PDA

View Full Version : How easy to turbo a 'regular' PT?

ShelGame
01-20-2009, 11:42 AM
How easy would it be to turbo a 'regular' PT Cruiser? The employee lease plan here at work is taking a turn for the worse and I think I'd rather buy a PT Turbo when my current lease is up. But, PT Turbos are harder to find - especially in black (which is what I want). But, I can find regular black PT's all day long for really decent prices. So, how hard would it be to add the turbo down the road? About the same as turboing an '01+ Neon? Any websites for guys who've done it?

Oh, and I'd keep the 4-speed auto...

mario03SRT
01-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Shel,

I've been looking at GT Cruisers and PT Cruisers with the 2.4 turbo. As they are Mopar cars they have no resale and can be bought very reasonably. Be sure to get the High Output FMIC model.

Having said all of that, IMO to turbo an NA PT would be very expensive and labor intensive only to have still some glitches in the tune. Especially if you expect it to haul ---.

I have seen post around on the conversion but no single source that I can recall.

Exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, turbofold, IC, ecu/standalone/diablo, intake, SRT4 internals, on and on..............like you said just like doing a base model Neon.

FYI,
Marion

Vigo
01-20-2009, 01:32 PM
i can see being picky about the color, but PT GT are cheaper than used srt-4 and generally in much better shape.. id buy a factory one!

SoCalCSX
01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Hahn Racecraft used to sell a kit but not anymore, might see one pop up on ebay or the PT forums every once in a while. That would be the easiest way. Next would be a swap from a wrecked PT turbo but you would need pretty much everything from the firewall forward under the hood. Depending on what year you get the trans and engine ECU's are two seperate units.

I would hold out for a PTGT IMO, they can be had for cheap if you are patient. I picked mine up for $6k with 70k miles. Now if you hold out for a PTGT and want to mod it the 04-05 is the best because just like the SRT-4's, those years came with the Stage 1 injectors already in them.

Oh, ALL turbo PT's came intercooled. Even the 180hp turbo lite's. The difference is the tune allowing them to run on low octane gas.

ShelGame
01-20-2009, 02:19 PM
From what I've seen, PT GT's around here are still going for $8-10k. Only slightly less than the SRT4's. But, I have to assume they are not beat on as much as the SRT's. I'd like to find one with 50k on it or less as I drive about 15k/year and don't want it to be all worn out in just 2 years.

I would definitely use the factory parts. But, it won't stay stock for long. That's one of the reasons I was thinking of building it up from an NA PT. Also, I had thought about maybe using the 420a head and mexican Stratus manifold to put the turbo up front.

NA Pt's seem to be going for 3-4k less than the GT's. I'm guessing I can do the conversion for less than 3k. But then, the GT's come with a lot of nice features. Oh well, I have several months to figure out what I want to do.

Oh yeah, did any of the special editions (Dream Cruiser, etc.)come in GT form? I also really like the Copper color dream cruiser...

SoCalCSX
01-20-2009, 02:26 PM
From what I've seen, PT GT's around here are still going for $8-10k. Only slightly less than the SRT4's. But, I have to assume they are not beat on as much as the SRT's. I'd like to find one with 50k on it or less as I drive about 15k/year and don't want it to be all worn out in just 2 years.

I would definitely use the factory parts. But, it won't stay stock for long. That's one of the reasons I was thinking of building it up from an NA PT. Also, I had thought about maybe using the 420a head and mexican Stratus manifold to put the turbo up front.

NA Pt's seem to be going for 3-4k less than the GT's. I'm guessing I can do the conversion for less than 3k. But then, the GT's come with a lot of nice features. Oh well, I have several months to figure out what I want to do.

Oh yeah, did any of the special editions (Dream Cruiser, etc.)come in GT form? I also really like the Copper color dream cruiser...

There are turbo Dream Cruisers, I just don't know which years. My best guess would be '03+ like the regular turbo PT's.

turbovanmanČ
01-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Did the auto's come with a turbo???

I haven't worked on one so just talking out loud but I can't see it costing that much or it being that hard to turbo one, like turboing a Neon. Find the turbo manifold, fab up your own IC and pipes, use a tuner to download the turbo cal, etc. He could probably find the parts on Ebay or ? for under a grand.

