PDA

View Full Version : Should I resurface the head after I remove it to replace a leaky turbo?

STEVE B
01-21-2009, 10:57 PM
I wondering if I should take the head to a machine shop to have the resurfaced? I need to replace the turbo that is why I am taking the head off. The car only has 71,000 miles on it. Or I bought a rebuilt head off of ebay. Should I used that one? It is a rebuilt mopar one. Thanks For any help. This my first time doing this.

tryingbe
01-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Nope, I would not resurface the head. Clean the mating surfaces up with brake cleaner and use mopar performance head gasket and new head bolts.

BadAssPerformance
01-22-2009, 12:04 AM
No need to resurface unless severely gouged or not flat.

thefitisgay
01-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Nope, I would not resurface the head. Clean the mating surfaces up with brake cleaner and use mopar performance head gasket and new head bolts.

+1 cant beat the mp gasket .... and i was told that they spent big dough on research to design a gasket so that at the dealerships all they had to do was loosen the head jack it up by trhe exhaust slide the old gaskte out and put the new one in then it was out the door

bakes
01-22-2009, 12:13 AM
+1 cant beat the mp gasket .... and i was told that they spent big dough on research to design a gasket so that at the dealerships all they had to do was loosen the head jack it up by trhe exhaust slide the old gaskte out and put the new one in then it was out the door

wow wow wow if we did that a a dealerahip and were caught they tell us to take are tool box home!!!! take the head off and clean it right! the 1st time.

boost geek
01-22-2009, 12:18 AM
No wonder I do my own work.

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Milling is a 50/50 chance. If it is warped more than .003" I believe, or has pitting/wear marks around the chambers and water jackets, have it machined. If you have a new head, why not use that, :thumb:

Get the gasket that ends in 005.

BadAssPerformance
01-22-2009, 01:33 AM

Yeah... slip-n-slides are how some techs slam hours, but not recommended!

Of course I say this and thats how we did the HG on my Shadow in the hotel parking lot at the 2003 Mopar Nats :eek: 13.01 1st pass off the trailer the next day :D

thefitisgay
01-22-2009, 01:35 AM
i didnt recomend it ... im just saying...get the mp gasket

BadAssPerformance
01-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Right on :thumb: I think we're just saying thats not recommended by mopar so not where that came from? :confused2:

gasketmaster
01-22-2009, 05:06 AM
It can't hurt to have the surface inspected by an expert ;)

To assume it is flat and in perfect condition simply because it was running before is probably not the best thing :D

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2009, 02:20 PM
It can't hurt to have the surface inspected by an expert ;)

To assume it is flat and in perfect condition simply because it was running before is probably not the best thing :D

Exactly, :nod:

OmniLuvr
01-22-2009, 05:53 PM
when i swapped my turbo, i basiclly built another head. new head, bolted on cheap junyard manifolds (i actually had them laying around from another project), threw a cam in it, bolted on the new turbo, so when i removed the old head and turbo, i had a new one ready to throw on. way less down time, but what did you get a new head for in the first place?

STEVE B
01-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I got the head really cheap. It is a mopar remanufacturer head with gaskets. I will go ahead and pull it and see how it looks and will change if it needs it then. Thanks for the help.
Steve

butchsuppe
01-23-2009, 02:37 AM
I'd replace the turbo without removing the head, done it many times.

Directconnection
01-23-2009, 04:32 AM
I know someone who did the slip and slide.... and it was leaking less than 2 years later. On both of my VNT cars, I removed the head and had them milled not caring if they were warped, or not. i wanted a good surface finish (and total flatness) for the best chances at sealing, and lasting a LONG time. I beat the SHAT out of both cars for YEARS (even leaned one out at 22+psi on a 2 bar cal) and never had an issue. If not for pulling both engines, they would still be going. Just make sure whoever does the milling that you get a GOOD finish. One shop that did my Intrepid's heads did a nasty job. Looked as rough as a rasping file.

STEVE B
01-23-2009, 08:43 PM

Can you do that on a Charger?

TurboTurismo
01-23-2009, 08:49 PM

The Turbo can be done without head removal ... I did it on my L Body easily... BUT.. I do not have power steering and the engine has low miles so there was no rust... When I put the new Turbo on I did the SV last.......That allowed for alot of room bolting up the flange to manifold. Just don't forget your oil feed and coolant line feed to the Turbo hook-ups.. Makes for some real nasty words to fly out of your mouth trying to get them on the turbo after its on the head.... Or you could get one of TU's manis and remove the Turbo anytime you like with ease...... .. Good luck...:thumb:

Also... I have had success with the slip n slide HG on REALLY low mile engines where the owner demanded it BUT I still do not suggest slip n slide... Nice to be sure and not sorry :( Too many good reasons to get the head off, checked and so on:clap:

Robb

Proud OSDAC Mod & Member

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291434
84 Plymouth Turismo TURBO!!~89 CB 2.5-89 SMEC Rewire~TII Garrett~Intercooled~Socketed SMEC w/D-CAL soft by(SHELGAME) 3 Bar Map~Turbosmart BC,~+20 MP Injectors~255 HP Walbro~89 F/MiniVan~RearMP Shocks~HKS BOV~CAI ~ 5 Bolt swap & 16" Pumpers soon~ More to come!

turbovanmanČ
01-23-2009, 09:20 PM

Just take the head off, its way easier and most times faster. Unless its just been apart, I wouldn't attempt it.