PDA

View Full Version : no start

86shelby15psi
04-07-2006, 12:29 AM
my buddys 86 daytona turbo z won't start you can here the fuel pump,injectors,pm click but when u try to start it nothing at all what could it be?

turbovanmanČ
04-07-2006, 12:52 AM
What do you mean nothing? does it crank over? if so, have you checked for spark at the coil, if yes, then at the plugs?

Dave
04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
When you start it, does it crank? If you don't hear any spark or cranking, does it just click?

Run codes at all??

We need more info bud.

86shelby15psi
04-07-2006, 09:33 AM
nope don't even turn over

altered7151
04-07-2006, 09:35 AM
nope don't even turn over

I would start with the starter then. Do you at least get a clicking sound when you hit the key, or is it just silent?

Did you try push starting it if is a manual?

turbovanmanČ
04-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Get a test light, check for power at the big lug at the starter, key off-if yes, check the little wire for power-key cranking-if yes, change the starter. If no on the big wire, check the battery and terminals then check the big power wire. If no power at the little wire, check the ignition switch and relay.

midohiomoparsource
04-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Ok, have a similar problem, hate to jack a thread, but no since in starting a new one.

86 turbo New Yorker.
Starter just clicks. After fighting for almost 2 hours last night, at midnight we finally got the starter out.

Basically my ? is, IS THERE A SECRET TO GETTING IT BACK IN??
I do not want to fight it for another 2 hours to get it back in.

Matt

GLHSKEN
04-09-2006, 09:19 AM
86 starter = the BIG one. Nope just a pain in the ---. I removed the turbo to block brace and removed the int axleshaft bracket so it could hang down. No matter what, it's a PITA.

If you are replacing Matt, go with the 89 and up nippendenso style, half as big around and much easier.

turbovanmanČ
04-09-2006, 04:32 PM
I think Ken is talking about the little Nippo Gear drive one, the solenoid is tucked down and has its own heatshield, they came on 86 and up cars, I have one and its awesome. You can also get the Bosch, its a gear unit and its small aswell-just make sure to use some sort of heatshield or you'll burn up the solenoid.