PDA

View Full Version : conical beehive springs?

spoolinhard
01-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Ive been reading up on the 3.3 spring/ Gm lash adjuster swap.

I have FWD +1mm bigger exhuast valves. My valvetrain ticks like crazy. I have a set of 2.4 lifters out of an 04 model. Wanted to also do the spring upgrade but have heard of problems of dropping valves. i have a heavily ported head and wisecos, I really cant afford to mess them up. Can I get away with this swap or am I limited to stock parts?

rich tideswell
01-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Ive been reading up on the 3.3 spring/ Gm lash adjuster swap.

got a link for that?

turbovanmanČ
01-23-2009, 07:17 PM
No one is dropping valves using that setup. :confused:

Use an LT1 beehive spring, GM 3100 retainers and your keepers. GLHNST or ? runs that setup. I did the old 3.3 springs on my 8valve but the stockers are too weak.

GLHNSLHT2
01-23-2009, 08:00 PM
_ _ 995's from Comp is what I run. They Magnum V8 springs. Same open/closed pressure's as an 061 spring, but lighter and no second dampner. Also can run a huge cam, I'd have to look but something like a .550 lift if I wanted before the springs bind up. Skip the 3.3 springs and go for the 995's.

Simon, It's really simple. Goes Like Hell aNd Stops Like Hell Turbo 2 :) Course now I need to change my nick to MaZi PoWereD GLH (MZIPWDGLH) :)

turbovanmanČ
01-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Simon, It's really simple. Goes Like Hell aNd Stops Like Hell Turbo 2 :) Course now I need to change my nick to MaZi PoWereD GLH (MZIPWDGLH) :)

Now you tell me, :o :lol:

2.216VTurbo
01-24-2009, 12:58 AM
_ _ 995's from Comp is what I run. They Magnum V8 springs. Same open/closed pressure's as an 061 spring, but lighter and no second dampner. Also can run a huge cam, I'd have to look but something like a .550 lift if I wanted before the springs bind up. Skip the 3.3 springs and go for the 995's.

Sweet:thumb: It's running? PICS! (Or are you keeping it a secret like all those other Masi guys:p?)

GLHNSLHT2
01-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Sweet:thumb: It's running? PICS! (Or are you keeping it a secret like all those other Masi guys:p?)

Heh no Alan. It's got a long way to go. I don't have the cash flow you do so I spend a lot of time saving for the parts I want (GT35R and that tilton setup you have) before I can actually start putting it together. Also this was a couple weeks ago http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3355 It looks mostly the same but I was able to get the door dug out. Here's my GLH http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3370 I left the hood up cause it's usually able to handle the 5-6" of snow we get then it melts off and we get another 5-6" and repeat all winter. Well we got over 2ft at once then another bunch of snow and then it got warm and heavy and bent the hood support rod and maybe the hood. I haven't been out to see up close just what I can see from the pathway. Most of my free time this winter has been keeping the driveway's clear for my mother and grandmother and repairing the plow as I bent the framework for it trying to bust down 6ft berms left by the city plow drivers. My daytona is stuck in the shop. Even if I got the gate open I'd be wary about driving my g/f's Liberty down there and not getting stuck or hitting the retaining wall.

spoolinhard
02-05-2009, 05:10 PM

I have a 318 magnum out of a 98 ram would those be the correct springs?
If not where can I get the 995s?

turbovanmanČ
02-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I have a 318 magnum out of a 98 ram would those be the correct springs?
If not where can I get the 995s?

Those will be regular springs, not conical.

BTW, I have some retainers for sale for conicals, $20 plus shipping, ;)

bris09
02-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Those will be regular springs, not conical.

BTW, I have some retainers for sale for conicals, $20 plus shipping, ;)

How much shipped to US zip code 17057?

turbovanmanČ
02-05-2009, 11:22 PM
How much shipped to US zip code 17057?

If spoolinhard doesn't want them, I'll quote it out.

spoolinhard
02-06-2009, 04:04 PM
If spoolinhard doesn't want them, I'll quote it out.