I honestly can't see it being that hard!!!!

BadAssPerformance
01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
From what I've seen, PT GT's around here are still going for $8-10k. ....

Not around here... some can be had for $5k-$6k

mario03SRT
01-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Hahn Racecraft used to sell a kit but not anymore, might see one pop up on ebay or the PT forums every once in a while. That would be the easiest way. Next would be a swap from a wrecked PT turbo but you would need pretty much everything from the firewall forward under the hood. Depending on what year you get the trans and engine ECU's are two seperate units.

I would hold out for a PTGT IMO, they can be had for cheap if you are patient. I picked mine up for $6k with 70k miles. Now if you hold out for a PTGT and want to mod it the 04-05 is the best because just like the SRT-4's, those years came with the Stage 1 injectors already in them.

Oh, ALL turbo PT's came intercooled. Even the 180hp turbo lite's. The difference is the tune allowing them to run on low octane gas.

Are you certain about the fmic? I'm almost the certain one does and one does not. 180 hp and 225 hp models. I've looked them over myself.

Marion

ShelGame
01-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Ahh, here's the one I want. Too bad my current lease isn't up for 8 months...

Tangerine Dream Cruiser (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=246185854&dealer_id=75975&car_year=2003&rdm=1232480786222&model=PTCRUIS&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=75&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=CHRY&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=48189&advanced=&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=6200&cardist=88&standard=false&rdpage=thumb)

turbovanmanČ
01-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Ahh, here's the one I want. Too bad my current lease isn't up for 8 months...

Tangerine Dream Cruiser (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=246185854&dealer_id=75975&car_year=2003&rdm=1232480786222&model=PTCRUIS&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=75&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=CHRY&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=48189&advanced=&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=6200&cardist=88&standard=false&rdpage=thumb)

I like those colours, :thumb:

SoCalCSX
01-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Did the auto's come with a turbo???

I haven't worked on one so just talking out loud but I can't see it costing that much or it being that hard to turbo one, like turboing a Neon. Find the turbo manifold, fab up your own IC and pipes, use a tuner to download the turbo cal, etc. He could probably find the parts on Ebay or ? for under a grand.

I honestly can't see it being that hard!!!!

Yes, the turbo models came with autos. Mine is a turbo/auto with the autostick feature.

Are you certain about the fmic? I'm almost the certain one does and one does not. 180 hp and 225 hp models. I've looked them over myself.

Marion

Yup 180hp versions got the FMIC. Cool thing is if you put a stage 1 in the 180hp version or a GT you can't tell the difference because it bumps them both to the same power output. I think Dodge should have offered the 180hp version in Neons too.....

Aries_Turbo
01-20-2009, 07:11 PM
do it like SebringLX did it. using the SCT flash stuff so the ecu is still OBD-2 compliant and fully turbo ready. :) that takes alot of the annoyance out of it. the 4-speed is still controlled by the ecu too.

youd need a 03+ vehicle though.

brian

turboz523
01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
I had an 03 pt gt automatic w/ full 3" catless exhaust, K&N cone filter, and mopar stage 1 computer/injectors. It had tons of power, biggest problem was the computer control of the transmission. Even with the car in 1st gear w/ autostick and the traction control turned off it wouldn't let the motor rev higher than 5900 rpm, if the wheels spun, which they did in first every time, it would shift early, usually between 4500-5000 rpm. Eventually I got frustrated with it, put it back to stock, and sold it. If I would have had a stick shift I'd prolly still have it, cause other than the trans. I loved the car.

neongary
01-21-2009, 08:02 PM
I should think that the trans is stronger/different in the turbo version, so it's not just a matter of thinking about turbo-ing the n/a engine, it's the rest of the drivetrain too.

ShelGame
01-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Well, the 4-speed would get fully built if I did the turbo conversion...

Aries_Turbo
01-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Well, the 4-speed would get fully built if I did the turbo conversion...

it still wouldnt shift all that firmly with the factory programming but i think you know that.

