PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a Phenolic spacer for a TIII?

turbovanmanČ
01-24-2009, 10:16 PM
I am planning on making one for my van, out of 1/2 inch thick material, for the intake manifold to head. I think I have enough material to make 2-3 more. Anyone interested? It will to be determined next week, have to see what the machine stop charges. Some will be a two piece setup, one or 2 one piece. LMK in this thread.

The hole size will be as large as the gasket.

mark
01-24-2009, 10:29 PM
for throttle body or intake man?

GLHNSLHT2
01-24-2009, 11:44 PM
if they can hold that price you better get all you can. If you machine it dry it throws dust everywhere. If you machine it with coolant well it ruins the coolant and/or clogs the filters. Even if i had more material it'd be $100-150 just because it sucks to dink with.

Simon, will it work with a stock intake mani or do you have to have a plenum of a certain size with cut down runners?

turbovanmanČ
01-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Ok, I'll change it to price to be determined. Its for the intake, sorry. Edited the post.

Directconnection
01-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Use a shop vac while it's machining, that's what I do. Or, lay cheese cloth over the drain above the skimmers.

GLHNSLHT2
01-25-2009, 01:02 PM
yea a shop vac helps if you're machining it dry. If i shove it in the machine I can't lay a filter over the drains as they are auger screws over a conveyer belt with probably a gallon a second of coolant coming out each side. If chips happened to get clogged in the end Oh My we have a huge "lake" of coolant on the floor as it'll empty the 350 gallon tanks pretty quickly. We'll go through 50+ gallons of coolant a day maching some jobs where it just burns off.

mark
01-25-2009, 09:05 PM
i am interested

Directconnection
01-25-2009, 10:22 PM
yea a shop vac helps if you're machining it dry. If i shove it in the machine I can't lay a filter over the drains as they are auger screws over a conveyer belt with probably a gallon a second of coolant coming out each side. If chips happened to get clogged in the end Oh My we have a huge "lake" of coolant on the floor as it'll empty the 350 gallon tanks pretty quickly. We'll go through 50+ gallons of coolant a day maching some jobs where it just burns off.

Burns off.... most likely atomizes off like where I used to work at (GE) Top off the tanks every night before your shift. Auger... Johnford machines?

I used to ave issues on the Johnfords where the previous shift didn't clean that chip catch pan under the auger. Looked ok, but wasn't. It was like a slow drain/sponge where ump-teen gallons of coolant were slowly draining. I'd see the tanks as being half empty, fill them up and all would be fine. But once the machine stopped, the chip tray would slowly add to the tanks level, and then you have a nasty spill all over the entire cnc area.....

GLHNSLHT2
01-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Burns off, atomizes, turns to steam, smoke rolls out the top, just being general. When the end of the auger area get's clogged it's usually because we're churning out chips so fast they build up and jam in the end instead of falling down into the chip conveyor. We run 24hrs a day so we have to fill up during the shift. I get to play on a Mazak FH5800 that we bought in 2001. Well 2 of them since they're hooked together via a robot that moves the pallet's in and out. We have mostly Mazaks and a couple Fadals. Then of course all the other general machine shop stuff like Bridgeports and grinders, a manual lathe etc.

Directconnection
01-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Stealing Simon's thread... consider it a free bump, Simon!

We had Mori's, Johnfords, Leblonds, and Robodrills and a few others. Fadals are ghey. We had one at another shop I worked at. Tool changes are too slow and not an efficient setup. Plus, the conrtols on a fadal are like a typewritter which is bassackwards. The machines at GE ran 24 hours straight for years. Only time they stop is when they break or are waiting to be loaded. I ran a few banks that had 10 CNC machines to each bank. A little too much to setup, maintain, and also operate by oneself.

GLHNSLHT2
01-26-2009, 08:51 PM
yeah no one likes the Fadals but they get the job done. Let's just say we didn't buy them new, nor have we bought one in probably 15 years or more.

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Too funny, :eyebrows: