PDA

View Full Version : Difference in spring rate/stiffness of front springs

g0bbledeeg00k
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure if there is a difference in the spring rate or stiffness of the front springs between a manual trans car and an automatic trans car. I bought an Aries conversion project to finish up that sits high in the front. I know the car was originally an automatic car and now has a 568. Is there a difference in the front suspension?

I have already checked the front sway bar to be sure it's not in upside-down since I know that does set the front end high. The sway bar is installed properly. The gap between the rear tires and the wheel wells seems to be about right and I don't have any squishiness in the rear suspension (at least not any more than can be expected on stock suspemsion parts) so I'm not thinking it's bad rear suspension. The gap in the front seems excessive. I am leaning toward the front springs since I know the autos are usually heavier than manuals but I need to know for sure. I'm planning on lowering the car soon so, if the springs are the problem here, the issue should be solved. Any insight would be appreciated.

P.S. see my signature picture to see what I'm talking about...

Vigo
01-26-2009, 01:49 PM
bad news!

The front is factory correct. The rear is sagging. Hard to believe, huh?

the manual is about 60 lbs lighter than the auto so that does make a difference. Im fairly sure the springs ARE different. But to me, that doesnt mean you should go out of your way to find a factory correct (factory crappy) spring.

Cut the front springs til its level. Just time and energy, almost free. Expect to take it apart more than once if you want it perfect, and dont cut too much off on the first shot, you cant get it back! Also, shelby springs are a bit shorter, noticeably stiffer, and can be had out of a junkyard for like $10 a piece if you want to go that route.

A friend and I are turbo-converting my 89 aries currently. Good to see someone else doing the same.. Its not often someone does one of these cars.

g0bbledeeg00k
01-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, if it's the rear sagging, it's even easier to fix:eyebrows:. I'm not going to go the spring-cutting route. I'm going with the Eibach lowering springs and good struts/shox. Also, the car will be getting the wheels & tires off my Cavlier, a front strut tower bar, a rear "strut tower" bar (I know it doesn't have struts in the rear ;)), and a rear sway bar.

g0bbledeeg00k
01-27-2009, 04:18 PM
A friend and I are turbo-converting my 89 aries currently. Good to see someone else doing the same.. Its not often someone does one of these cars.

Actually, I am finishing up the conversion. It was about 95ish% done when I bought it from someone else here on TM. I love it because my first car was an '88 Aries 2.5 auto. This car is the perfect combo of my love for turbo dodge and nostalgia:peace:.

turbovanmanČ
01-27-2009, 06:13 PM
One thing about the GM wheels, they sit in alot more than TD wheels so your limited to a 205 tire or less unless you use spacers.

Vigo
01-27-2009, 11:02 PM
i saw a shadow with some cavalier factory 16s on it today and it looked surprisingly good and i am usually a nazi about wheel offset 'killing the look' if it isnt right.

Plus, he didnt say his wheels were factory necessarily..

also, you'll probably end up having to cut the eibach fronts too if you ever want it to sit level. just FYI.

BadAssPerformance
01-27-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure if there is a difference in the spring rate or stiffness of the front springs between a manual trans car and an automatic trans car. ...

For these cars, and from what I have measured, most of the front springs are the same... for example, '87 Shadow ES manual and '88 Shadow ES automatic were identical.

g0bbledeeg00k
01-27-2009, 11:48 PM
One thing about the GM wheels, they sit in alot more than TD wheels so your limited to a 205 tire or less unless you use spacers.

Thanks for the info. But the wheels on my Cavalier are already aftermarket wheels. I had a similar set on my '87 Shelby Z a few years ago and I had no problems. I realize there are differences between the Shelby Z and my Aries, but it takes almost no time at all to swap wheels so I'm not worried about it working or not. If I have problems, I'll just take 'em back off.

g0bbledeeg00k
01-27-2009, 11:53 PM
also, you'll probably end up having to cut the eibach fronts too if you ever want it to sit level. just FYI.

Well, if it comes to that, I might just deal with a car that doesn't sit quite level unless it just looks awful. I've never cut springs before and I don't plan to start ;)

Vigo
01-28-2009, 09:14 PM
people just get scared off by the horror stories created by all the impatient amateurs. I've cut springs on a bunch of my cars to get the stance right and never had a bad experience once. I've always used a metal blade on a circular or miter saw, never a torch, and the only time i cut too much i was able to 'fix' it with coil spreaders. Granted, cutting will never turn a factory spring into a performance-oriented spring, but cutting a spring does not ruin it or make the ride suck automatically.

i say grab shelby springs from the yard for $18 + tax or whatever and see where that gets you.