Brian

glhs0426
01-21-2009, 11:44 PM
I should think that the trans is stronger/different in the turbo version, so it's not just a matter of thinking about turbo-ing the n/a engine, it's the rest of the drivetrain too.

Same transmission. Just checked p/n's.

neongary
01-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Same transmission. Just checked p/n's.

I'm really surprised. Guess the N/A isn't going to hurt them anytime soon! I know for sure that the 5 spd versions were different.

J&H Ryan
02-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Look me up when you;re ready to get something. I can get N/As all day long and I've spotted a few GTs from the local dealer auctions.

ShelGame
02-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Oh, that's right. You got an 'in' at the dealer auctions, right? What do PT's usually go for? Though, it may not matter anymore since I need a car that car go 3-wide in the back...

J&H Ryan
02-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Oh, that's right. You got an 'in' at the dealer auctions, right? What do PT's usually go for? Though, it may not matter anymore since I need a car that car go 3-wide in the back...
I got rid of the "in" and got my own license.
What year do you want to get? Theres on 03 for $3500, an 04 for $4000, an 06 for $6500, and an 07 in a cool orange color for $7800. Those prices are approx based on past sales.

And if you need something bigger, I can get all the Chryslers and Fords easy.

ShelGame
02-07-2009, 12:38 PM
An 03 turbo for $3500? That orange is the color I want, though.

What would an ~'05/06 Ram Quad Cab gor for? With Hemi of course...

J&H Ryan
02-07-2009, 11:25 PM
06 18k - $18k 4x4
06 40k - $15-16k 4x4
05 - not much to choose from

Theres not as many hemis to choose from as I thought there would be. None that I saw in 4x2s, but most seem to want 4x4s anyway. Those prices should be a few thousand below market value (after all, thats how these dealers make money).

rich tideswell
02-17-2009, 08:56 AM
I got rid of the "in" and got my own license.

how did you get that?

J&H Ryan
02-17-2009, 10:52 AM
how did you get that?
A bunch of paperwork, commercial address, bonding, insurance, ect. Details if you wanted to consider something like that is at the Michigan SOS or you could work with mine if I got to know ya.

rich tideswell
02-17-2009, 12:10 PM
A bunch of paperwork, commercial address, bonding, insurance, ect. Details if you wanted to consider something like that is at the Michigan SOS or you could work with mine if I got to know ya.

haha, we might have to get to know each other :thumb:

ShelGame
03-02-2009, 03:29 PM
06 18k - $18k 4x4
06 40k - $15-16k 4x4
05 - not much to choose from

Theres not as many hemis to choose from as I thought there would be. None that I saw in 4x2s, but most seem to want 4x4s anyway. Those prices should be a few thousand below market value (after all, thats how these dealers make money).

How about the old Jeep Cherokees? I'd want something from '97-00 (with the new interior at least). What do they go for? Or do they even have vehicles that old?

I'd also consider a Liberty CRD. Ever seen one for auction?

JDAWG
03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
you dont want a liberty diesel

ShelGame
03-02-2009, 04:34 PM
you dont want a liberty diesel

Why not? I have a buddy that uses his to tow with. After a couple of modifications, that is...

JDAWG
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
they have problems, mostly tc and computer realted. A G cherokee diesel would be a better choice.

JMotorsprt
08-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Any updates on your PT progress?

ShelGame
08-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Nope, bought a minivan instead...

Vigo
08-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Nope, bought a minivan instead...

Oddly enough, i would probably own a PT Cruiser by now if they were more minivan-like.. if only they had put about another foot or 1.5 ft behind the rear doors..

Sgt Craig
08-15-2010, 08:14 PM
The Hahn kit with the 4spd Auto was still a turd and a PIA to work on.I hated that freakin thing when we where developing stuff for it.Its probally why I hate PT's so freakin much.Now the 5spd ones ran great.just save yourself the hassle and buy a factory Turbo one.

tractorfix
08-24-2010, 09:48 PM
How about a 2.4 2wd Liberty with SRT power? That would be fun.

ShelGame
08-24-2010, 09:51 PM
I was just wondering the other day if you could swap a 2.4SRT engine into a Prowler? That would be a pretty sweet ride...