PDA

View Full Version : 90k original rack or reman?

TopDollar69
12-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Which would be a better choice, my original 90k mile rack that looks good and doesnt leak, or a reman from the parts store. I have heard bad things about reman parts, so I figured Id ask first. The whole reason I ask is that sometimes I found my power steering was a little too firm. Is this a common problem, and is there a known fix for it? Also what are your thoughts on reman PS pumps.

Thanks,

Ben Huebner

turbovanmanČ
12-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Nothing wrong with either, I use Fenco reman pumps and racks in my customer vehicles and haven't had one issue in 7 years. Just make sure if you replace the rack, to have your ps system flushed out then you don't put all that crap back into your new rack.
A bad pump will show up as very low or no assist, kinda like manual steering.

supercrackerbox
12-24-2005, 05:53 PM
I put a new (remanned) rack and pump in my Turbo Z about 45,000 miles ago, so far so good. The original rack started leaking like crazy, to the point where it was useless to put fluid in it at all, so I drove it for another week or so, and then replaced the whole system.

TopDollar69
12-26-2005, 12:51 AM
Thanks guys, I must have a bad pump then, as it just seemed to not have much assist most of the time. Im guessing it might be the rack in my other car, because it just seems to have dead spots sometimes.

supercrackerbox
12-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Yeah, you will find have dead spots in the rack from time to time, especially when the car is still cold. Funny I'd completely forgotten about that until you mentioned it.