Interested. How much shipped to 51503? Never had anything shipped from canada, is there any hastle?

spoolinhard
02-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Also, where can I get 995s or LT1s?

spoolinhard
02-06-2009, 05:10 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP-CAMS-26918-16-BEEHIVE-LS1-LS2-VALVE-SPRINGS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a 15Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14 QQhashZitem180326575279QQitemZ180326575279QQptZMot orsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Are these what I need?

bris09
02-06-2009, 05:16 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP-CAMS-26918-16-BEEHIVE-LS1-LS2-VALVE-SPRINGS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a 15Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14 QQhashZitem180326575279QQitemZ180326575279QQptZMot orsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Are these what I need?

I believe these are the ones they are talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Comp-Cams-Beehive-Valve-Springs-26995-16_W0QQitemZ330305290738QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item330305290738&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A64%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

GLHNSLHT2
02-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Bris has it right, Look around though. I think Comp and or summit has them cheaper. That's enough to do 2 heads too.

bris09
02-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately they all seem to be right around $200 for the set. I was debating seeing if anyone wanted to split a set.

spoolinhard
02-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately they all seem to be right around $200 for the set. I was debating seeing if anyone wanted to split a set.

Pmed.

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Guys check out this, I can split them up and offer retainers-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=34227

The Pope
02-06-2009, 09:11 PM
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172

read from start to finish, a very old thread but a great FAQ. Then there isn't any more questions on them. The cheapest way to do them is to buy the Comp spring but buy Chevy retainers. The Comp retainers are pricy. The 26995s are rated to .600" lift @ 1.7" installed. You may want the PTs too. If your stock lifters are wore the spring rate is high enough that the lifter will compress instead of the valve opening lol.

8valves
02-06-2009, 09:58 PM
PAC Racing 1518's for me. :)

http://www.pacracing.com/Street_Strip_Springs-PAC_1518_Set_of_16.html

I avoid Comp's whenever I can.

GLHNSLHT2
02-06-2009, 10:15 PM
at twice the price. ouch. Also those are LS1 springs, not the same as the 995 comp conicals.

8valves
02-06-2009, 10:59 PM
at twice the price. ouch. Also those are LS1 springs, not the same as the 995 comp conicals.

I know. I didn't say they were. I got them for free when a good friend of mine from school was their spintron operator.

They're also twice the quality as Comps stuff, but of course, you pay for it.

GLHNSLHT2
02-07-2009, 01:36 AM
I guess I don't see the point in posting about them then. I don't see anything compariable to the 995's on their website.

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2009, 01:38 AM
He was merely stating his preference, like we all like to do in threads, ;)

GLHNSLHT2
02-07-2009, 01:43 AM
ok if we could use those springs fine, but from what I understand we can't. So I don't see the point. I like centerlock wheels but I can't get them for my daytona :( see where I'm going?

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2009, 01:48 AM
ok if we could use those springs fine, but from what I understand we can't. So I don't see the point. I like centerlock wheels but I can't get them for my daytona :( see where I'm going?

I think he used those in his last 8 valve, but I could be wrong, :o

The Pope
02-07-2009, 01:50 AM
He was merely stating his preference, like we all like to do in threads, ;)

Preference and matching what works well is difficult with the 8v 2.2. The installed height is short and you have to have just the right base diameter. Mopar gave the same problem to the Magnum V8s. The Comp and Chevy retainers have a 7 degree lock, many come 10 degree at this point. Then comes the 1" ID used by the Mopar, many use 1.5". So you can show many different places to buy many different types of springs for a small block Chevy but it does apply to us though.

Like the threads bashing Eagle rods, by the time you guys make enough power to need more your on to a different car. Real good is plenty, there isn't a real need for the best. :nod: O and when has price mattered with TD people?:confused2:

Juggy
02-07-2009, 04:23 AM
Real good is plenty, there isn't a real need for the best. :nod: O and when has price mattered with TD people?:confused2:

are you serious with that statement??? :lol:
there are some people out there still caveman'ing their way through in belief the junkyard is the only tried, trusted, and true way :thumb:

altho a majority of those folk appear to be on TDdotCOM

id opt for the Ti retainers....if you can afford them, i sure as hell cant

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2009, 04:42 AM
id opt for the Ti retainers....if you can afford them, i sure as hell cant

With the conicals and smaller retainers, your just as light as regular stuff if you used Ti retainers.

