I have 5 complete cores to work with, now. I've also come up with some options for you to choose from when "designing" your Maddog STS:

Rod:
Straight
Angled

Rod Length:
Stock height
Lower by 1"
Lower by 2"

Stock
T-handle

Is the pricing the same for each configuration? Any pics of the reverse T Handle?

Thanks,
Marion

Maddog
03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Is the pricing the same for each configuration? Any pics of the reverse T Handle?

Thanks,
Marion

Yes, pricing would be the same. No pics of the reverse T-handle yet - those will be forthcoming later this week.

Turbodave
07-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Just bumping an old thread.. Got the Maddog shifter installed in my 89 Shadow a few weeks ago and have had time to put a few miles on it. Huge improvement over stock!

Anyone who watched me go down the track at SDAC-20 and do a near endo when I shifted from 2nd to 1st knows I'm not the most talented guy when it comes to driving a stick..haha

I can pretty much guarantee that won't happen with the new shifter, the throws are nice and short, and it snaps right into 3rd like it should.

The install was easy, I had to align the cables, but even the factory alignment tool fits the modified shifter, so it was a breeze.

Once installed, it looks totally stock, just the way I like it.

Thanks Chuck!

J&H Ryan
07-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Dave: factory alignment tool? Tested the srt one at sdac, very impressive. I'm considering one if the pricing is still valid.

Juggy
07-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Dave: factory alignment tool?

I was about to ask the same thing, wtf?!?! never seen or heard of this. but I guess it makes sense for them to use something like this on the line when assembling the cars :)

Glmwpg
07-07-2011, 01:14 AM
A good thread.. Are these still available? I have a 568 transmission in my 92 Daytona IROC R/T.

J&H Ryan
08-14-2011, 11:08 PM
So, uh, is this no longer a product for our cars?

shackwrrr
08-14-2011, 11:44 PM
http://www.maddogsts.com/pricing.php

9 (http://www.maddogsts.com/pricing.php)0+ still listed, not sure about the 520/555 version

butchsuppe
08-15-2011, 12:37 AM
I've built 3 for the 555 trans, 1 for myself and 2 for other people at $80. + their old shifter. Yes I know the price is higher, but so are gas prices. Mine is pretty short and requires some effort to shift.

87blueshelbyz
08-15-2011, 06:57 AM
I have a madog 65-1 in my 87 daytona with the 555 trans. It is a major improvement over the stock shifter. Chuck also replaced my factory straight shifter rod with a angled shifter rod out of a shadow/duster.

banger68
08-15-2011, 12:13 PM
I was about to ask the same thing, wtf?!?! never seen or heard of this. but I guess it makes sense for them to use something like this on the line when assembling the cars :)

Most of my Daytonas have the tool attached at the bottom of the shifter. Just a plastic spacer with a small bolt.

54inches
08-15-2011, 03:06 PM
I am digging this and hoping this is still available, maybe on a trade in. :D

Turbodave
08-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Chuck is still doing shifters, but he's not on this forum very often. I'll give him a heads up to come check this thread.

As far as the alignment tool, the factory left it attached to the shifter like Banger said, nothing fancy, just holds the shifter in place while you align the cables.

turbovanmanČ
08-15-2011, 04:15 PM
As far as the alignment tool, the factory left it attached to the shifter like Banger said, nothing fancy, just holds the shifter in place while you align the cables.

:needpics1:

Directconnection
08-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Exactly, I've never seen this "tool" before... pix?

omni_840
08-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Exactly, I've never seen this "tool" before... pix?

The guy I bought this shifter said this was the tool
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/omni_840/IMAG0636.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/omni_840/IMAG0637.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/omni_840/IMAG0638.jpg

banger68
08-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeap. That's it ... in all it's glory. ;)

Rod Enis
09-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Sent you a PM, any updates?

EaZyE426
08-30-2017, 09:35 PM
Maddog out of business? Website is no longer registered.

masterjr33
08-31-2017, 12:10 PM
Try the emails.

If you have any questions, or, if you have a stock shifter assembly you want to sell, please PM me, or send an email to chuck@maddogsts.com, or aclnes55@yahoo.com

EaZyE426
09-02-2017, 12:26 PM
I emailed him a few days ago, he's still in business. I didn't ask about the website.

Wastelands Warrior
09-02-2017, 02:42 PM
I have one of his shifters in my R/T. Love it.