PDA

View Full Version : "Suck Through" turbo removal

85_600
04-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Ok, I'm a newbie when it comes to engine work and removing items like the intake and exhaust manifold.

Basic question here: In my "Haynes" book (I know, I know :o ) it says, as one of the steps to removing the turbo, to remove the right drive axle. All I'm doing is fixing the compression problem (pulling the head) and converting to a T2 setup. I'm doing this with the engine "in car"...Do I "Really" need to remove the axle to get the turbo out? Or, when pulling the head, once the head is out, just pull the turbo out from the top?

Thanks!
Paul

cordes
04-07-2006, 04:40 PM
I have only had my log car for a very short ammount of time, but I see absolutly no reason to remove the right side axle to pull the head.

You will need to disconnect every thing from the head that is needed to pull it, and then remove the turbo once the head is off. I believe that the turbo is pretty easy to pull on the log cars with the head on. Although if it has not been off of the car in 20 years and it is your first time, I would not reccomend doing it that way.

altered7151
04-07-2006, 05:08 PM
There's no need to pull the axle, as long as you unhook the coolant line from the back of the block (be prepared to get wet) and can disconnect the exhaust donut (lots of PB blaster is you best friend on that one) you're fine. And dont forget to unbolt the turbo to block brace. That should be all you have to do on the back of the block, and its all accessible with the axle in.

85_600
04-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I have only had my log car for a very short ammount of time, but I see absolutly no reason to remove the right side axle to pull the head.

Probably my bad here:o It was listed as having to remove the axle to actually remove the turbo, not the head. BUT, I figured that since I'm pulling the head anyways, there will more than likely be enough room up top to pull the turbo out rather than the "Haynes" way - pull out from under the car.

cordes
04-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Probably my bad here:o It was listed as having to remove the axle to actually remove the turbo, not the head. BUT, I figured that since I'm pulling the head anyways, there will more than likely be enough room up top to pull the turbo out rather than the "Haynes" way - pull out from under the car.

Even if you are pulling the turbo you still don't need to pull the axle.

85_600
04-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Even if you are pulling the turbo you still don't need to pull the axle.

Heh, from what I've read on here and TD.com, when I read that comment in the Haynes book I was like "WHAAttttt"??

No problem then...cool. I didn't think so but I needed to check anyways. It's just me :o

R/T
04-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Only reason they say to do that is to get better access to the turbo support bracket bolt on the bottom, just behind the axle.

About this [ ] close.

You don't need to do it.

Remove the head/turbo/manifolds as a unit.

Careful, it weighs about 80LBS.....:faint:

Spraynlog
04-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Only reason they say to do that is to get better access to the turbo support bracket bolt on the bottom, just behind the axle.

About this [ ] close.

You don't need to do it.

Remove the head/turbo/manifolds as a unit.

Careful, it weighs about 80LBS.....:faint:

+1 on what R/T said, you will do better with 2 people lifting the head/Manifold/Turbo out of the engine bay.

85_600
04-07-2006, 09:48 PM
It's been mentioned that a hoist would help. I just so happens that my fathers neighbor works on Mopars as well :thumb: and has one:thumb: :thumb: He races the V-8's though...N/P...:)

Phreakish
04-12-2006, 11:35 PM
I've replaced my turbo 3 times now w/o removing the head OR anything else. It IS easier if you pull the passenger tire, you can get to more, much easier.

the fastest way I've found is:

remove the fuel rail and TB (unbolt the entire elbow from the front of the turbo to remove the TB, that is, if you have no EGR like me).

Unhook all wires and throttle cable.

Unhook the coolant line, then the oil line (use a flare wrench! and some heat maybe)

Unbolt the turbo from the manifold

Unhook the oil return and coolant feed (coolant feed from pass. wheel well)

Unbolt the exhaust doughnut.

Good to go, remove the turbo from the drivers side...

For me, when removing the HEAD, it was easier to drop the turbo off the manifold first and remove the head sans turbo then install with the turbo ON there. That way you have less to get suck and make you drop the head onto a dowel or something...

I'd also remove the distributor, as its easy to destroy the wires if you slip with that heavy head in your hands... dont ask ;)

mark
04-13-2006, 07:51 AM
also, when removing the head. there are 2 pins on top of the block that set into recesseses in the ALUMINUM head to keep it centered. be very careful. once you lift that head up, if you have to put it back down, just be aware of this so you don't nick up the head from that pin.

turbo xtc
04-30-2006, 07:54 AM
no just easier access fro the turbo support if you have half shafts and can't get the bolt out take the top of the support off at the bottom of the turbo or if you have half-shafts remove the support for them and swing the intermediate away but i put a shorter bolt in when i changed the motor in mine it makes it easier