GLHNSLHT2
02-07-2009, 01:40 PM
No simon he means the Ti retainers for the conicals.

GLHNSLHT2
02-07-2009, 01:48 PM
are you serious with that statement??? :lol:
there are some people out there still caveman'ing their way through in belief the junkyard is the only tried, trusted, and true way :thumb:

Yes he's joking. Rob's been on the forefront of the movement to get people to actually spend some money to step up to using some better stuff.

As for the Ti retainers I thought about getting some but yes the price was pretty high. And Ti is actually denser than steel so if the size is the same it'll be heavier. The advantage is you can machine it thinner and have the same strength so that's were the weight savings come in. I couldn't find any weights or see any detailed pics of them so I just went with the steel Comp Cams retainers and locks.

I've got an extra of retainers and locks left over if you just want to split the difference of what I paid for them Jugs.

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2009, 02:45 PM
No simon he means the Ti retainers for the conicals.

And I was saying thats overkill as the smaller retainers are LIGHTER than the regular 8 valve stuff so Ti is cool, but IMO, not worth the cost.

gasketmaster
02-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Yes he's joking. Rob's been on the forefront of the movement to get people to actually spend some money to step up to using some better stuff.

As for the Ti retainers I thought about getting some but yes the price was pretty high. And Ti is actually denser than steel so if the size is the same it'll be heavier. The advantage is you can machine it thinner and have the same strength so that's were the weight savings come in. I couldn't find any weights or see any detailed pics of them so I just went with the steel Comp Cams retainers and locks.

I've got an extra of retainers and locks left over if you just want to split the difference of what I paid for them Jugs.

Jay.....I believe the material itself is definitly lighter ;)

If you measure the weight of two 2.05 Chevy intake valves that are dimensionally identical one steel and one titanium.....the titanium valve is considerably lighter :nod:

gasketmaster
02-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I have conical springs on my new head but it needed to be machined for the springs to fit properly......they're kinda beefy :D

The Pope
02-07-2009, 04:51 PM
I have conical springs on my new head but it needed to be machined for the springs to fit properly......they're kinda beefy :D

The 26995s are the same seat pressure as the MP S60 springs at about 145 lbs. How much seat pressure do yours have?

gasketmaster
02-07-2009, 05:29 PM
The 26995s are the same seat pressure as the MP S60 springs at about 145 lbs. How much seat pressure do yours have?

I don't remember off the top.......I'd need to dig up the paper work :)

8valves
02-08-2009, 10:15 AM

Shh! Terry, don't say that! If the springs aren't an exact comparison to the 995 Comp spring, and they don't drop right into the cylinder head while a magical fairy does the install for you then nobody needs to know about them!!

:D

GLHNSLHT2
02-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey Aaron why don't you quit being coy and just let us know what's up. The 995's are great, drop right in and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. But if there's something better out there then tell us WHY it is better and WHY it it worth machining the head to do so. I assume terry is using the springs above you posted about? That's all we're asking.

The Pope
02-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Hey Aaron why don't you quit being coy and just let us know what's up. The 995's are great, drop right in and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. But if there's something better out there then tell us WHY it is better and WHY it it worth machining the head to do so. I assume terry is using the springs above you posted about? That's all we're asking.

Even the stock 3.3s cheap springs don't go bad. So I have no worrys about the comps, both don't have harmonix like a regular springs. So the longivity issue is moot. Then they have 145 closed and 285 open and are good to .600" lift. So they work with any cam. Then a conical, not battling harmonix is equal to spring pressures 30% higher on a regular spring.

So basically just by the math and the design other than running 9,000 RPM for 1 million miles at over 200 PSI of boost whats the gain here for custom? :confused: Are they a super light Ti spring? What's the percent of gain on a 8v 2.2, .001%? :clap: Or isn't something REALLY GOOD like a spring equal to a Comp but something you buy in the junk yard for $2, which would really make it worth it.:thumb:

8valves
02-08-2009, 03:51 PM

I'm not being coy. I made mention of a great alternative spring when someone is thinking of switching to a conical setup and you particularly said it to Simon that there was no point in mentioning it since it didn't directly compare to the 995, so I shut up.

