PDA

View Full Version : How do you do a burnout with slicks?

turbovanmanČ
04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
I know, sounds funny coming from me but I mounted my slicks tonight, wet down the ground, put on the e-brake and had at her, all I did was drag the rear wheels. Will the ground be more slippy at the track? I could easily do a smoke show with my drag radials at the track, I would just put it in 2nd, two foot it and just sit there, then it would pull forward, the tires would bark and I was done. I am going out tomorrow night so I want to get this right, :thumb:

89DaytonaTII
04-06-2006, 10:56 PM
It's not an issue once your in the water box, they will act the same as the DR's did.

fleckster
04-07-2006, 12:00 AM
The "correct" technique is to roll them through the water box with maybe a quick wheel-hop spin to make sure the tire gets water everywhere, then actually do your burnout just beyond the water box. This way you don't drag and sling all the water out of the box. You just are using the water to ease the start of the burnout. Since you are an auto, you should be able to brake-torque against the converter to build boost then as she breaks the tires loose, you should be spinning hard enough that you can let off of the brakes and it should sit somewhat stationary to spin and get the slicks warmed up. If you start the burnout without moving it will have less traction to try and pull you forward. If you are hooking up without much wheel spin when trying to do your burnout, then you shouldn't have a problem launching as it is hooking. Just be careful as to not over rev doing the burnout if you go much above 4000rpm, try shifting to 2nd. Just remember that you are just cleaning and heating the slicks up, not trying to out show John Force! Also remember, Simon, that you will have to try and launch at a higher rpm with the slicks than the drag radials as they should hook better and if you don't, you'll more than likely bog. I guess it depends on your converter stall and how well your brakes will hold the van in the beams. My LeBaron will hold the car (4 wheel discs) but not by a lot when I can stall it to 14psi. Let us know how you do!

altered7151
04-07-2006, 12:03 AM
With the auto in my daytona I would set the e-brake, put it into first and power brake it to bring the boost up a bit, release the regular brake and give it full throttle. I would only let is spin for a second or two in first then shift into 2nd and it would really start to smoke em. Usually about that time it would start to pull the car, then I'd shift into 3rd and release the e-brake. If you dont power brake it to pull the boost up, it'll just start dragging the rear tires. I learned that the hard way, that was my first burnout with a fwd on slicks, and it was at the drag strip. I looked like a tool out there pullin the --- end of the car through the water box.

turbovanmanČ
04-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Ok, will get to retry at the track. I start in 2nd as my shifter is too hard to move from 1st to 2nd.

I had wet the tires, applied the e-brake and brake boosted in the wet, it barely slipped and then the tires grab and drag my rear wheels, you can see the drag marks on the ashphalt, lol!

Wish me luck guys, :nod:

Turbulence
04-07-2006, 01:05 AM
I have made a number of runs on "rented" M&Hs with my van. Here is what I did: Get into the waterbox. Leave it in second (auto), brake torque with the e-brake on and hit it when they start spinning, when it goes into third release the e-brake and let it pull you out. I think it was Gary D who suggested leaving the water box in 3rd gear, not as hard on the tranny, I think.

I tried spinning with the shifter in first and manually going for second but it spins up so fast I would hit the rev limiter before I shifted.

GO Get That 12.xx, best of luck!! I am looking forward to hearing how you did.

Martin
90 Voyager TII, resting
89 Horizon, dd waiting for the upgrade

Ok, will get to retry at the track. I start in 2nd as my shifter is too hard to move from 1st to 2nd.

I had wet the tires, applied the e-brake and brake boosted in the wet, it barely slipped and then the tires grab and drag my rear wheels, you can see the drag marks on the ashphalt, lol!

Wish me luck guys, :nod:

TurboMinivan
04-07-2006, 01:12 AM
I start in 2nd as my shifter is too hard to move from 1st to 2nd.

I'd be all about fixing that if I were you. ;)

My burnout procedure: I pull up to the water box and stop just short of it, then partially engage the parking brake--just enough so there is serious resistance from the back tires, but they don't actually lock. Then I pull into/through the water (which takes extra throttle thanks to the rear brakes, of course) and stop. I reverify the engine fan is ON and the boost switch is in LOW, then put my left foot on the brake pedal. Once directed to begin, I go WOT with my right foot. When the boost needle crosses 5 psi, I let go of the brake and switch my gaze to the tach. Somewhere between 4500-5000 RPM, I upshift to second. By now the tires are putting out some good smoke and they're heating up. When I feel them begin to bite and the van starts to move slightly, that's my cue to pull the parking brake release. I then ease out of the throttle while the van lunges forward about a length or so. After that, it's time to stage (which is another process in itself).

That's how I did it with my M&H DOT tires, anyway. Now that I've got a sweet new pair of M/T ET Drags ready to go for this season, I may have to experiment and relearn the whole procedure. We'll see.

Good luck at the track!

-Dempsey

R/T
04-07-2006, 07:01 AM
What you are dealing with here is TRACTION!

Feels good, don't it?? :p

Your first launch on slicks will be a smile!!

Also, remember to spin the slicks out of the burnout box, to make sure slicks are dry as you stage.

Makes me *crazy* when someone does a burnout, then rolls through the water, wetting the tires again.... :lol:

BadFastGTC
04-07-2006, 07:32 AM
I would just do a little burnout to clean them off if your slicks are the M&H soft compund. My best 60' without a burnout, 1.76. My best 60' with a burnout, 1.79. Save the slicks and the trans. Try the little "chirpy" just to clean them off. You can then try the big burnout and compare the short times. I never go through the water box when doing the little clean off routine either.

I know, sounds funny coming from me but I mounted my slicks tonight, wet down the ground, put on the e-brake and had at her, all I did was drag the rear wheels. Will the ground be more slippy at the track? I could easily do a smoke show with my drag radials at the track, I would just put it in 2nd, two foot it and just sit there, then it would pull forward, the tires would bark and I was done. I am going out tomorrow night so I want to get this right, :thumb:

TrrboJeep
04-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I would just do a little burnout to clean them off if your slicks are the M&H soft compund. My best 60' without a burnout, 1.76. My best 60' with a burnout, 1.79. Save the slicks and the trans. Try the little "chirpy" just to clean them off. You can then try the big burnout and compare the short times. I never go through the water box when doing the little clean off routine either.
+1 Why go through a complicated burnout box proceedure, if you don't need to. I would just drive around it, your first pass, and see how she bites with a little "chirpy" burnout. :nod:

May the force be with you Simon! :thumb:

altered7151
04-07-2006, 09:48 AM
I followed the advice from Gary's page with my M/T slicks, I would do a pretty good burnout on the first pass of the day to get some heat in them and clean them off, then the rest of the passes I'd do just a little burnout to clean all the crap off, my 60 ft's were pretty consistent that way. There was no improvement with doing a big burnout after the first pass. If is was getting cold out, I'd spin them a little more to keep heat in them though. Try to do a "dry hop" after your burnout the first couple passes to get a feel of where you want the rpms at launch, that way you get a 2-fer-1 on the launch practice per run.

turbovanmanČ
04-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys, awesome info. The compound is L8, M/T says the first run, do a medium burnout to get them warm and such, then after that, just do little ones to clean them off. I will try the one big burnout at the beginning then try avoiding the waterbox next time and see what happens. Its also going to be cold out tonight and they just laid brand new concrete-only had a few weekends so not much rubber laid down yet.

I am so stoked I couldn't sleep, :nod:

Dave
04-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Good info here for everyone. I'm devirginizing myself on slicks on Sunday. This definately helped. :)