PDA

View Full Version : An interesting discovery.

contraption22
04-06-2006, 09:07 PM
In another failed attempt to use an upgraded wastegate actuator, yet retain somewhat decent drivability, I made an interesting discovery.

I had been driving around with a setup that allowed lower than stock boost levels.. about 13psi max. Once I returned the boost control back to stock, I discovered I have about 17psi peak boost dropping to 14-15 b redline.

Now, I'm pretty sure that this is the computer re-learing how to control the boost, overcompensating if you will, for the limited boost I was allowing previously. My guess is this will eventually reduce back down to the normal boost curve.. however for the time-being, it's alot of fun:).

So what I think I will do is hook up a solenoid that blocks off the bleed from the factory boost control solenoid. For commuting back and forth to work, this, in theory would increase fuel economy due to slower spool up, then when the occasion arrises to unleash the full fury, the computer will compensate with this temporaty overboost condition.

I will try this and report my findings.

TurboGLH
04-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Check this out, I posted it over at the srtforums first but you might like it.

Measures injector duty cycle to determine engine load. Boost at all load levels is set by the user, allowing you to run a nice moderate amount of boost at any throttle position, retaining driveability, but at the same time run as much as you want at wot.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2541/article.html

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2542/article.html

Frank
04-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Man, that could be something for us 8V guys to use. It is pretty cool. I never really thought about using something like that for boost control. Most like two stage, but really that is pretty cool since you control your boost level with throttle. I really see that being handy on road courses.

Frank

TurboGLH
04-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Man, that could be something for us 8V guys to use. It is pretty cool. I never really thought about using something like that for boost control. Most like two stage, but really that is pretty cool since you control your boost level with throttle. I really see that being handy on road courses.

Frank

If I get the time this summer (along with a hundred other things) I want to pick one up and give it a shot. It's only $100 plus shipping and from the looks of things should be very simple to assemble. Hell, it seems to use only through hole components.

Whorse
04-09-2006, 02:00 PM
That would be awesome. That said, how would that work with my turbo since it doesn't use a wastegate?