If you want to know why, then I'd be more than happy to tell you. Also, I have no idea what spring Terry is running.

I chose that spring because late 06 to early 07 Comp switched their spring supplier from Peterson Spring Company (PAC Racing, for their HP lineup) to American Spring Wire Corp. They went through the high failure rate of the conical 918 spring for the LS1 group after switching, so save costs of course.

Not wanting to grenade my engine, and having a friend who worked within PAC who could tell me all kinds of issues they were finding while testing competitors springs, these were the Bees Knees springs for the LS1 world. It met the requirements for my camshaft with a little room to spare, were super light, and were made from the best material PAC had at the time for a street/strip application, with the most processing done (making it a better spring in longevity than their own, lesser pieces).

Since then, PAC has overtaken the Pro Stock market with their superior quality pieces. There are other great companies out there too, don't get me wrong.

In the meantime I had been through two different sets of comp springs post-switch to ASWC as the supplier. One set for my motor that had the correct height, but were up to .060" slanted. In case nobody noticed, the size OD spring that was gave that enough room to contact the cam towers with ease.

The second set were for my brother's car and they had lost their spring rate after just one dyno session, and also had some straightness issue upon pulling them out.

That was enough for me to not want them anymore. Others results may vary. :)

turbovanmanČ
02-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Even the stock 3.3s cheap springs don't go bad. So I have no worrys about the comps, both don't have harmonix like a regular springs. So the longivity issue is moot. Then they have 145 closed and 285 open and are good to .600" lift. So they work with any cam. Then a conical, not battling harmonix is equal to spring pressures 30% higher on a regular spring.

So basically just by the math and the design other than running 9,000 RPM for 1 million miles at over 200 PSI of boost whats the gain here for custom? :confused: Are they a super light Ti spring? What's the percent of gain on a 8v 2.2, .001%? :clap: Or isn't something REALLY GOOD like a spring equal to a Comp but something you buy in the junk yard for $2, which would really make it worth it.:thumb:

I beg to differ, the stock 3.3 springs I installed were worn out, only 60 psi closed seat pressure, but other than that, they are a nice upgrade and if I ever get an 8 valve again, they will be on the list.

I'm not being coy. I made mention of a great alternative spring when someone is thinking of switching to a conical setup and you particularly said it to Simon that there was no point in mentioning it since it didn't directly compare to the 995, so I shut up.

If you want to know why, then I'd be more than happy to tell you. Also, I have no idea what spring Terry is running.

I chose that spring because late 06 to early 07 Comp switched their spring supplier from Peterson Spring Company (PAC Racing, for their HP lineup) to American Spring Wire Corp. They went through the high failure rate of the conical 918 spring for the LS1 group after switching, so save costs of course.

Not wanting to grenade my engine, and having a friend who worked within PAC who could tell me all kinds of issues they were finding while testing competitors springs, these were the Bees Knees springs for the LS1 world. It met the requirements for my camshaft with a little room to spare, were super light, and were made from the best material PAC had at the time for a street/strip application, with the most processing done (making it a better spring in longevity than their own, lesser pieces).

Since then, PAC has overtaken the Pro Stock market with their superior quality pieces. There are other great companies out there too, don't get me wrong.

In the meantime I had been through two different sets of comp springs post-switch to ASWC as the supplier. One set for my motor that had the correct height, but were up to .060" slanted. In case nobody noticed, the size OD spring that was gave that enough room to contact the cam towers with ease.

The second set were for my brother's car and they had lost their spring rate after just one dyno session, and also had some straightness issue upon pulling them out.

That was enough for me to not want them anymore. Others results may vary. :)

Good info, I have heard that Comp Cams stuff wasn't as good as it used to be. How about Crane springs as a cheaper alternative? Others?

8valves
02-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Good info, I have heard that Comp Cams stuff wasn't as good as it used to be. How about Crane springs as a cheaper alternative? Others?

I really don't have anything, good or bad, on other companies. I don't have any actual experience to go off of with them.